Elephant insurance accelerator policy

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Rahul, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Rahul Forum Junkie

the 10 month accelerator....

What is the catch here exactly...and i am guessing it is that other companies do not accept it?!

2. vrooooom Forum Member

Yip you get 12 months in the time of 10. Only snag is other insurance companies will only take it as 10months and not credit you the years no claim.

3. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

You get a 1 year NCB after 1 months.. other companies do accept it because when your certificate of NCB comes through it just says you have X number of years NCB. It doesn't mention over how long you earned it...

4. Rahul Forum Junkie

howd you manage that? :lol:

5. damogti Forum Junkie

Some companies dont accept these policies as a full year NCB.

I found this out after having one with Admiral for 20 months and only able to use 12 months (1 year) with another company :clap: [:x]

I wouldnmt recommend them to anyone [xx(]

6. Higgim Forum Member

Don't do it, after some uninsured tw@t crashed into my old Golf my resultant premiums rocketed (lost 3 years NCB) and Elephant were the cheapest quote. Stuck with them for a year then came to renew and managed to get cheaper through HIC but they and the majority of other insurers would not accept the 1 years NCB [:x]

7. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

waste of time, they just trap you into having to get policies from them.

8. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

dont tell me things like this, they're the only company who'll give me a reasonable quote for my gti [:^(]

9. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

just you wait until next year. they'll give you a sh1t quote but you'll HAVE to go with them as your so called NCD isn't worth sh1t with any other company....

10. Rahul Forum Junkie

so, for the sake of 150 quid, its not even worth going on the bloody accel policy!

11. Admin Guest

correct! it really won't be recognised by other insurers, they'll say thats nice you have been insured for 10 months! you won't have any NCD.

12. vdubGolf Forum Member

I really must disagree...

I got a 10 month policy of of admiral, and when I got the renewal letter it clearly stated "1 years no claims bonus".

I had no trouble with other insurance companies accepting it. I'm now with another insurance company.

:)

13. damogti Forum Junkie

Shame Admiral didnt do this for me [:^(] [xx(]

14. Rahul Forum Junkie

i checked with elepants.....

they ahve 30 other insurance companies that recognise this as a proper years no claims on their records

15. S1MMA Forum Member

ok, do the math:

work out the 12 month policy cost, divide by 12 months

work out the 10 month policy, divide by 10 months

which is the most expensive per month???

After this, you have to factor in that you will be getting a years NCB discount after every 10 months instead of 12 months (assuming u dont change insurance company). I considered going the bonus accelerator route, but didnt want the hassle of some companies accepting it and others not accepting it.

I would consider the bonus accelerator if it is a bit less per month than the 12 month policy, cos when you factor in the ncb discount for future renewals it does make it a cheap option. BUT you will be f*cked if you want to change company if for example you change to a high performance car which only one company will insure you for cheap, and that company doesnt recognise your 10 month bonus accelerator. Insurers can ask 'how long have u had your own policy', if it's 1 year and 8 months, they may only give you 1 years ncb which makes the 8 months useless!

16. MrBen Forum Junkie

Some Insurers will accept the 'accelerator' bonus as a year, others won't. But you can be sure that the one which gives you a decent quote in ten months will be the one which doesn't accept the NCB!

17. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

What phatty said happened to me on my first car. Admiral gave me a quote for 800 tpft when I was 17 on my 1.6 CL. This was their 10 month accelerator scheme. They then quoted me 1300 the following year [:x]

My next insurance company would not honour 10 months as 1yrs no claims [:s]

18. Rahul Forum Junkie

as i said above, they have a list of insurers that accept their 10month accelerator...

anyway, when it comes to renewal time isnt there the option of converting it to a normal 12 month policy and just wait another 2 months, if you dont get any decent quotes etc or if other companies do not accept the 10month accel.

19. jake Forum Member

I used Elephant to insure a car I had no intention of keeping longer than a month or so, but when it came to getting the policy cancelled they were quite hard to get hold of, I'd get an auto reply from the e-mail and nothing else. In the end I tracked down thier main office and phoned reception....

20. Rahul Forum Junkie

you could have just phoned their customer service helpline!
    Despite them being an online company they still have people in offices...they are part of anotehr well known insurance company anyhow.