Golf Mk3 VR6 Track Car Build

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by vr6smith, Jan 27, 2012.

1. vr6smith Forum Member

Wheels

Thanks mate, added them to my watch list, i can see them going for good money!

2. vr6smith Forum Member

Roll Cage

Latest photos of the cage install. A bit of trimming to the middle supports to change the fitment slightly but now all the supports are welded in. Just need to sort the door bars out next week and weld on the brackets, then its out with the cage and a bit of paint!

Front drivers side support
    335f66ae.jpg

Middle drivers side support
    5f227f26.jpg
    cb993337.jpg

Drivers side rear support
    04336fbd.jpg
    40086062.jpg

Passenger side rear support
    0c10db06.jpg

Passenger side middle support
    21cf7eb7.jpg
    b7a8c68d.jpg

The cage is recommended for cars without a factory sunroof, mine just fits with the cartridge removed.
    0e4f7ce6.jpg

Ready the door bars!!!
    8f83cfd1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  3. vr6smith Forum Member

Roll Cage

Forgot to add photos of the connection points on the b-pillar. There was holes in the chassis where the brackets were on the roll cage, but the holes on the car have no thread so we have welded a nut to the chassis where the hole is so the bolt will go through the nut and through the hole in the chassis.

e22c5b66.jpg

72eabaec.jpg

There is another two connection points above the windscreen but this part of the car is right next to the windscreen and the roof is very thin. I know it will help stiffen the car up if we use these as well but i'm not goin to risk cracking the screen or bubbling up the paint on the out side of the roof by welding these points, they will be left un bolted.

4. vr6smith Forum Member

Ready for Paint

The roll cage is out, door bar brackets welded into position. Its all ready for painting.

Brackets welded onto Main roll over cage.

78e93708.jpg
    ddc61df6.jpg

Brackets welded to front part of cage
    460561af.jpg
    f3ec88a6.jpg

I was happy with the standard length of the door bars so they didn't need cutting down, however, you still need to weld the bracket on end of it. Just make sure its the same angle as the front one or it won't bolt in!
    e289dfc7.jpg

Rear strut brace also getting a lick of paint to match the cage, not worried about the front, its hidden under the bonnet!
    940ab328.jpg

5. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Those wheels went for 360 in the end not bad for Compomotives with new tyres.

Im trying to get some fibreglass door made up form pesch as the originals are mega heavy. IIRC you can save 40kgs with 2 doors. Ony problem is we need to get 3 sets ordered so im calling all mk3 owners to unite

6. vr6smith Forum Member

Hi mate,
    Wheels went cheap. They were the wrong centre bore so would need machining to fit. Thanks again for the spot though.

On thd doors front, I have been considering fibreglass panels but its not something I want to do at the moment. But appreshiate the offer. I hope you get them ok, massive weight saving, you'll have to post some pics of them when you get them.

7. vr6smith Forum Member

OMP Roll Cage Installed

Fitted the Rollcage yesterday, Fairly straight forward job, Just need to get out on the track now!!!
    Middle supports painted and rollcage bolted in, I may paint the inside of the car at some stage but looks ok for now.
    560997e7.jpg
    310cc8de.jpg

Rear Arch Supports inside
    87aa48a1.jpg
    e889c477.jpg

Rear Arch Supports underside, These were undersealed once tightened.
    39339bbd.jpg
    d6f8ef5b.jpg

Front supports inside
    3c33e737.jpg
    eafd4219.jpg

Front supports underside, again, these were sealed once tightened.
    48b46a7a.jpg
    e42bd2fa.jpg

Side supports bolted in solid.
    18f3d18a.jpg

You can see that the front upper attachment points are way out.
    50e6e242.jpg

Few random pictures of the finished job.
    3196adce.jpg
    5d9df454.jpg
    b22f2359.jpg

With seat installed
    349f74a9.jpg
    373d1461.jpg

Just need to sort out some padding and job done.

I hope this thread helps anyone thinking of installing a cage in their mk3, I looked around alot of places for info but could never find enough images or details of an install to see how easy it is to fit.

