Electric power steering in the mk2

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by slimwadey, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Been said before, but quick rack, large sticky tyres and chicanes/snap oversteer = need for power steering
    Jon

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

if it's like the Corsa B/C kit I have the (9) engine running is a squarewave form (pulse) from the engine ECU giving a RPM signal (doesn't integrate to the VAG system!) I have a ebeg box for that which I must get around to sorting as it shares the same pulse to (4) VSS which varies the assistance to the motor depending on speed, whether this is the same on the pug system don't know

I have driven Nige's and it feels factory, but it does have a mk2 PAS rack!! Mine still has manual adjustment to alter assistance, but it is a mk1 rack and electric column

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

rdf1988: not to me, I love my options ;) I'm running a 16v pas rack and I love it, feels just like it did when manual while driving about the place, but easier to park.

supposedly the 16v rack is better than the 8v one somehow, its been said quicker rack but I've found no evidence of that in elsawin shows same ratio lock to lock for em all. what i suspect is its better weighting since there are many who complain the pas on their cars is over-assisted whereas on my 16v rack you can barely feel the assistance when driving?

4. rubjonny

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Tha's the little monkey I used as part of the corsa conversion to my mk1 to make assistance speed related automatically
    Jon

6. foxyjay Forum Member

For me personally, i would prefer variable assistance and the GM orange relay would be ideal however i wont be able to integrate the vr wheel speed sensors, as im already committing to later hall-effect wheel sensors and magentic reluctor rings.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  7. rubjonny

dont give up so easy, im sure you could squeeze both in somehow :p what about a sensor mounted on the gearboxside of shaft/flange? work that grey matter I believe in you :thumbup:

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Plenty of info on the web also about how to...No of teeth on wheel etc
    Jon

9. foxyjay Forum Member

Yes, you're right John / Jon - if I put my mind to it, I could work a trigger wheel into the gearbox flange.....so what if it's not a perfectly consistent signal - it would suit the purpose!

10. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Thread revival, my new Ibiza rally build and the mk2 are going corsa electric, along with quaiffe quickrack!
    Will let you know where I fail/falter.......
    Jon

11. twolitrepinto Forum Member

Look forward to that. love a good retrofit :-)

I also have a peugeot 307 hydro-electric setup to fit soon. fed up of my hydraulic locking up whenever I go through a puddle.
    It will be a challenge as its from a can-bus vehicle but its been done, also offers adjustability if i can work it out.

12. twolitrepinto Forum Member

I'm going to revive this with my own findings in using a Corsa-C Electric setup so far.

Pro's:

very light and easy to park and drive.
    Less weight and clutter in engine bay
    No more slippy PAS belt when i turn right in the rain.
    electric setup only puts load on the alternator when you actually turn rather than a hydro pump running even in a straight line. more efficient.

Cons:
    steering feels vague when car is pushed and precision is needed.
    more in depth description of above, on most old cars for some reason i find that the first 1/8 turn either way on the steering wheel is already light, then it begins to get heavy. when you add electric assist to this, it makes that first 1/8 turn so light, that the car wanders around a lot and you can't feel what the car is doing.
    It is difficult to define whether the tightening of the steering after this point is just because the motor is starting to struggle or the car is actually gripping hard.

standard rack and lower column not designed for the extra stress...

Where the mk2 column simply hooks over the pedal box seems to flex quite a lot, even though the steering feels easy, clearly from the motor down, there is a lot of force being applied, which appears to be putting more than usual stress on the pedal box, as i can feel it moving the clutch pedal.

Overall verdict.
    For this car which is used regularly it does make it easier to drive. with a little extra bracketry at the lower section of the column i think i could live with it, but even after i replaced the rack for a reconditioned one, there seems to be this loose spot, although shaking the steering wheel either way does move both steering arms and wheels even under load.

I think if this was used in conjunction with a nice tight quick rack, it may be better for feel. As it is, the car has lost a lot of the feel when pushing it which takes the fun out of it.

Half tempted to revert back to hyrdo, or some other form of electric setup if i can't get this setup any better.

just for reference i'm using a mk3 VR6 reconditioned PAS rack which is 'looped' with a mk3 ABS sensor in the hub and an orange signal converter relay from a vauxhall corsa so that it does get slightly heavier at speed. even when at speed, this light spot is too light, it is especially poor on the motorway when you never need to turn more than 1/8th...

any tips on getting that looseness out of a normal PAS rack much appreciated.

13. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

corsa B electric defacto for me, along with new quick rack.
    Mk1 done and operating fine.
    Ibiza fully converted, not commissioned yet
    mk2 to follow
    Jon