DVLA Engine swap notification

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by MK1-Tron, Nov 12, 2010.

1. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

[:s]

My MK1 was a 1.1 C, the engine is now a 1.8 16V (KR), which is the correct way of telling the DVLA? Is there a cost involved?

Another issue that i have is the Engine Number is difficult to read due to corrosion on the block, i do know the registration of the car i removed it from, is there a way of getting the engine number from the registration?

Many thanks:thumbup:

2. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

You have to go to your local DVLA office with the logbook...etc, fill-out the relevant forms and pay to have it adjusted, not sure how much off the top of my head but it's not a spectacular amount.

Ring them up.

3. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks, that sounds less painful than i thought! :thumbup:

Just need to confirm my engine number now[:s]

4. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

I think they're more interested in the chassis number of the car you're putting it into... I can't really remember sorry.

5. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks, that sounds less painful than i thought! :thumbup:

Just need to confirm my engine number now[:s]

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Any changes you do, do them one at a time. Don't hit them trying to do all the housekeeping all at once, only to find them turn up with Q-reg ideas.

Engine no... at the top of the block, above the oil breather on a flat machined plate, just below cyl 3.

You're looking at the top of the oil breather in the lower part of the pic:

[​IMG]

7. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

they also require some proof of the job being done correctly,
    engineer report
    something from garage that done the job
    something from manufacter

I sent off my papers to DVLA, which got returned asking for XY & Z
    What I done was ask my local VW dealer to write a letter stating it was done to OEM or above standards & correctly fitted to the vehicle

Helps cut down on random unsafe engine changes, we've all seen those! which can be a good thing?

8. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks guys.

Cheers Chris, i do Know where the engine number is, it is just not been stamped very well.

Your advice is much appreciated:thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  9. dubster67 Forum Member

All I did when I put a 1.8T into my Mk3 Gti was to fill in the new engine number and capacity in the relevant section of the V5 registration document, plus put in a copy of the receipt from the breakers yard I got the engine from, and posted it to DVLA.

No fee involved. Job done, no questions asked.

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

How recently was this though? I think things have changed over time?

11. dubster67 Forum Member

2 months ago.

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Great - top info then.

13. dubster67 Forum Member

In the booklet that usually comes with the V5, ins160, it says on page 5(which is about how much tax you pay) that to change cylinder capacity, which obviously I had to do, then you "need to provide written evidence, on headed paper, from a garage. That evidence must show details of the engine number and the new cylinder capacity."

As I said my evidence was just a receipt from the breakers yard, and it showed the capacity, albeit it just said 1.8, and the engine number.

The booklet also says that DVLA may want to inspect the car if the wheelplan, bode type, VIN, chassis or frame number has been changed.

There's nothing about proof of a competent engine install ie engineers report. I certainly didn't have to provide one and I did the work myself, my car passed its MOT on the 4th this month with no advisories, and is now taxed and on the road.

The only thing that happened in the process was that when I sent the V5 to DVLA to be amended, they sent it back with the cylinder capacity as 17814cc. An 18 litre Golf, now that would have been fun, but how much would the tax have been?:lol:

DVLA - law unto themselves.

14. dubster67 Forum Member

Yes, but I suppose with everything like this, assume at your peril. My experience might not be the norm. Repeat - DVLA - law unto themselves.

15. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Im doing mine when I move house, and I will be providing details of the caonversion my self hopefully it will be fine with the cover letter as I will also inc where I work.

some folks have head it easy with a basic cover letter some seem to have been asked for more... best thing is give as much info as posible along with photos etc ie to show that the conversion sits on the same engine mounts as before and that it uses factory mounts bolted to the block in the factory locations. also state that the same engines are used in the mk2 golf, ie the 8v and 16v which again will help prove that the 2 engines mount up the same :thumbup:

16. m1keh Forum Member

I think they're more worried if you claim to have put a smaller engine in..... tax dodging and all that jazz.

17. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks again,

From the DLVA site:

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

•a receipt for the replacement engine
    •written evidence from the manufacturer
    •an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
    •written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

18. g60_edition_one New Member

Sort of on the same topic, does anyone know how to tell the DVLA that you have changed from right hand drive to left hand drive? There is nothing on the V5, so is there another form to fill in?

19. alex. New Member

Quick question...

Im going to put a g60 engine in my mk1 gti, as both engines are 1.8 8 valves would i have to notify the dvla or just my insurance company?

Cheers,
    alex

20. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

er yeah!!! they are both 8v..... but one has aboout 50% more power and a super charger on it!!!

changing from lhd to rhd or vice versa.... just put a covering note in with your V5, as it will be on the databese some where I belive