G60 steels - The Differences !

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Richard Mk2, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Split these posts from my build thread, as they are better suited here and more members will see the info :thumbup:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

As quoted many times they are not G60 steel wheels but steel winter wheels. G60 have round holes. Only a small point but while everybody likes to quote OEM all the time.

[​IMG][/IMG]

3. Richard Mk2

I stand corrected :)

To tell you the truth, I never knew the original G60 steels came with round holes instead of D shaped ones !!

It's true what they say then ! You do learn something new on here everyday :thumbup:

4. Richard Mk2

Passat steels then ;)

5. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

this info is strange, I thought the round holed steels were original gti steels which were an alternative from prescribed alloys and the 'd' shaped holes were called g60 because they were an alternative for the g60 and came in 15" to go over the 280mm discs that a 14" rim wouldn't, also my 'd' shaped 15" rims were bought from vw as g60 steels!

6. nealey Forum Junkie

The round hole steels on the gti were 14" and the original g60 winter wheels were 15" with round holes. The new steels with the d shaped holes are actually passat winter wheels which are the superseded part from when vw discontinued the original g60 steels hence why vw will still sell them as g60 steels when technically they aren't.

Richard Mk2 and DC75 like this.
  7. dub303 Forum Member

Sodding VW getting in on the scene tax lol

8. Richard Mk2

lol

Looks that way !!

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you want to be REALY anal about it, MK2 G60 winter steels dont exist ;)

the round hole ones are actually Corrado winter steels, the G60 just pinched em. and then when they ran out they pinched passat steels instead :lol:

Richard Mk2 likes this.
  10. rubjonny

to VW the 15" steels arn't model specific, just size specific. they superceed older type with newer parts where available, after all to them it makes no sense to stock 2 types of steel wheel which are the same fitment with slightly different holes in.

at the end of the day only weirdos attach value to these wheels, to the germans all they are is a separate set of rims to have your winter tyres on which are only used in the winter (pretty sure by law you MUST run winder tyres in germany during the winter?)

they just happen to look good so we buys em :lol:

11. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Yes as of 2011 it was put into law in Germany to run winters for German registered vehicles. It was almost 100% done before anyway. Almost all tire shops have a warehouse that you pay to store your tires if you don't own a second set of wheels. They make hundreds of euros out of the game by every owner. But to be honest running winter tires on all four wheels is like night and day. I'm now home in Scotland and winters going on this week. On my ibiza not the mk2 as it's in bed now !!!!

12. rubjonny

cool thanks for the confirmation! I now have enough TSW omegas to have a winter set so will be doing this at some point, just waiting for 2 of them to be painted to complete my summer set :thumbup:

13. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Yes winters as in true winter tires are worth every single Penny and more. I've seen myself on sheet ice and snow going over the A9 to inverness with cars and vans abandoned everywhere and my car just kept going like it was on Tarmac. Why this country as in Scotland have not got the winter tires thing I will never know.

14. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Oh rj I will be heading to Andover in next couple weeks so will pop in and collect the seats.

15. rubjonny

cool :)

tbh I ran my cab and mk2 with toyo ts1r last few winters no problems at all, even with the several inches of snow! can get away with it if you match your driving to the conditions but proper snow tyres i coudl have driven a bit faster than the slow crawl I had to make do with on the un-gritted roads around my street lol

16. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I'm working out in Germany at the moment, and about 50% of the cars are on black steels for winter. Something oddly appealing about big Audis on steels...!

As to the law; whilst it exists, most people apparently have a "yeah, next week" attitude (there's no fixed date) The likelihood of being pulled over for an inspection is virtually nil, but in the case of an accident, if its determined that winter tyres would have mitigated the incident and your not running them, then you could find your insurance voided and the opposite party suing for costs...

Also they are more speed-limited than "normal" tyres (210kph max), and don't really give a good ride. My first car out here was Focus estate on all-weather tyres and rode/handled like you'd expect a modern Ford to. Next car was a 320D on the same tyres; a total hoot.

Next up was another 3-series (I'll skip the C-Max mum-mobile I had inbetween...) this time on winter tyres; ride was horrid...like they were over-inflated. And despite being an auto (vs the manual that the first one was), it was actually easier to get the back-end out! Checked the pressures and everything was as BMW-spec.

Now I'm back in a Focus estate on winters and it has the same horrid ride. Everything to spec also, and it just likes to spin up the fronts out of every junction with no effort.

Seems to me, winter tyres are really only suited to actual winter conditions, and not merely cold, damp roads. I guess that's why most Germans are saying; "yeah, next week"...

17. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  18. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i had bmw steel wheels on my mk1 they come in both 14 and 15" 4x100 the ones i had
    had a bit more of a ridge round the center than the g60 but have round holes
    but you get ones that dont have it
    i had et35 ones

this was long before anyone had g60 steels

19. rubjonny

the D hole ones are passat definitly, you can tel from the part number 357 601 025M (357 = passat) as I said earlier the earlier versions with round holes are actually corrado, again you can tell from the part number 535 601 025C (535 = corrado)

if you can find an even earlier 15" steel wheel part number with 191 xxx xxxx (191 = mk2 golf) then we would have actual genuine MK2 G60 steels but I suspect you wont, the Corrado was probably what they were originally designed for then the MK2 G60 pinched em. Then when the rado ones ran out VW superceeded with the passat version

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  20. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Yes rj you are correct. I have 2 sets of round holes. My banded set of 8j and 7j and my winters set pictured above that are proving handy on my junker ibiza tdi up here in inverness. They are 535 part numbers if I recall. Like anything with golfs they are only worth what somebody will pay for them. Not sure how popular they are in the uk but when I was in Germany my scrappy had loads and at 25 each I got 8 just to be safe.

I will come get my seats I promise! Or as soon as Lisa's eos is fixed you can dump them in there at next.

Baz.