front hubs with more castor

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Swampyloving, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Swampyloving Forum Member

Ive read within a recent post, which i can not find again that fitting different front hubs can give different castor gains.
    Im not fully up to speed with the hole swop this bit from that car scenario, but if anybody knows of a front hub set up which will fit to a mk2 golf running abf and 020 with 4x100 wheels i would appreciate the advice.
    would be good to know if just straight swop or if bits and bobs need changing(hoping not)

cheers once again knowledge experts...:thumbup:

2. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Well I have been gathering parts for this.

As it is the Mk2 platform runs 1.5 deg of castor and the Mk3 GTI and VR6 and Corrado runs widetrack and 3 or3.5 deg of castor. However not all is that easy.

The disc offset is very different to the mk2 platform therefore if trying to keep 4x100 the caliper is moved very very close to the wheel. You also need to have 5 stud discs re drilled to 4x100. That is as far as I've got due to work commitments !!!!

I'm thinking 280 mm carriers with 256 calipers over my re drilled mk3 discs should fit...............

Mk2 Hub flange will press in no problem as it's the same 72mm bearing mk2 to mk3 hub. But you do need to go gti vr widetrack.

That may sound like a babble but I'm on the iPhone waiting at the barbers [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampyloving likes this.
  3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

expecting a picture of the hair cut baz
    sometimes wonder if it's for track use would it not just be better using adjustable top mounts
    i know thats a no in your case baz

4. blis Forum Member

Its not an easy ask as there are no top arms to speak of to move forward or backwards. Castor induces or reduces the amount of camber change in the turns changing the amount of tyre edge bite. To compromise you could find a sweet spot with toe and camber, toeing in to scrub the outside of tyre and camber to shift the wear back to the inner of the tyre. Another idea would be an adjustable bottom strut mount that could shift the hub forward and rear. 2 cents worth!

5. mk2sp Forum Member

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

wide track hubs are totally different from narrow track hubs

7. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Indeed, non GTI VR6 Mk3 hubs are the same as Mk2 I'm told but the wide track uses a different ball joint and the mount Is offset and not centred like the Mk2. Then the lower arms are different and the cv, roll bar and drive shafts

Swampyloving likes this.
  8. Swampyloving Forum Member

Cheers for input guys.
    I see the thread is bringing up widetrack info...so thought i should add this mod we have already completed, from memory i can not recall which model we took bits off(actually ordered new) but followed the advice from the wide track thread
    We didnt change hubs though as these are the same. we did change drive shafts, wishbones, rods etc etc.
    reason for the extra castor is that on a previously very well detailed thread on here the technical outcome was that more castor the better ( may of been lead towards track and race..but we are race only) and of yet have done nothing but are about to spin the coilover top mounts 90 degrees but the thread i mention relates to something in relation to 10 degrees of castor if running low offset...we have et20 and 20mm spacer may be reducing spacer size to 10mm though.
    I appreciate but dont fully understand the whole scrub radius effect etc and was just hoping i could swop like skydivebaz suggests above . anyone done this?

9. Swampyloving Forum Member

prity sure we didnt change our hubs when we did wide track???
    still 4x100 too.

10. Swampyloving Forum Member

any idea of part number on offset ball joint?
    that would do the trick..

11. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Robt's Ibiza and Nige run/ ran vr6 hubs wide track setup :thumbup:
    Ttrs hubs are the best ? Iirc
    Nige is currently thinking about redesigning his front suspension geometry :thumbup: but you'll have to wait for his input / write up to find out more about his plans :thumbup:
    I have some trick hubs I bought of Robt with the steering arms repositioned see the thread about trick hubs :thumbup: these are supposed to affect bump steer and other stuff but that is currently beyond my technical knowledge [:s]

12. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

if i was doing it again i would use tt-rs hubs, if i could get them. failing that, mk1 tt are good with an early spec forged wishbone. needs a new set of dampers though.

13. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

The ball joint isn't offset as it's the mounting on the Hub itself and they are different to the Mk2 as mk3 uses a ball joint with a nut on the top rather than the pinch bolt. So it's widetrack all in for extra castor.

14. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

widetrack wishbones are a different shape too pushing the wheel further forward. its the wishbone, hub, and balljoint combo. driveshafts are longer but its quite possible that narrow track shafts are fine in a lowered car running lirs -ve camber. either 4 or 5 bolt hubs can be used, with an appropriate outer cv.

Nige likes this.
  15. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

I don't think the wheel is pushed any further forward. Remember the mk3 runs both flavours according to spec.

Cast is achieved by the straight line tangle from top to bottom and that's how it's achieved. The lower arm is angled back and ball joint forward at a guess.

16. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

nope.

Nige likes this.
  17. MUSHY 16V

Wheel will be in the same place regardless
    It's only if you use 5 stud wishbones with 4 stud buds it moves the wheel forward

18. MUSHY 16V

If you look at 4 stud hubs the ball joint is on the centre line
    The 5 stud ones the ball joint is forward of the centre line of the wheel bearing

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Nige likes this.
  19. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Good info :thumbup:

I run modified 5-stud wishbones (ex MK3 VR6) which have increased caster and camber, but you`re right, the stock ones, when used with the corresponding hub don`t.

20. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Thinking about this again after Mushy and Nige's posts, with the full VR/wide track setup, (whishbones/hub/balljoint etc) I don't think the lower arm (wishbone) is angled back as such, it would have to go forwards, but the balljoint is further forwards ahead of the hub centre with the VR upright, so the hub centre stays in approximately the same place.

If you use the narrow track upright on a VR wishbone, the balljoint and hub centre all move forwards. It would be interesting to know what this drives like actually. I did think of using this setup as it makes lowering the balljoint easier to raise the car's roll center hight on lowered cars - this is quite tricky with the VR upright since the balljoint pin is angled and lengthening it pushes it into the brake disk.

Interesting topic :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Nige likes this.