German Plates?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by MattW, May 7, 2006.

1. Admin Guest

a short answer is no they are not legal.

but if you were feeling brave, armed with the above info on plate specs you could argue that they were legal to use under the Eu rules which also apply to this country.

not sure if they would still have you on the font though?

2. Admin Guest

No they arent legal. They aren't illegal either.

The whole thing contradicts itself.

Hence "grey area".

3. Admin Guest

sadly mr police man isn't going to see it that way[:^(] [8(] [:x]

nor would i imagine he would be prepared to talk about the finer points of EU rules and number plates:lol:

his eyes its a non british plate.

i'm agreeing with you here elucidate btw :lol:

4. Barkstar Forum Member

Jon P's right. If the cop or the MOT tester doesn't like your car you're stuffed. Sounds like it's a bit better than 50/50 but being roadside know it all rarely win friends and I'm not seeing a magistrate appreciate the finer points of EU law when he's got another 25 speeders or shop lifters to do before home time. As for the MOT, well, no likey no MOT but if you got a ticket and could provide proof the plate was on the car at the time of the test I can't see where the cop has to go... except stick you with the ticket and let you tell it to the judge. They will let someone else make the call.
    I'd like to a get a set of genuine German plate holders that the plates drop into from the top and a set of UK and German plates but then we're looking at spending around 80 - 100! So for the time being its UK only for me
    Barkstar

5. MattW Forum Member

Just got my plates put on... Still questioning whether to take the gamble of german style plates... What you lot think?

[​IMG]

6. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

go german - carry the UK plates in the boot and swap them over if you're hassled

"just on way back from a show officer, forgot they were on, i'll change them now for you..."

7. Estoril Ben Forum Member

15'000!!!!! :o :o

Thats crazy stuff. My mate paid 700 for C14 MAT, not too different, and also my cousin has M4TT H on his car, paid around 1k for that.

Plate pricing is crazy.

On the plate side of things, carry your normal ones with you and put the german ones on, I just keep my originals under the boot carpet.

8. Admin Guest

Thats works a treat, has worked for me in the past anyway. I have the plate surrounds so can change them in 20 seconds, they seem to like that as you can change them right in front of their eyes.

9. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

i've done it twice too ;)

unfortunately it took me 3 fines before i had the idea :lol:

10. Rolf The Golf! Forum Member

I got pulled over for having German Plates on my mk2, i asked the copper what the problem was and said the car had been through the MOT that week with them on (showed him the certificate too)

He said the 'felony' was the plates had a D on them rather than a GB and the car was not registered in Germany, nothing to do with BS numbers or anything like that, he said if i got a set made up with GB then he wouldn't be able to do anything about it... not that he could anyway as it was late at night and i was a female driving alone and he was a male officer, some such rule about that...

Anyway, to me that smells BullS.. so now i keep my regular plates in the boot to use the old 'been to a show' chestnut. IMHO it's gotta be a jobsworth copper to pull you for plates anyway.

11. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

the DVLA site says you are allowed a blue band and a letter denoting a country - doesn't specify which country tho :)

12. Admin Guest

thats crap you can display loads of things on your plate. they ruled you could do

13. 1stGTI Forum Member

i know its an old topic, but i just got mine on today. ill wait for the fines to come rushing in

[​IMG]

14. RAPID GTI New Member

where can i get a set

15. gixxer New Member

sod it just put them on, my brother has just got some (R10 ODD) made to look like R1 DODD he hasn't been pulled yet!!!!and our uncle is an mot tester (bonus!!!!)
    but as your plates are worth 15,000 and my brothers are 250 i dont know but like people on here have said theres a loop hole!!!
    mine are M20 GTL look like M2.0 GTI and i aint been pulled:thumbup:

16. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

17. golfjunky

golfjunky Forum Member

take the gamble mate, they look so much better imo. i havent got stopped but if i do i keep the standard plates in the boot with the story being ive just been doing a photo shoot and forgot to put the standards back on.

worst they can do is a fine of 60 quid i think but more than likely itl just be a warning

the looks you get with them, especially being right hand drive are awesome haha

18. RAPID GTI New Member

thanx mate

19. Chubbs New Member

20. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

i know its an old subject but had mine of for 4 years now, never been stopped and passed every mot.

a motorway police car actually followed just to have a look at the car !!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007