gti engine on carb

Discussion in '8-valve' started by newkid, Feb 2, 2007.

1. newkid

newkid Forum Member

is this possible? If i got a 8v mk2 golf gti engine for my driver would be possible jus to put a 1800 carb and manifold on it and it'd be ok?
    [:s]
    would it be ok mated to the driver gear box or would that need changing?

2. luminosa Forum Member

whats the point of that[:s] if your gonna do it then do it properly;)

a mate of mines gonna be putting some weber 45's on a 2.0L and squeezing that into his 1600 driver:clap: thats worth the effort me thinks[:D]

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

It would work, sort of. You need to block up the injector holes (a penny piece fits very well). The other point is that you lose the heater channel for the carb, as the GTI head (the digi ones anyway) doesn't have the hole in it. Not sure if you can just drill it or not...

A weber 32/34 DMTL carb would probably work better than the Pierburg standard one

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Hope he manages to stop them from cooking over the exhaust...common problem with big carbs on an 8v. Doesn't matter so much on a competition car, as they usually run for shorter periods, but pain in the butt on a road car if the fuel starts evaporating.

5. luminosa Forum Member

LOL.... don't think he's using it for a daily driver, he's gonna be using it for track days, but i already told him how hard its gonna be to set em up, but its gonna look good and sound goo if he gets it working:lol:

yea i definitly go with a webber 32/34 if i were you, you'll get better fuel economy for a start;)

6. newkid

newkid Forum Member

so would it just be better to put a gti cam in my driver engine. im after a bit more oomf with out spending to much

7. luminosa Forum Member

i'd go for the webber carb, GTI cam or kent cam and pulley, uprated HT leads and a K&N bolt on;)

and if yu wanna go a step futher, a powerflow exhaust give you a bit more power too! (provided you get all the aove)

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

The 1800 or 2.0 engine is a better place to start, TBH, and you can't give away the bottom ends. Blocking up the injector holes costs 4p, and you can pick up a 2nd Hand Weber for something between 40-80 quid.

Alternatively, fit your driver head and GTI cam to the 1800 bottom end, which removes the coolant channel and injector hole issues, and try running it on the pierburg carb

I threw away a PB bottom end last year because nobody wanted it, even for a tenner. So don't pay too much. The head is the bit of a PB engine that's still worth money, along with the ancillaries like dizzy, alternator, starter, which you can swap from your 1600 engine.

I can get GTI cams pretty cheaply if you need one. PM me if you're interested

9. newkid

newkid Forum Member

so will i see a bit more "zup" from putting a gti cam in?
    If i did put a 1800 bottom end on would it have to be a gti one or it the 1800 driver the same?
    and would the carb need rejetting?

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

1800 bottom ends are the same. The carb would need rejetting really, which is probably easier with a Weber. Failing that, get a pierburg off an 1800 in the scrappy.

You'll get a few more horses (maybe 5?) from a GTI cam, but depends how well it's all set up. I'd reckon with a decent setup, 1800 block, GTI cam, weber carb, you should be up around the 100bhp mark.... and then a few more if you put a GTI exhaust, manifold and downpipes on it.

11. luminosa Forum Member

sorry you've both lost me[:s]

do you have a 1600 driver or an 1800?

must admit either one a webber 32/34 is the way to go;) provided its setup right, with a performance exhaust system your looking to get around the 95-100bhp mark.(on a 1600) i don't know what it'd be on a 1800 driver.

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

He's got a 1600... he's thinking of putting an 1800 engine in it.

Actually, reading that again, I'm not sure either...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  13. luminosa Forum Member

sweet;)

why doesn't he change the cylinder head aswell? if he wants power for less cost and is willing to get a little dirt under his nails, i'd recommend him doing a 16 valve conversion.

just go get one from the scrappy(in fair condition) recondition it yourself[:^:] and wack that in your driver, you'll certainly notice the difference from your 1600:lol:

14. newkid

newkid Forum Member

its a 1600 driver 1989.
    puttin an 16v in would mean putting fuel injection stuff in it wouldnt it?
    probably just put a 8v in tho tbh

sorry to confuse you both

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

16v with twin 45s is a real hot machine, but not a road car, in terms of fuel consumption... an 1800 8v would make a very noticeable difference to your car...if properly set up

16. timbutjack Forum Member

yep thats what i wanna do [8D], but only a weekend car for a bit of fun

17. timbutjack Forum Member

i say go with a 2.0l block

audi 80 block
    driver head
    webber carb
    gti cam
    gti exhaust system or aftermarket

how old are you btw, im not weird lol, just thinking about insurance

18. luminosa Forum Member

don't think it'd be wise as a car for road use, especially not with your track record:lol:

why don't you just use it as a trackday car, afterall it kight help with your car control:lol: ;)

19. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

It's not difficult to go from carb to fuel injection - so don't rule it out.

20. newkid

newkid Forum Member

I'm 21. and would like a few more ge gees. cant afford a gti so thought this would be the next best thing