Engine cutting out after 2 seconds

Discussion in '8-valve' started by JayRyder, Dec 8, 2008.

1. JayRyder

JayRyder Forum Member

Hi all,

Just done swapped a 2.0 agg into my 1.6 driver. Its a 1996 engine with immobiliser. It starts for about 2 secs and dies, even if revved up.

Ive connected vagcom up to it and the immobiliser tells me:

Authorised Start = 1
    ECU Answers = 1
    Key Condition OK = 1
    No. of Matched Keys = N/A

The engine tells me Engine start blocked by immobiliser. Plus another fault (unable to see, shareware)

Whys there no matched keys? weird as the immo is allowing the start.

From what ive been reading on here it could be crank sensor? Engine bay earths? ecu relay? Coil?

Also my pumps dont prime, i have to short the connectors on relay position 12.

Any help much appreciated [:s]

2. 8valvedub Forum Member

if its any help i had exactly same problem on my mk3 agg does it start rev to idle speed (2-3 secs )then die

3. 8valvedub Forum Member

i changed lots of parts i did the crank sensor didnt cure it ,went down the ecu relay road didnt cure it ,but replacing it with a second hand ecu did the trick hope it helps

4. 8valvedub Forum Member

i got them same readings off vag com too tried a new immobolisor ,key reader coil had keys recoded the lot i honestly wouldnt be suprised if ur ecu is shot,they are quite prone to rain getting in

5. JayRyder

JayRyder Forum Member

I can read all the sensors from the ecu though, like temps and stuff.

so is the key coded to the immobiliser box? not the ecu? what i mean is, once the box recieves the keycode it wants does it then send the 'start' signal to the ecu?

May look at getting another ecu. Or could try borrowing one!

Anyone in stoke-on-trent got an AGG ecu? :)

6. JayRyder

JayRyder Forum Member

yes it does

7. 8valvedub Forum Member

mine showed all the sensors stuff aswell,if u can borrow one would be ideal you,ll know either way then ,but its exactly the same fault i had m8

8. 8valvedub Forum Member

yes

9. JayRyder

JayRyder Forum Member

The pumps should still prime though im sure, even when immobilised. Maybe it is the ecu, just been looking on ebay but dont fancy spending 100 just to see if it is.

10. 8valvedub Forum Member

i payed 20 quid for a second hand agg ecu find one breaking on ebay m8

11. JayRyder

JayRyder Forum Member

good idea!

12. 8valvedub Forum Member

if i remember right i had fault found but an intermittent one which was engine start blocked by immobilisor which is why i thought tht was my prob i changed the whole immobilisor set up and coded keys still didnt work even a vw tech told me thts the prob lol theres not alot of faults tht can cause them symptoms

13. JayRyder

JayRyder Forum Member

Im gonna start looking for another ecu then, wish I could borrow one to try and save the hassle but its not the case.

Thanks so much for your help

14. 8valvedub Forum Member

its one of the 2 probs either an imobilisor issue ie key need coding or ecu itself .post what u find m8

15. JayRyder

JayRyder Forum Member

will do

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ah didnt realise the car was starting then cutting out in my pm! this is exactly what happens when the immobilisor kicks in, had exactly this on my mates ABF.

It will actually tell you the key coding is the issue in the diagnostics, can you post up that other code you have?

17. 8valvedub Forum Member

yea it does rubjonny i had exact same issue with mine i thought it was immob so i changed it all and re-coded my key still didnt work vw were scratching there heads they said its exact symptoms of immob ,so i thought what the heck n replaced ecu and it ran fine since so id say in hes case it,ll be one of the two:thumbup: :thumbup:

18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

is the key coded to the imob control box then, not ecu? or is it ecu, or is it both :lol:

19. lufbramatt Forum Member

had this when i did my Abf swap, engine would start then cut out.

worked out that the immobiliser needed a permanent 12v supply that for some reason wasnt in the loom, it went to a extra connector stacked on top of the fusebox which was connected to a permanent live, plugged this in and started perfectly. think its a black wire that goes to the little 6-pin connector on the immobiliser, ill see if i can find what pin it is so you can check its getting 12v.

20. JayRyder

JayRyder Forum Member

Ive won an ecu on ebay, 27 delivered, not too bad :) just got wait.

Im going down to the car tommorrow (its at a mates) and will take the laptop and see what codes come up. Ive left the battery off it and disconnected the ecu.

My immobiliser box is wired up like, brown to earth, black to contant 12v, grey/white to ecu and vagcom. Its defo getting 12v as i can read the box in Vag-com.

The box also has a dark grey wire on it. It not connected to anything, rubjonny gave me this link to the box layout, Click me, whats TV14 on this diagram?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008