EGT’s how hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by badger5, Jul 26, 2005.

1. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

LOL.. +/- a little bit of skin..
    sorted.. :clap: who needs gizmos..
    :lol:

2. badger5

sounds good.
    ordered it online last night.
    fitting an autometer "indicator" jobbie today for the ring trip next week.. in case it does'nt arribe in time.
    also order EGT probe and MAP sensor for full inputs..nice little display in the piccy. Looks good.
    thanks for that. :clap:

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

No problems, I`m sure you`ll be very happy with it :thumbup:

4. badger5

its arrived.
    just got to get round to fitting it now.
    [:D]

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

:lol: :lol:

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

:lol: @ Phatty

7. A_N_Other Forum Member

Where are you measuring temperature?

Important is Turbine Entry Temperature (between exhaust valves and turbo) - I would have thought 950 is plenty steady state, with brief excursions to 1000 (less than 2 seconds?)

If you are measuring 1000 after the turbo, you can bet it's 2-300 higher at the inlet, which case it's no wonder the turbine is melting!

I've had to run turbo's very rich to stop exhaust valve heads falling off, but the 20V ones should be good for 1150 or so (Probably)

Wide band Lambda is definately the way to go - std Narrow band sensors are exactly that - narrow! +/- 1% AFR from stoichiometric I would be very suspicious of their accuracy.

8. Guests Banned

the exhaust temp just after the turbo will not be much different than before....I run my lambda about 5 inches away from the outlet of the turbo not where VW put them 3 miles down under the car as this is pointless......stick to 950oC - 1000oC and all is good.

9. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

but there is a drop in temp after turbo by about 250oC, it needs to be in the collector before turbo, but others suggest closer on no.1 cyclinder in the manifold even heard it`s better on number 4 due to less air, but basically its where you like i think long as you know the drop in tempertures or wot the temps should be

10. Lee-GTi Forum Member

I've been look into getting one of these but you say that 900/1000c is normal but the Autometer gauge only go up too 900c or 1600f [:s]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    So the reading would be off the clock all the time! apart from on first start up! :lol:
    Edited by: Lee-GTi

11. badger5

I have'nt measured anything so I dont know hence asking.
    sensors arrived but I wont be putting it pre-turbine as I have read stories of EGT probe melting and damaging turbine. Knowing my luck this would happen to me so I am going turbo outlet with my EGT probe.

From the spate of 20v exhaust valves cracking and failing I think they're failing before 1000'C temps personally. Std cars used hard are showing these valve head cracks and breakages.
    Thats why I have inconel exhaust valves and sell em. Piece of mind.

12. badger5

Given its my exhaust housing which is melting and its right next to the turbo outlet by 2" I am going for this location myself. If I see >950'C then I know its in need of some attention.

13. Lee-GTi Forum Member

don't think you sore my message :lol:

What temp do your gauges go up to!? i wouldd like to stay with Autometer!
    Edited by: Lee-GTi

14. badger5

mines ~1000'C to 1100'C max I believe. digital jobbie which is seperate or part of the Zeitronix wideband thing I bought. I have 2

15. A_N_Other Forum Member

I think things would be far too hot if the EGT probe melts and falls off into the turbo - bigger problems elsewhere!

I'd look for around 800-850 Post turbo EGT, but remeber that you'd have to get a pretty high quality temp sensor to be able to read accurately what is going on. Most cheaper stuff is an indicator only - check where it runs normally and be able to spot when it does something different.

If you are melting stuff on a regular basis, I guess it's just too hot - more fuel and/or more spark advance (or less boost/better intercooling if you're limited there) You'll have to do it whatever the gauges say - maybe try that first before pulling everything apart?

16. Guests Banned

i have my EGT gauge in the collector before the turbo and its fine....i run mine 950 ish degrees before turbo....and its fine....

17. badger5

I have melted the exhaust housing twice now.. 1st time Donington and it consumed its own oil via the breather system on that occasion to the tune of 1ltr, so I thought the cause was oil, knock (which it did), retard ign, even hotter EGT's and meltdown. Worth noting that then I also had all the DP to cat exhaust thermal heat wrapped which contributed to the overheating I think. Since then, it runs water injection, large FMIC (which does work extremely well in conjunction with WI), Cold to touch inlet manifold after ragging round track, seperate oil breather/catch tank system, and baffled sump with oil drain for catch tank. Inlet pipes are now oil free unlike before. Heat management is now done by shields not heat wrap so exhaust DP can radiate heat as they need to.

The recent meltdown @ Combe a few weeks ago is a surprise as I have been driving it on track for most of this year with the aforementioned mods problem free. The only thing I forgot to do is bung in any octane booster, but I only do this as an extra, as its not mapped for special fuel/octane brew, just optimax. It still failed in the exact same manner just slight less warped and melted. Its the not knowing which prompted me to want some extra in-car gauging so I can see when things are developing. Maybe it was fueling and saggy fuel pump? dunno. It ran faultlessly at the ring flat out in 5th in places and the crude A/F gauge I have temp fitted showed rich side of stoich. Not accurate I know but I was maybe expecting to see stoich to lean on the longer runs if fueling ran out. It did'nt appear to tho.

I have a new 1900 motor due anytime now so I cannot afford for this one to repeat its failure and kill its new hybrid turbo. mucho dinero.

EGT and wideband will find their way into it.
    What temp is cherry red on a cast iron housing, as this is how hot it gets on maximum attack on track. 950'C seems the max temp I would like to see, but less with me mounting it on turbo outlet.

I am nervous of using the EGT probe pre-turbine from reading vortex. knowing my luck (which is usually bad [:s] ) I will have used a dud probe, melt it into my turbine and kill the new turbo that way.. LOL

How do you know if a probes good or bad tho..? got 2 of them from the US, both for EGT gauges from different suppliers. I'm not prepared to trust either of them pre-turbine.

All I need is a new exhaust housing tho and the rest of the IHI runs sweet. (got my original one sat waiting)

Bill

18. Chris M Forum Member

I have to agree with this, 950- 1000c is crazy!![:s] Especially when running this temp for more than 10-15 seconds flat out. The wide band Zeitronix gauge is good and i know my mate uses it when mapping.

Just my 2p worth

Chris
    Edited by: Chris M

19. Lee-GTi Forum Member

think i'll get one of the Autometer gauges and see how it goes! i'll be fitting mine after the turbo, I think Bill and I have the same luck when it come to Big Power and 20v turbos lol

20. Chris M Forum Member

What management is everyone running achieving these EGT's, stock motronic or aftermarket??

Chris