Egr fault code mapping out

Discussion in 'Vagcom / VCDS' started by gunit-84, Mar 14, 2012.

1. gunit-84 Forum Member

Mornin chaps, I'm after some info on 'mapping' out the egr on my fabia vrs (1.9 diesel) the car was remapped before I bought it an drives lovely but thought I'd remove the egr and replace with an allard race pipe so I could stop all that crap coating the inlet :) all went together lovely but now I'm getting the engine check light on, vagcom says its egr out of range. I've spoke to a few companies about having it mapped out but they all want silly money to remap the car and reprogram the egr at the same time :( does this sound right or could the egr be sorted with out a remap? I'm located in derby if anyone can point me some where helpful :)

2. Dubnutter Forum Member

M1ke is the chap to speak to

3. gunit-84 Forum Member

Thanks, il see if I can find him.

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

next best thing would be install a smaller holed EGR gasket, keeps the gass flows lower, and within mapped values from the light coming on - if it had a stock EGR setup blocked off

nothing else to do other than remap

5. Collie Forum Junkie

is the egr electrically disconneted? if so have you tried plugging back in to see if the mil still comes on

6. gunit-84 Forum Member

The egr doesn't have any electrical connections, only vacuum. Ive read about the blanking plate with a small hole in the middle but I can't do that cos I've replaced the egr with an allard pipe.

Crispy, when you say mapping do you mean a complete remap or can the egr be mapped out without touching the current remap? ( if that makes sense)

7. m1keh Forum Member

Yes you can get it mapped out without having to touch the current remap. Any tuner who can't do this isn't a tuner, just a software distributor.

But the remapping guys have to make money somehow so are trying to sell you a complete tune when you don't need it.

Unfortunately your a bit far away from me to help you, but I might know of someone who can do it for you at a reasonable cost instead of a full tune cost.

8. Collie Forum Junkie

just out of interest, if the egr has no elec connections how can the mil come on? where or how is egr range measured.

Thanks

9. gunit-84 Forum Member

As far as I know it works on lambda? But could be wrong, I've thought about it and thats the only way I can think off???

Hi mike, what would be a reasonable cost for this? I'm glad it's not a complete remap needed. It's cler like you say that there just out for some easy money.

10. m1keh Forum Member

The ecu has routines built in to measure the change in mass air flow through the airflow meter when the egr valve is openeed. It does have electrical connections too, there is an electronic valve on the vacuum pipe.

A reasonable cost I would put at about 70-100 for someone to do this for you. It is no more than an hours work to be honest, but tools etc cost money so it has to be taken into account for when it is someones sole income.

11. Collie Forum Junkie

so could the vac pipe be routed some how to over come this?

12. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

As above, yes part of the map would need changing but it would need full re flash (remap) to do it

the vacuum lines don't come into it as the later units post 2004 are electric on most engine in VAG range for better control

13. m1keh Forum Member

No, when the egr valve is open the airflow across the MAF sensor drops. This drop in airflow is because that air is replaced with recirculated exhaust gas. If you got the drop in airflow to happen due to different pipework it would have to be with fresh air, which would lean out the combustion too much and cause running issues.

14. Collie Forum Junkie

thanks

15. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

My pre pd tdi's air mass readings went up from 380 at idle with egr activated to nearly 500 after the egr reduction through vagcom...I'm sure pd engines don't have this option in vagcom though

16. gunit-84 Forum Member

Mike where are you based?

17. m1keh Forum Member

I'm in Leamington Spa.

18. gunit-84 Forum Member

Update....today the car randomly turned the fault light off again lol

19. TDI28 New Member

You dont't need to remap you should be able to recalibrate the egr flow through the adaption settings with vag com or such like.

20. Collie Forum Junkie

:thumbup:wonder if some electrical gremlin has rec allibrated stuff for you!!!!!