8. vr6smith Forum Member

Took the car to silverstone on Sunday, went like a dream. Nice to put some exspensive cars through their paces! Did eat my tyres though! Ordered some Toyo r1-r tyres for mid wets and some slicks for the dry.

Also on order is a straight through pipe to cut out my mid silencer, when i ordered the exhaust I was worried about noise. I needn't have worried, going to try and get it nice and load now!

I'll put on a few pics as I do the exhaust in the week.

9. vr6smith Forum Member

Silverstone Track Day 19/02/2012

Few pics of the car at Silverstone International on Sunday 19/02/2012.
    17babfd0.jpg
    ef7057d1.jpg
    f1812ba5.jpg
    f68daa73.jpg

Massive difference in the handling with the cage installed. The strut braces made a big difference when i installed them so i didn't imagine the cage improving the handling much more... but it did!

10. vr6smith Forum Member

Done a few tweeks to the car today as well as a service ready for Donington in a couple of weeks.

I removed the rear crash beam to put the car on a bit a diet,
    Before
    2d27a1ef.jpg

After
    0d9817a0.jpg

Wasn't megga heavy but why carry it round the track!
    d815b09b.jpg

So with the rear removed and the bumper back on I moved onto the front. only one problem... the front bumper bolts to the front crash beam so i have left it in place for now, i will have to think of another way to secure the front bumper if i want to remove it. Not a wasted job removing the bumper, i got busy removing the front fogs and sorting the cold air feed.

edaea5e6.jpg
    d6b51c30.jpg
    5e8fecb0.jpg

I also removed the front plate, don't know why i left it on before? i was please with the final look, used carboard for the outline of the shape and then cut some black abs plastic for the hole to make it look good.

Also got busy inside, Removed the passenger airbag
    7dd553f2.jpg
    removed the metal bracket aswell
    8533017c.jpg

all removed
    5d9f2427.jpg

and a bit of DIY later.
    163b2362.jpg
    190c46dc.jpg

i also blanked off the radio hole, it was bugging me, looked a little too unfinished, not i think it looks good.
    11806b9b.jpg

And out with the drivers airbag too, OMP steering wheel added to christmas list!!
    2002ea63.jpg
    f1aff245.jpg

I removed the airbag light bulb, not needed anymore!

This is what happened to the drivers airbag

[video=youtube_share;9F5gLgIgCNg]http://youtu.be/9F5gLgIgCNg[/video]

11. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Be worthwhile getting a sparco alcantara steering wheel and a pair of gloves, much more grip, The ones with a yellow line are great as when your sideways your can tell where the wheels are pointing.

12. vr6smith Forum Member

Thanks for the advise, they were the type I had in mind. Already got gloves, and boots.

13. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Theres loads of meat and support from a Mk3 dash you can cut out. Take the whole dash out and take a look. Can save a fair bit of weight there. :thumbup:

Looks like a good project. Tidy installation of the cage too.

14. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

If its just a track car then bin the whole dash and make a box for the clocks etc

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

...unless you want to take it to the 'Ring. Rumour has it they like dashboards and might not let you run without one.

16. MK1jettaGTi

MK1jettaGTi Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

17. benny Forum Member

Lovely job installing the cage :thumbup:

18. vr6smith Forum Member

Thanks for the input on the dash, i want to try and keep it in as it finishes off the interior better than brackets holding the clocks and stuff together, i have seen some cars with the dash out and they don't look to bad, I may change my mind! I am thinking off hollowing it out, just so its a plastic shell, removing the heater and some brackets behind it.

Thanks for the link
    I'm glad it wasn't just me with the front hoop problem, i would be keen to see your install if you can upload some pics on your thread.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  19. MK1jettaGTi

MK1jettaGTi Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

I'll do that, for the moment we've left the front hoop as it is but we're going to brace it to the top of the screen next time we're working on it.

I've got some work to do tomorrow, I'll try and update the thread then, the rest of the cage install looks identical to yours.

20. vr6smith Forum Member

I'll keep an eye on your thread. I'll be interested to see what you do with the front fixing points.