Fusebox Questions

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by MK2MonzaBlue, Sep 1, 2023.

1. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trying to sort out the fusebox on my '87 16V, got it almost finished but have a couple of plug left and no clue where they go. Any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
  2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Your pictures haven’t loaded.

3. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Should be working now

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
  4. Matt Golf Forum Member

Is the black/yellow just a spare switched live for accessories such as heated seats?

5. Matt Golf Forum Member

That green one with the black plug. Does it trace back to the valeo idle control unit inside the central consol/electric window consol? If so its the increased idle speed for models equipped with air con. So unless you have factory a/c its not connected to anything.

6. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Cheers for that. So two of them don't need to be connected, the others don't seem to be as straightforward though, I have a feeling they're meant to go somewhere.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

green is for ac as said
    2 pin is headlight range control
    black/yellow spare ign live as said
    red and brown wires are for glovebox light
    grey/blue and brown next to it is illumination for heater panel

8. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Lovely stuff, thanks. Two more wiring based questions:

The switch in the door shuts which I assume is for a courtesy light, what wiring do they need as I don't seem to have it anywhere.

And also, the wiring for the central locking switch in the driver's door seems to be missing as I'm fairly sure it had an aftermarket actuator fitted, but I haven't found a plug or any wiring for it left behind. Any ideas what that should look like?

9. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Also, is headlight range control an extra? Don't recall having anywhere to plug that into.

10. rubjonny

If you look at the a pillar near fusebox there is a hole where the interior light wiring comes out, it'll have a red live to spade on rear loom near fusebox, brown earth to claw and a brown/white which goes to door pin switch. the driver side switch spade should have a 2nd brown/white crimped into it which goes over to door switch on the other side

Central locking wiring in the door goes to a white 3 pin plug near the fusebox, red wire from here goes to the same.place as the interior light and the red/yellow and red/white go to the pump in the boot. This loom is seperate from main rear loom so could have been taken out

Headlight range control was an option and rarely fitted, so you can ignore that one

11. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Thank you very much. I've discovered I do in fact have the wiring for the central locking. I've got the answers for the other plugs I wasn't sure of, so my only remaining thing to figure out is the courtesy light wiring. I will investigate further based on what you've said.

12. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few more questions:

Picture 1: WTF is this?

Picture 2: I assume this big connector mounts somewhere, on a bracket probably, but where?

Picture 3: Bit of wiring in the engine bay under coolant bottle. Probably to do with aftermarket fog lights which I have removed, but what to do with them now?

Picture 4: I believe is the idle control, which also has a bracket. Where does this mount?

(Not sure if photos are displaying right. They're working in edit)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
  13. rubjonny

1. bulb holder for handbrake light, its pulled off the back

2. clips to a metal bracket on the dashboard just to the left of driver footwell

3. front fog lights, someone has cut the factory plug off and spliced wires direct (ew) if you dont have front fogs just insulate the white/yellow and tuck it away

4. goes inside the centre console. I have a pic somewhere lmk if it still doesnt make any sense when you look :lol:

many hosts either dont like hotlinking or break due to the way we proxy images, its better to upload direct if you can. need 10 posts to enable this feature

14. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Thank you, much appreciated. Would find that picture quite helpful if you've got it.

15. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And hopefully my last wiring question. Apologies for the terrible pictures, I could not get my camera to focus. There is two wires in my engine bay, a black and a black + grey that I assume were unused orginally, and have had the plug cut off and a single wire soldered directly to them for something aftermarket. My pictures show before and after I removed the soldered wire. I have insulated the ends and taped them out of the way, but I'd like to know what the two wires were supposes to be for?

16. rubjonny

black and black/white would originally have gone to the coil terminal 15, these are live for ECU and TCI unit. the spliced stuff was possibly for an old alarm system? to put it back crimp them both to a female spade and pop to coil job done:

heres what ISV bracket should look like:
    357907342-3.jpg 357907342-4.jpg 357907342-5.jpg

17. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Perfect, thanks for the pictures.

So both wires to the same spade terminal?

18. rubjonny

yep originally they're in the same spade :)

19. Matt Golf Forum Member

If you are missing the ISV bracket I may have a spare....somewhere.......

20. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

I have my original thanks Matt.

Yet more wiring questions I'm afraid. Hopefully simple enough: have I got my battery wiring correct and where does the earth strap go?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]