Fuel pump change?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Jackman1994, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Jackman1994 Forum Member

2. Jackman1994 Forum Member

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

4. Jackman1994 Forum Member

rubjonny, your the man!
    So that polo one would work? and I could wire it in of my inline pumps feeds without having to fit a whole new loom?

5. rubjonny

the polo ones drop in the tank, just as i say the plug pokes straight up so space is tight to the metal cover. i think you can get L shaped 3 pin plugs but i cant recall off hand where from :(

the oem lifter pumps are tapped into the main pump power feed :)

6. Jackman1994 Forum Member

And would that swirl pot be fine under the car as I mate swears they have to be in the tank??

7. rubjonny

thats where they are as standard in the mk1 and mk2 :) the mk1 cab/rocco tank as per the linky above and the ETKA diagram is separate, the mk2 its part of the main pump assy (but unfortunately its too big to fit a mk1!)

the lifter keeps the tank full up so the main pump is always well fed. the mk3 gofl and newer have the main pump and swirl pot as 1 unit tucked nicely inside the fuel tank, but again they dont fit the mk1

8. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Okay mate, sounds good! Surely I might aswell buy the polo one as ill need a new 3 pin connector anyway (current one is obliviously only 2 pin). Which one would you buy if it was you? And how easy is the wiring? Would I just try positive and earth on each pin until I hear the pump fire up? Sorry for all the questions mate and thanks for all your help.

9. rubjonny

well for 20 id just have the polo one regardless, and I almost did buy it 'just in case' :lol:

with the plug on top the terminal housing is the same for both its just the rubber boot on the back which ideally needs to be angled to clear. I have a picture showing the terminals somewhere will dig it out and post tomorrow as I think its on me work pc :)

10. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Haha alright then, I will buy that one! (Was hoping you would say that as money is tight :thumbd:)
    Where would I go about buying a plug then? Halfords? Or just look for someone breaking any injection mk2 VW?
    Cheers for all the help mate, true legend! :thumbup:

11. rubjonny

the plug housing is used for quite a lot of stuff, the most common is the unused plug in mk2 golfs for the headlight range control motors. they only have the straight boots on them, but this at least gives you something to start from. you could chop the back and seal it up with silicone to get you on the road, then swap to an angled boot later on down the line. the plugs take a standard 2.8mm latched spade terminal so dead easy to get those, and is the best option if you have a decent crimping tool.

heres that piccy I mentioned, now i look at it im not sure, as its showing a male side and the plug is female...
    [​IMG]

when wirign it there should be an earth which is common to the pump and the level sender board, pump power which just goes to the pump and level sensor which just goes to the sensor board

12. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Okay, I'll wait until the sender has arrived to buy the plug so I know exactly what I'm looking for. Would any autoshops stock them as new or am I going to have too hunt around for a second hand one?
    Okay mate the wiring sounds fairly simple, using the wire colours from the picture as a guide should be enough. I will just wire the positive and negative from my main pump. Cheers!

13. rubjonny

the pump itself is readily available, the same one is used on the mk2 and various others. the level sender assembly is NLA VW stopped doing them in 2008

14. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Sender and pump arrived today, swirl pot is due to arrive tomorrow! Happy days! Got a day off work tomorrow aswell so will have a mosey

15. Jackman1994 Forum Member

So am I right in thinking the only electrical thing I need to do is pull a positive wire from the main pump, and connect it too the 3rd pin on the level sender? As surely the level sender is already earthed? Cheers

16. rubjonny

yep you use the original 2 wires for earth and sender, add a live to the main pump feed

17. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Thankyou mate

18. Jackman1994 Forum Member

19. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Worth the ask, but do you know where I could run the wire? Don't suppose you know of any holes or passages? Or do I have to take the tank out and run it along the top? Just changed the tank so that'll be a pain!

20. beetie

beetie Forum Member

It should squeeze through the boot hole between the tank and bodywork at the front.