Garage potential? (Pics & Plans page 1)

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by fthaimike, Oct 18, 2004.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

That cable in the garden is mega thick armour core & is three core set into a solid plastic state & is VERY heavy. ;)

EDIT:the one in the pic will be built into the wall being built next week.
    Edited by: fthaimike

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

The door motor was a bit mad as i was expecting a roller with the cog on the end & a chain running off it to a motor but this one has the motor actually built within the tube that the roller door gets wound around [8D].

Tim the cable in that picture doesn't look half as thick as the stuff we used,our stuff looks like thecable that the Electric board would run up the side of a street light ;).

EDIT:I'm painting my floor this weekend after it has been uni-bonded also so probably cant put car in it yet.

3. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

good good, ive seen some one use burry an extention lead in their garden and then wire plugs off then end of it [:s][:x][8(]

glad you are going it properly!!

tim

4. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

ouch!!!

so when did you raid a bank???? :lol:

5. cliveyp Forum Member

Tim - It must be done properly. If an electrician has run the cable there it must be armoured, they can't used anything else. :)

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

Little bit of tidying up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This wall will get bigger:

[​IMG]

Garden Retaining wall & Flanking Walls:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soakaway Preperation:The ground is concrete from the wall on the left up to the edge of the crate then it will be dug out (again as a small amount spilt into it [:$])......so the right hand side of the path is a soakaway & also it can go through the hole you see & along the edge of the garage (seen in next pic).

[​IMG]

Following on from the last pic...gravel will be pored down some of the hole to the left of this wall to join up with the soakawy that travels along the side of the garage below damp level & outside the water membraine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The steps so far:

[​IMG]

This end of the garage wont be touched now untill all the retaining wall & flanking walls are finished on Wed as we were worried about people bumping against the door/frame that would have been there or the final render.

[​IMG]

7. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

yeh i know, but i didnt know if it was a trained electrician that had done it!

[​IMG]

which wouldnt appear to be the case looking at this pic,

tim :)

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

He said he wouldn't run it along the floor for safety reasons?

I didn't know there was a special way to attach heavy duty cable to the wall? i just assumed he angled it to let water run off?

9. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

just looks a mess thats all, and also being at an angle the water will run in to that hole! - where ever that may lead?!

tim

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

No worries mate, im going to fill the holes in this week but they just run down the wall:

[​IMG]

Im going to paint over them for now but that wall on the veranda that looks a bit messy is coming down in the future as im having an outhouse/utility room built there but thanks for the comments anyway as i wouldn't have had some of the idea's without you peeps.

11. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

sorry im just being picky,

but in that pic you posted it run along the floor,

sorry [:$]would have dont it differently thats all,

tim

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

yeah that bit on the above pic is in progress as im having the path & steps built up to meet where that wire meets the floor & it's going inside the wall thats being built (that bit of a wall you see against next doors steps is mine & i might take it down to match the new wall)..

This is how the house was when i bought it a year ago [xx(]:

[​IMG]

Iv'e jet blasted the lower wall 2 days ago (after the cable pic was taken) but haven't touched the house itself as im scared of heights so im hoping for a friend to paint it soon. & the house to the right has had the same treatment with my jet gun :lol:.

13. brushdaft

brushdaft Forum Member

Thats one fantastic workshop!

Mate of mine rents a little unit and it makes working on our cars a lot more fun, no more freezing your backside off in the rain and snow or working in the dark.

Only advice I can add is get a kettle in there! ;)

Looking forward to seeing some more pics with floor painted, work bench in ect.

:thumbup: :clap: :)

14. fthaimike Forum Addict

Cheers [:D], any idea's peeps on the best way to go about making up some benches/worktops & what to use& the best agreed depth from wall?

15. stevie_gti Forum Member

mate of mine used some kitchen units for work bench etc was fairly good as it also provided plenty storage space just need to put a good quality work surface on top of them with vice etc

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

More work on the pathway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

dude, that is looking awesome, your woman is gonna make you prittty up the garden now though lol

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

Aye dont i know it :lol:

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

The top step (top block)in this picture is coming back out as it was just used to hold the concrete path back while it dried as they ran out of concrete bricks (yellow ones) at the end of the day.

[​IMG]

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

Some pics of the drainage/soak-away:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]