Good body/chassis track prep?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Lennard, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Admin Guest

I disagree about the engine mounts, I had vibrotechnics for years, the engine moved around quite a bit! Visible on dyno pulls. I changed to a solid front mount a few years back, it's never given me issue (I run a thick rubber spacer on top of the mount.). Engine now has very little movement and the rod change 020 mech is unaffected what's so ever.

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

were these the race grade mounts? I have these and the engine doesnt move.

my concern over solid mounts is that the vibration has to go somewhere.....subframe cracks? loosening bolts? etc etc

edit - latest edition of Performance VW has article about vibratechnics

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  3. Admin Guest

I agree with you rob about the vibrations hence the thick rubber slows some movement. Tbh I don't think mine were race vibro items, might have to look them up for the future.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Lennard,

On a 190ps KR motor that will be a high revver, stay away from solid engine mounts as suggested.

The resonance from a buzzy engine does come close to the natural frequency of the mount brackets and cause cracking and failure.

The solid mounts we have used on track cars have been troublesome and in the case of the front mount, required constant tightening of the bolt until the threads were stripped. Avoid.

My recommendation would be the Vibratech 'competition' mount which does allow some absorption of NVH while returning limited powertrain movement.

Lennard likes this.
  5. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

Are there many UK hillclimb events on loose surfaces, I thought they were all on asphelt?

I agree on the vibratech mounts, are the gearbox and bush items good products too?
    http://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/vw/golf_jetta_mk_ii

6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

An alternative to the ATB would be the wavetrac or similar OBX. They transmit power to the wheels even if it loses traction.

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Your details say Dubai, but yes, most hillclimb courses in uk are tarmac, although some are poor quality broken/green tarmac. Vibratechnics mounts should ideally be fitted as a set if three, gearbox and front are the most critical.

8. tones61

tones61 Forum Member

hi lenny,you may want to speak to "mrhillclimber"(jason) on here,we used to double drive his class/record breaking mk1 golf,;)

he is most helpful and runs his business to cover all this,:thumbup:

regards,tones,[:D]

9. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

Fair enough Rob, I can tell you that there are no Mk2 golfs out here though! I think they crush anything that's over 10 years old if they get half a chance ;)

Yeah Tones, he's the one building the engine :)

Is there anywhere which sells strengthening plates for the mk2?
    http://www.deltaparts.co.uk/index.asp?NavID=19 see bottom of page for example

The chassis is getting seam welded too but the guys doing the cage are handling that.

Is there anyone that does either a fiberglass or lightweight dash for the mk2?
    I want to keep the heater to stop fogging, or is there a company which does heated screens, then I can get rid of the dash?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  10. samfish

samfish Forum Member

If Jason is helping with the engine, he will be a great person to ask about set-up too. I think a hillclimb set-up is quite different to a circuit one.

Gear ratios are going to be important too.

By Wet-slicks, do you mean competition wets? I am not sure either. Some people say they are great on hillclimbs because they get up to temperature quickly, but others say they get detroyed - I imagine it depends on power and camber, and stuff like that? They are very expensive though.
    I believe they used competition wets on the Radical that broke the record here, so they must work well in some cases!:

[video=youtube;IfdVgEviVXI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfdVgEviVXI[/video]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
    Lennard likes this.
  11. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

There is huge differences in the tracks used for 'hillclimbs' from 30 second broken horrible tarmac that a rage buggy would do well on, all the way to single laps of race circuits. Best thing to do regarding setup is decide where you are going to run first. Generally....and this is generally.....cars are set up much softer than circuit cars with more wheel movement for bumps and cambers. A tarmac rally setup wouldnt be far off for many courses, but would be too soft for the faster ones.

Most hillclimbs are no more than 120secs in length so very soft rubber can be used. Next to no warmup so need to be soft as you can get hold of. Ultrasoft slicks are the way to go if they are available in the size you need. If not, folks do use race wets but they are not as good as a full slick in right compound. Budget 200-350 per tyre and the front runners bin them every year as the grip goes away after so many heat cycles. Supersoft tarmac rally tyres like dunlop 311 are pretty good in x22 compound. This is essentially an uncut rally wet.

Lennard likes this.
  12. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

Can you give me any advice on parts you think I should consider for my mk2?

13. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Parts for what?

14. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

Just parts that aren't normally considered, I mean everyone knows about poly bushes and engine mounts.

I'm interested finding out about parts and modifications that people don't always consider like the rear stub axle spacers for instance?

15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Too big a question.

16. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

It's hard for me to narrow because i'm looking for changes to a mk2 that I haven't considered.

As an example, is an aftermarket pedal box something I should budget for?

17. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

/Thread.

The thing is, why don't you just build a car to a moderate spec, then evolve it as you/it needs?

RobT's car.. He's spent the last 10 yrs or so developing it into the championship winning car it is.

Trouble being, a lot of people want to build a BTCC spec car when they've had little experience competing/track days to justify such an extreme initial build.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  18. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

I live in Dubai but the car is in the U.K, so I can't as easily put the car through the same evolutionary stages as someone who wakes up every day with it in their garage to tinker with on the weekends (as much as I would love to be able to do that).

My chat's with Jason have always been just what you've stated, a moderate spec, ok the arches are a bit OTT but that's just how I want the car to look.

I was just hoping I could get some advice from people and it's already helped allot in regard to the LSD and tyre choice.

19. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  20. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

(Might as well post this here as part of development continuity)

This is my scrapyard wide track shopping list, is it all correct:

Golf Mk3 wishbones 4 stud
    Tin sleeve for rear wishbone bushes or R32/S3/Leon Cupra R/Audi TT solid rubber, front wishbone rear bush also fits (8NO 407 181 B)
    Golf Mk3 driveshafts 4 stud
    Mk3 golf Steering arms 4 stud

I take it I can get all the mk3 golf parts from a turbo diesel or a 4 stud with an engine bigger than a 1.6?