GTI cam for increased power

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by davidut5, Oct 14, 2018.

1. davidut5 Forum Member

I see now, not doing things the right way is not good. Left the car on a hot day at idle, AC on for about 20-30 minutes. When i got on the road heard major detonation/ping on everything more than partial throttle.
    Coolant gauge was near first line to the right, oil was under 120dec celsius(if its accurate).
    After few km cooled down and never heard the nasty sounds.
    The crank sensor is on the belt pulley, i have some adjustment i can do, so i moved it clockwise about 2-3mm. This should retard spark, among other things, right?

2. davidut5 Forum Member

Its starting to break down on me, this old thing!
    Got to Bucuresti and lots of traffic, started to ping again ac on, no very hot the engine. On my way back started cutting out, eventually starting. It felt like a solid cut, when i released the clutch to start(it did not) when rolling i heard fuel pump relay click. This means crank sensor ok, ecu trigger ok, as it sent signal when ckp sensor saw rotation.
    When i removed the relay coil pin broke so i wedged the contact on. After this it never died again, got a new relay but somehow i dont think it was to blame.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022