Golf MK1 Hillclimb-Sprint Car

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Dub Nutta, Feb 8, 2009.

1. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Yea panic sets it and all hell breaks loose lol.

Had a good one last year on the Hillclimbs. The marshalls only give you 5 minutes warning before your off. So you have to watch the running order and keep a track on what cars have run. Basically starts at class A at 8.30 then straight through the order of 150+ cars, so depends event to event what time you run.

So got the word, jumped in the car, Hans on, helmet on, harness, gloves etc. Tighten the belts, the Marshall waves me into the starting line ready to go up and I realise the bonnet pins were not secured. You have never seen anyone jump out of the car so quickly lol

The roll cage rang like a bell when the buckle hit it.lol

2. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Wasn't too bad, bit tatty tho. Been a Ferrari Pirelli Cup race car for many years. Had a few things sorted before I wrapped it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

8v bits everywhere.

4. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Bought a sticker for the car as it was red lol

[​IMG]

5. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Haha, I can imagine! lol

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Might be worth another 0.6 secs at Curby ;)

pascal77uk likes this.
  7. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Going to need it lol

8. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

DPD delivered this last Friday. Some really parts. Upgrade carbon pack 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  9. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

So after a busy start to the year with various non car related projects at last I've found some time to really start on the MK1 with the new updates and modifications that have been planned. I've already missed the first Prescott event so lots to do and catch up on, the Club Curby day is looming as well so will be ideal to use it as a late pre season shake down.

Last year I hadn't done much to the car apart from repairing failing parts, fit the new shifter mods and catch tank. So the plan this year is to update the car as much hasn't changed from when Ray built it 10 years ago. All previous owners have looked after it really well and kept it in superb condition but it's time to take it to the next level. Going over the chassis this week reminded me of what a fantastic job Ray did in the first place and how well it's stood the test of time.

So a bit of a weight saving program has started with the carbon interior parts replacing the heavier plastic door cards and Ali foot rest. Then with the aid of a angle grinder and spot weld drill I've managed to take another 6 kilos of weight out of the doors, other interior metal panels and the removal of spare brackets and captive nuts for seat belt mounts. Also all the door and hatch seals are being removed bringing down the weight a bit further. All counts on the hills.

[​IMG]

I didn't go too crazy with the angle grinder and just removed the bulk of the inner skin.

First up was fitting the carbon door panels, I used some plastic fixings to hold them in place and save further weight, instead of using the metal fixings that was used previously.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was to fit the roll cage carbon protectors. I had a few offcuts after fitting the door bars so covered the front cross brace to hide the wiring and had a general tidy up of the electrics at the same time. Really pleased with how they look.

[​IMG]

Then onto to the carbon foot rest and carbon footwell floor cover. Even tho on paper it fitted perfectly in reality it needed quite a bit of modding to work due to the angle of the backrest and clearance with the clutch pedal. But reasonably pleased enough in the end.

[​IMG]

I spent an hour setting up the driving position. Where the seat was bolted in originally it always felt like a compromise and off centre and never been happy with it. So moved the position 2 inches inboard until everything felt right then modded the seat mounts to get the rake and distance correct. Now it feels spot on and as good as the MK3 Race car does.

One of the mods I didn't get round to last year was fitting the lifeline snap off steering boss. Makes getting in and out so much easier. Only issue is the old steering wheel is dished by 90mm so is now a fraction close. Plan is to see how it goes but a flat 30mm wheel is on the cards. Just to get everything perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

skywalker38 likes this.
  10. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Just to confirm Mike, the snap off boss adds 60mm?

11. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Next up to be done is new diff. The Peloquin has been fine over the last year but you just can't beat a plate diff. So Gripper has been selected, I've used them for many years on various cars and always impressed with the service and the products. I don't think any diff can beat them.

So MK1 was taken down to TRD one evening so we could pull the box out, beats doing it at home and struggling on my own with jacks.

