Full respray pix

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by pyrotechnix, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Golf Nut Pete

Golf Nut Pete Forum Member

that volvo purple is a very nice colour indeed!
    Its good to see your flatting and polishing, some completed pics soon i hope?

2. pyrotechnix Forum Member

i gotta spray a wing n door on a volvo in that purple, will find the code etc...
    will do soon, still got a few bits left... like the grille and wheels, comin this weekend!!
    need some new plates too...
    cant wait!!
    andy

3. atlas2l8v Forum Member

mines atlas grey and im sticking with the original colour mate

cheers for the info will keep practising ....deffo come out well yours though

4. boostedgolf Forum Member

good gob looking good, but i have 1 question for you, in pics 7&8 threr is pictured that nasty rust hole and in the other its filled up with filler. has this been properly cut & new metal shaped & welded??

Not to be negative & put you off because i now what satisfaction one gets when you spend all those hours working on a project, but its a pity when a job is taken to such an extent & not done right. covered up rust will come back in a few months and will be looking worst then before.

5. pyrotechnix Forum Member

it was a nasty lil hole indeed, all i did was grind it to fresh metal (back and front) trimmed off all the crap and then rust treated it. then plated it from the inside with a small plate and a lil fibre glass. this left a low spot which i filled and primed.

to be honest i should have cut the section away and welded etc etc rust is a pain in the ****!! like cancer... it all has to be cut away or you run the risk of it returning, but no problem, i do this job for a living!! lol famous last words!!

6. neil kaye Forum Junkie

hi just vey quickly scanned this thread so sorry if its been covered
    asyou on a time limit reason i ask is youv done alot of maskin very neat be it but ida taken all the rubbers n trims n stuf off
    how much dust did you have inthe paintwork before polishing -not doing it in a booth im intrested to know
    and finaly what paint did you use

nice job tho well done

7. pyrotechnix Forum Member

it has been said, but your right, easy to take things off for the paintjob, however its never that simple and what if summat breaks, or doesnt go back properly,could just end up lookin worse or broken...time was also an issue, he was done in a weekend so any time saved was an advantage

there were minimal bits in the paint, lots of water on the floor and just bein methodical in cleanin the panels before, and during the paint job. i used an air blower after every fewcoats of base to blow any excess or dust out from the nooks and crannies. i only flatted it to get a showroom mirror-finish.

its solvent based 2k basecoat from jawel paints (hex is cheaper but paint is poo!) lol

glad you like it ;)
    cheers
    andy

8. neil kaye Forum Junkie

true easy for me to say as an ex trimmer,but know where your coming from and iv considered painting mine without a booth but now with your method in mind i will keeping the dust down is the key so theres not too much work at the end flattin and polishing,i used spiers hecker(think thats how you spell it) when i painted my door and wing good easy paint to use,i got good finish didnt need a flat n polish,but did do it in a booth tho

9. MITCH-MK3 Forum Member

looks absolutley mint mate loving that colour !!

10. pyrotechnix Forum Member

thank you :) glad you like
    andy

11. Neillyboy78 New Member

Just intrested to know what you used and what method to flatten and polish the paint up....looks nice and shiny

12. pyrotechnix Forum Member

i used 3M 2000 wet to flat the clearcoat, making sure the panel, water and paper are free from bits, grit and dirt.... makes a right mess of the paint otherwise, went over the whole car flatting all the panels and removing any bits or imperfections as you go.

took me nearly 7 hours just to flat it all by hand, worth takin ya time tho!!

then using a mop (not a floor mop!) and a compounding head begin polishing, i used a 3 stage system from 3M, fast cut, fine cut and glaze. fast cut everything twice to remove 2000 marks, being extra careull of edges and trims, then fine cut everything twice to remove fast cut marks, and glaze to finish

i spent nearly two full days polishing, and i am glad i did, the finish looks amazing and is well worth spending the time on...

andy

13. Neillyboy78 New Member

Thanks for the info.....Car looks stunning m8!

14. snifferdog New Member

looks well good mate!

15. pyrotechnix Forum Member

Hello to all.... been a while sinse i posted on here after the golf was sold and replaced with an omega based on cost issues... i got a call off the guy a few days ago sayin he had stacked it into the side of a car :( not impressed and looks fooked!! lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gutted to say the least.... thinkin i might buy it back off him and fix him all up again.... i wanna see geoffrey on the road once again!!

16. Azorenblau Forum Member

Horrible crash, that! s..t happens though. Too many nutters on the road, that's for sure.

You did an amazing job on the golf in the first place. Gorgeous colour and all that polishing work made all the difference. :clap:

Did you get lots of mist settling on the dry paint when spraying the other end or were you super quick? Just interested, as I once sprayed a car in a garage without air extraction and just couldn't get rid of this mist. All my airways were clogged up with red paint despite wearing a gas mask. Never again! Well, that's amateurs for you! :lol:

Good to see a real pro doing a proper job! :thumbup:

17. pyrotechnix Forum Member

lol, i was really quick!! yea it took me AGES to finish it all!!
    thanks too nice to hear [:D]

Andy

18. Si16vAnni Forum Member

Shame about what happened to the Golf but what a great job you done on it. Really like the rich colour, You certainly put some effort into that!

19. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Side repeaters really were stuck fast eh? Cant understand not removing the rear arch spats, rubbers, spoiler etc to respray it.

But oh well, too late now, and its not like it was a GTI. Looked like a good finish though.

20. pyrotechnix Forum Member

nice one :)

Andy