Fusebox Questions

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by MK2MonzaBlue, Sep 1, 2023.

1. Matt Golf Forum Member

Think the big earth strap is from inner passenger wing to the bonnet (attaches to the hinge), near the scuttle

2. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

either that or its the strap from rear corner of head to one of the coil mounting bolts. either way its just for radio interference suppression nothing really important

battery cabling all looks good, the main battery earth on early goes to the top of the gearbox bracket and on late to a stud on one of the top 2 bolts holding the box on. the late style is better but early ok so long as box and bracket are all clean. reason for the change is corrosion builds up between the bracket and box eventually leading to poor earth contact

4. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Thanks. So there's no earth cable for the alternator or anything?

5. rubjonny

the alternator and starter earth thru the engine block and gearbox. common problem is you see people painting everythign up really nice, then wonder why the alternator doesnt charge any more :lol:

6. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Ah ok. Is my gearbox bracket being powdercoated likely to be an issue?

7. rubjonny

only if you put your main battery earth cable to that, I would recommend you use the later type earth point which is a stud on the end of one of the 2 big bolts up top holding the box on

8. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Ok, what about if I add a second earth strap from the gearbox bracket stud to a bolt on the engine or gearbox? That would have the same effect and save me looking for more parts?

9. rubjonny

Yep that'll do you fine if your battery earth is early type and too short

10. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Cheers. Apologies for the constant stream of questions, wiring is most definitely my least favourite part of this project so far.

Another question:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the plug for the electric mirror adjustment switch. And one of the pins from said plug. Unfortunately I had a minor electrical fire today which resulted in the loss of 2 of these pins. Does anyone know what they are called or how I can get 2 more to fix it? And also, how on earth do they go back into the plug. I had assumed that you push them into the plug and push down the hinged part so they stay in place, but no matter which way up I put them in, they won't stay put?

11. rubjonny

They are NLA, but are the same as MK1 golf cluster pins. Tbh I would just look for corrado door looms, they all got electric mirrors as standard and the loom is basically the same

And yes you push the pin in and close the flap. If they don't stay in place the plug is also damaged