Pic of the MK1 next to a lovely Original 64k LHD 77' MK1 at TRD

[​IMG]

A late start didn't help due a problematic Aston DB9 stuck in the workshop. So we got it up on the ramp late and got most of it done before deciding to head to the pub for a beer.

[​IMG]

It Didn't take long this morning to pop it out with the aid of a engine brace and surprised how light a 020 box is compared to the later O2A boxes and the 6 speeders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mart at GasNGears has been enlisted to do the job and the box was dropped off late this morning to him. Along with a few other bits to do. Had a good catch up with Mart at the same time and fingers crossed the diff will be delivered Tuesday and box ready for collection next Saturday

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Nige and vw_singh like this.
  12. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Yea something like that. I can measure exactly if you want.

I don't think there is any way round it as all the bosses are the same size. Also I wouldnt mind a slightly smaller steering wheel but the next option down is a 300mm one and I'm not sure if that's too smaller as never driven a car with that size.

13. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Also you cant use the centre horn push button with the snap off boss, so I'm going for one of these.

[​IMG]

notenoughtime and vw_singh like this.
  14. Pidge87 New Member

Where did the carbon door card set come from?

15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Bill had a nightmare with his Gripper diff and there are plenty of other choices out there, SQS, Kaaz, Drexler. Dont think VWM used Gripper either....

Are you going to race at all this year? is May you know. its starting to look a bit pretty...airbags and stance scene will be next ;)

16. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Hey Rob,

Yea Bill had a lot of problems not only with the gripper, but with the quaife box as well circa 10 years ago, you have a good memory, not sure it was down to the products tbh! Hasn't had any problems since!

Personally I'd rather deal and spend my money with a proven British company, than import stuff from abroad but each to there own. Whatever works for you. All the best cars are using gripper these days and winning championships, I've used them for many years. VWM used the legendary Gemini plate diffs. Have one in the MK3..

The car does look too nice now I agree, Kevlar and carbon Recaro SPA Racer looks the nuts, over 3.5k new, but as I've said recently you can't pull up short on personal safety, door cards and foot rest from a bonafide Rally Motorsport company but just looks too good. It's being rebuilt to a very high standard and as a mate said yesterday looks mega combined with the red really stands out. I've raced wheel to wheel in cars with dents in every panel before so it's nice to have a mint competition car.

And yes I'm racing ASAP. Unfortunately as we all know life gets in the way with racing plans sometimes, it's been a hard year, 2 very close family members have died, then both my mum and dad have been in hospital with serious operations. So that's been my focus, but as I said above I now have enough time to get on with my own plans so trying to make up for time.

And your right Oh yes, next plans are to sort the stance. Going to slam it, fire on some rare bad ass face mounted split rims and with a bit of tuck. Your going to love it:) :thumbup:

Also going to re wire the whole car and fit a full Stack dash when I get time along with a lifeline FIA fire extinguisher. Then it will be done, unless the Audi SuperTouring car engine finds its way into the MK1, if not then on with the MK3 rebuild.

17. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Marts split the box today and sent over a few pics, all looks in good shape:thumbup: 4.25 final drive and the box has the later 02k outer hubs.

The peloquin ATB Diff looks in excellent condition so that will up for sale soon if anyone's interested. As far as I know it's covered only a 1000k and the bearings are all spot on..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  18. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I'm sure Gordon said it was listed as a Hotgolf gearbox when he bought it after the last box died probably only has the miles you and Gordon put on it since it was last built
    The other gearbox was strange looked like it had been in the north sea at some point shame relay just can't understand how that happened in 8 years

19. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Yep Mart confirmed earlier it's one of his boxes:thumbup: has a few mods by him and additional parts. So all good. Probably less than 800 miles on it and most of that was the trip back from Scotland in it and mileage to and from Prescott last year.

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  20. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Ah, so thats how you do it!
    I fitted a snap off to my MK5 and tried to rig up a connection for the horn using a minijack. It worked perfect until my dad forgot and ripped it out! Trying to think of a better way or just use one of those plates, which would be a shame as my wheel has two holes for buttons. Not that i have to use them.