golf mk1 vs golf mk1 cabrio

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Simon86, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Simon86 New Member

Hello

I plan to buy a vw but not realy sure for what. I look on golf mk1, golf mk1 cabrio, golf mk2 and jetta mk2.

How is the handling on the cabrio against the other cars if you put coilovers and some other goodies ? My plan is to build an 1,8t "retro" vw. Is it harder to swap an mk1 to 1,8t then it is in golf mk2 ?

I think a cabrio 1,8t could be realy cool but if the handling sucks I dont know if it worth it.
    Please help me what do you guys think I should buy?

2. Admin Guest

not much in it between the mk1 and mk2 for ease of swapping stuff over for the 20v engine.

and again not much in it between the mk1 hard top and the cabby. specially one with the goodies bolted on.

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

surely a mk2 is easier as it has a subframe? and wouldnt require engine mount welding?

4. Admin Guest

you don't weld on a mk1, bolt on mounts[:D]

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

kool, thanks for clearing that up

6. Admin Guest

we going to play this silly game on which is better;) :lol:

7. Aphex Forum Junkie

The smaller engined mk1's have to have another mount welded on don't they?

8. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

If you start with a decent mk2 you will have a proper sunroof, power steering and electric windows, fitting power steering to mk1 is hassle so if your going to miss it id go with the mk2.

As far as mk1's to mk1 cabbys go theres really little difference apart from I swear I can feel my cabby bending when pushed through grippy roads, not hard to sort out just need to put lots of bracing in places. it is fun chucking a car around with the roof down, proper go kart feeling.

9. Aphex Forum Junkie

Is it an 8v?

10. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

yea thats a good point... bloody 8v power is going to break my car!

11. Admin Guest

you just move the engine mount 180degrees, sinple task.

12. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

If a soft top isnt particularly the car of choice surely its not the best option for big power conversions, its always going to have more flex, and surely the mk2 has a bit bigger engine bay to make the job easier.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  13. Aphex Forum Junkie

Good to know, cheers :thumbup:

14. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Not to thread jack but what's the difference in it between the cab and the tin tops in the Mk1 neighbourhood. I might be able to get a cabrio pretty cheap and wondering what they're like in comparison, I'm not worried about the flex in the twisties because it'll be used by my dad most of the time for going to work and back, just wondering if they're a bit less nippy (which I assume they are) and by how much.

15. Admin Guest

16. paul_c Forum Member

One has a convertible roof.....

A cabby will be slightly poorer performing, and handle slightly worse. Any money you spend to improve things will go slightly further on the hatchback than the cabby. In other words, were you to shell out on an engine conversion or a bunch of handling parts, then you'd get more out of the hatchback from it.

Buy a cabby if you want to pose around with the top off, or enjoy the sun, if you want proper performance (unmodified) then go for a hatchback GTI, if you're happy with a little less perfromance (the cabby GTI is still adequate!) then that's ok too.

Don't make the mistake of buying a Clipper then wanting to tune it - not worth the hassle, just get the GTI as a starting point.

17. paul_c Forum Member

In terms of numbers, my vague memory recalls 0-60 times are 8.3 secs for a 1.8 GTI hatchback and 9.1 secs for a cabby GTI. Someone will be able to look up the proper figure and correct me, though. Clipper - 10+ secs

18. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

agree with paul c if your after outright performance and speed get a tin top, if you want a fun car and like posing get a cabby, but dont ever expect the cabby to handle or be as quick as a tintop. Its not just the extra weight of a cabby that makes it slower its areodynaicly sh*ite, ever seen one going down the motoway with the roof up? the roof turns into a giant bubble, and obviously roof down is 10 times worst.

Dont get me wrong I love mine and everyone whos been in it or driven it thought it was great at going round corners and plenty nippy, it would be the last car I sell but I have a mk2 to go quick and corner like a nutter so i dont need much from the mk1.

19. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

It's a GTi already, to be honest I was just wondering if there's alot in it between the 2, I won't do any performance modding because my dad just wants to go to and from work in it and I'll take the missus out in it when the weather's nice. My Mk2 is what's getting the horses, I'll just "borrow" it when I can't use mine.

20. Admin Guest

then its a fine fun car to have. like for like, a stock hard top and cabby are pretty close in performance.