GTI cam for increased power

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by davidut5, Oct 14, 2018.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Admin

For standard timing on a carb dizzy you set with vacuum line still connected to 18 degrees BTDC, if you still have carb flywheel the big diamond is in the right place so you just line that up. once happy, tweak it with a bit more advance and see how you go :)

2. davidut5 New Member

So 37mm from the tdc mark on flywheel, thanks.
    Cheap yato timing gun died on me, worked about whole 2 minutes.

[​IMG]

3. rubjonny

yep if your flywheel isn't from a carb originally you can make a new diamond marker using that measurement :thumbup:

4. davidut5 New Member

Just came from the car, looks like i have the diamond mark, at 37mm, and i was running over 20 mm over the diamond so about 27' btdc.
    I put it now 10mm over diamond see how it runs.
    Set it with vac connected and about 900 idle.

I was feeling some judder when off the gas, too much advanced maibe?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  5. davidut5 New Member

So, i just want to get more out of it, like a 1.8 conversion with 1.8 crank and pistons. I have to keep the original block because the engine code and serial are written in car registration. The engine can be exchanged with the same type and capacity or within 40% power difference and papers wont cost much.
    The 1.8 crankshaft+pistons should bump the ponneys up a little. From what engines or car models i need to take the parts? Same period maybe, carburetor or not? The mk3 crank 2.0 agg that i have, i read it will not fit. A 1.8 mk3 complete engine is about 80euros.
    Thanks a lot.

The crank should be 026105101F or 026105101E,from engine codes GU,RV,RG,RH,
    PB,PF,RP?? these are mk2 engines i think, little harder to find and a bit more expensive.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  6. rubjonny

026105101E is also fitte4d to MK3 engine code ABS, AAM, ANP, ADZ and ANN plus various passat engine codes. you also need the piston 026107065R which is used on the 1.8 carb & gti mk2 PF, RV, GU, RH and PB, plus MK3 ABS & ADZ amongst others.