Garage potential? (Pics & Plans page 1)

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by fthaimike, Oct 18, 2004.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

Updated to show all pictures at start of thread:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bench & Double Socket Layout:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

ORIGINAL START OF THREAD:

Im thinking of taking about 50% of the garden for a garage / workshop [:D] so anything i need to know & how to go about it (planning permission etc...).

Im not building it mind but i want a good base with a pit then block garage on top.

Iv'e just started to cut back the garden to see what its like, slopes a few feet but might just clean it up & dump some gravel on it too use as a drive over winter until funds are better because i aint got a clue how much a good base would be & wouldnt want to put anything permanent down without knowing its legal or strong enough.

your awnsers please peeps.

Mike
    Edited by: fthaimike

2. cforehead Forum Member

HELL YEAH! :p :p :p :p :p

Why only 50%? The whole bloody lot's a lot more like it!I can hear it calling to me... "Make me look like that garage on the CGTI Forum with the Porsche in it..."

Fordo! [:D]

3. Tarmac Terror Forum Member

Do a search for your locl county council site, they mornmally have guides etc to planning permission required etc etc. Also you can serach to see if anyone else has applied for planning to do similar things to you and see how they got on with getting it permitted or refused - a good guide to the likely hood of being able to get it passed the council. I think that also a detached garage consumes part of the overall permitted area that you are allowed ot extend a property by. For example a 3 beddy semi is allowed to be extended by 70m3. Oh, and if you need to get planning permission rather then building regs it'll mean that the neighbours will get a letter for them to respond to if they do not want you to build it. Just hope your neighbours get on with you ;) :lol:

Heres a link to my local conty council which might help as its got links to the local planning office with forms and guides etc:

http://www.southsomerset.gov.uk

Hope this helps mate ;)

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

cforehead
    i dont think you realise how long the garden is :lol: (it's deceiving in that picture).

Thanks tarmac im hoping for something along these lines:
    [​IMG]

About 3 mk1golf car lengths long & about 20ft wide with a 1 meter side access (but NO windows) & a mate of mine got a buddy that makes them solid steel doors for 2nd access.

Most of the peeps in this row already have garages of some shape or another & it looks onto waste/factory ground.

5. Tarmac Terror Forum Member

Why not pull the garge away from the back by just over a cars length, so that then you have some form of hard standing area for cleaning the car etc etc. Also then if you just wan to put the cra off the road for a few hours safely then you don;t have to put it on the drive, you can just park it up in front of the garge itself. Slap on a pair of gates and you have a nice little courtyard for visitors ot also park when the MK1's tucked up in the garage. Might be worth a thought mate..

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

Vistors around here arent the people you want to visit you ;)

7. Tarmac Terror Forum Member

LOL - ahhh....

8. stew72 Forum Member

I built a woodern garage in sections and found that up to 30 square metres base wasn't a problem, just needed PP but over this and I would have been into the relms of building regulations which govern materials and distances from the boundries etc, which looking at your pic may be of concern?
    By the way 6 x 5 metres is plenty big enough for two cars and to work on one of them.

9. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

why arent you fitting windows? do you need side acces, you could acces through the garage.

All i will say is make it as big as you can :)

10. prowler Forum Member

...can hear the developers from here...."How many flats can we build on that????"

11. Bronze MK1 Cab Forum Member

:lol: :lol: Not right up in the South Wales valleys you don't ;)

Hope it all goes to plan Mike. I want to build one on the back of my house too [:D]

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

Windows just mean another way of breaking in clart.

Read up that its safer to leave 1 meter side access for emergency services.

13. mk2_oxford Forum Member

first thing to do mate, (cheapest way too)is draw out a couple of plans of the garden, with some basic measurements, height, width etc. you will need planning permission for it as the max i think u can go without it is 12 ft sq. and it needs to be at least 10 m's away from your neighbours fence (figures need to be checked), but i see your neighbours have garages in a similar position. So im predicting u would get the all clear to build the garage from the council. Try to keep your plans to a simialr size garage as you neighbours, no bigger. cant realy predict the cost, without proper figures. But get onto a couple of local builders and they should know about your areas ground conditions etc, if not they'll do a sample and advise you on the relevant stepss forwad. When u apply for planning permission, then your neighbours will have a big say in wether it goes ahead or not, so don't get revving your engine and waking them up ;)

14. mk1Matt Forum Member

What you need mate, is proper garage doors on both sides, and a paved area in the garden. This way, you can open both doors and drive through the garage into the garden - for working on the car on sunny days or washing it etc. This way you can work on the car out in the open if you want and no-one's the wiser.

15. fthaimike Forum Addict

thanx all gonna chat to my mate the builder on the weekend.

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

Right I've done some measurements and the box i had marked up came to: 17ft wide x 34ft long (including walls).

This leaves me with another 27ft before i reach my veranda.

I got this info from my local council:

http://www.labc-services.co.uk/offices/wales/rhonddacynontaf f/default.asp

Do I need Building Regulation Approval to construct a detached garage?

No, provided that the garage meets the following conditions.
    a) It is less than 30 square metres floor area
    b) single storey
    c) one metre from any boundary or constructed of non-combustible materials (including the roof).

Do I need Building Regulation Approval to construct a carport?

No, provided its floor area is less than 30 square metres and it is open on at least two sides.

EDIT: do you think this is big enough for 2 cars (one being my mk1) with some equipment?

17. 2TonCartoon Forum Member

take the pics/rough plans into the planning offices, if they're like the ones in Aberdare, they'll tell you what they require.

if you gonna build a pit, get some serious water proofing in there, otherwise you'll end with an oiley duck pond like my old man :lol:

18. Rallye Forum Junkie

more than 5m (i think) from the house doesnt need planning permission

19. Claypole Forum Junkie

As said go see the planning office, they will be glad to advise you on it from the start so you make their job easier.

It cost me 70.00 in planning permission at my mum/dad's to put a garage on a council garage site even though there was a garage there before... robbers. :lol:

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

Where are you from then because i liveonly 5mins away from aberdare mate?

Im not going for a pit now.....heard to many bad points, gonna go axle stands instead.