GVKs mk2 VR6

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by GVK, Oct 23, 2003.

1. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

lol fair enough, that will be fun then, changing your wheels every time it rains! lol hope you have a garage!:lol:

come to think of it, i bet its pretty scary being in a car with you when its dry too! :p

tim
    Edited by: Tim

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

My workplace is only 1/2 mile down the road, fully equipped 3 bay workshop :p

A048s have only 4mm 'tread' so I'm not going to waste that by using them on the road all the time. Just wanted to take the shine off them and see what they're like [:D]

3. GVK

At Donington the other weekend going through the chicane onto pit straight.

[​IMG]

4. monza 16v Forum Member

That is a great pic above, car looks mean as fuck.

5. jjarvis Forum Junkie

Ahaaa, they're all coming back to twin lights now ;) [:D]

[​IMG]

6. Peter Forum Member

Looking tough as ever Gary :thumbup: Have you got any more plans for it?

pete

7. GVK

After my little 'excursion' sideways down Craner curves last time out, I really must think about a roll cage :lol:

Lots of stone chips on the front end and some rusty scabs on the driver's door need sorting too. Front shocks could do with rebuilding as they're a bit bouncy now they've done 40k.

Pretty happy with the way it goes, stops and handles at the moment though[:D]

8. Peter Forum Member

cool :) the increased rigidity wil be a bonus, these MKII's are getting a bit baggy now [:^(]

pete

9. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Twin light grill = :thumbup:

10. GVK

As you may have seen in the mag or on here, a load of us went to Bruntingthorpe with Golf+ to have our valvers tested, my results were

0-60 6.63
    0-100 17.04
    st 1/4 15.3
    vMax 131.2mph

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Car hasn't turned a wheel for the last month or so... Well not under it's own power anyway..lol

Gearbox had a gay moment en route to GTI international and lost a few teeth from 5th gear, so the gearbox has been repaired by Stealth , while it's in bits I thought, I'd have the final drive changed to a 3.89:1 ( standard 3.67:1) for better on-track acceleration.

Sadly parts had to be back ordered and took best part of a month to arrive.

Noticed a distinct lack of front end damping over the last year or so, hit a bump mid corner and the thing would pogo all the way out of the bend.

Stripped out the 3yr old FK konigsport coil overs to find both front dampers (koni T/A) fecked. Ordered replacements from GwentVW , again.. took a month to arrive, they're all rebuilt now and back on the car too.

So, while it's all in bits I decide to widen the track front and rear, for greater stability,others who've done this mod report it's all good.

With VW parts mostly being handily inter- changeable between models, I used '90 Passat wishbones,driveshafts and steering rods to increase the front track by a total of 32mm, to increase the rear track, I've used some fabricated steel spacers (10mm each side) between the beam axle and stubs, this wasn't without probs as 6 out of the 8 stub axle securing bolts snapped off.....

Drives really well, the lower FD has made the engine much more responsive, it does probably 400-500 more revs at the same road speed.

Car is much stiffer at the front now with the new dampers and Bonrath poly top mounts, can't wait to get it on track to find out how it performs on sticky rubber (Yokohama AO48)

[​IMG]

Which reminds me, better bolt the track wheels on to make sure they still fit with the wider track

[:$]
    Edited by: GVK

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  11. monza 16v Forum Member

Looking good Gary, new wheels look well.
    Euan.

12. GVK

Were a bargain from 'unknown' on here, they'll do for road use :) You guys with BBS must have the patience of a saint to keep on top of cleaning those things :p

13. gary_k Forum Member

Done a good job Gary. Are you going to GTi trackshow at Donington Park, end of July?:)

14. GVK

Cheers..Nah, wanted to but we're going to be at the Nurburgring for 4 days of track cainage that weekend[:D]

15. gary_k Forum Member

Oh...I wanted to race ya. Cant afford to go to Germany. These webers use a lot of fuel, like a proper performance vehicle should.:lol:

16. DODGER Forum Member

Any clearance issues with the new setup Gary?

17. GVK

Come to Cadwell on July 08th then :lol:

18. GVK

I think the rears catch a bit if you fit a big bump, but I expected that, I raised the front 15mm on the threads as I knew there would be trouble if not.

19. DODGER Forum Member

Looking better and better. Good to see the 4 lamp grill back on.

20. richgit Forum Junkie

jus roll or cut and reweld the arch lips if its catching with the extra width.