Harness mounting points and rollcage cross bars

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by altern8, Jan 4, 2008.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

Just after some advice on the harness mount points for a mk1

Whats your thoughts on these harness bars on the cages

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how I dont want to bolt them

[​IMG]

2. gillm

gillm ***** User

hi mate been thinking the same thing . i have been told that if they are too low you could snap the seat !

i will prob end up mounting them on the floor tho as im lazy

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The green car is the accepted 'Clubman' fit, which is what you're after Craig. Two eye bolts into the rear seat belt mounting points below the rear seat squab area.

The yellow car looks dodgy, because they're bending over a tube behind the drivers seat. Unsure.

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

Yellow car = no pp Chris`s point

White car = no, too high

Green car = OK as long as it`s right through the `double skin` there, two of those points are not standard are they ?

If the white car`s cross bars were lower then that`d be ideal.

My own car - has always passed scruitineering for hills / sprints and trackdays but Ian Carvell made the point that it`s probably not OK for racing as the harness bar is effectively bolted to the shell at the rear arches .. and may pull out under impact - if it did I think I`d be dead before that !

[​IMG]

5. POL

pol Forum Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  6. jamesa Forum Junkie

Neat ..... what`s the distance from seat to harness bar please ?

7. POL

pol Forum Member

can't remember. but it's just close enough so i don't need to cross the harnesses over. if i remember right you need to do that for anything over 70cm from the back of the seat.

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thanks ... was not aware of the crossover `reg`?

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'm sure I've heard the opposite? - unless it related to the double-to-single rear straps, which are now non-MSA compliant..

10. POL

pol Forum Member

sure it was in the trs instruction manual. if length between seat back and wrap over of the harness was to be over a certain lenght then the straps should be crossed over.

i could be wrong though.

11. jamesa Forum Junkie

Looking at a diagram in the Willans guide it shows the tail straps crossing by means of the supplied `buckle` ..... I`ll dig out the full instructions tomorrow as I`ve always deleted this `buckle` ?

12. POL

pol Forum Member

buckle rings a bell. think i've got them rattling about the boxes still. will check instructions when im at the unit tomorrow.

13. jamesa Forum Junkie

Couldn`t wait ... :lol:

[​IMG]

Quote Willans:

"Do not modify this harness"

It came with the tail straps already crossed in the `buckle` hence I`ve modified it !

" The twin tail strap crossover point should be positioned approx. 12" (300mm) behind the seat back and should not be able to contact the seat or any other part of the vehicle hardware when the harness is in use.

Looks like I`m putting the `buckles` back on

Have never been picked up at any scruitineering though ...

14. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

mine was wrapped around the cross rear bar on the cage. I would not drill a cage tube personally...
    My new cage is having 2 small cross pieces inset having spoken and delivered the car this morning to CC between the X bit and the side tubes.

they're also fitting me the seat rails - :)

15. jamesa Forum Junkie

Looking forward to seeing your cage etc. Bill, how long will it take ?

My harness bar although drilled has the threaded `sockets` welded into the tube.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  16. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

they want the car for 3 weeks.. took it there yesterday and the place is stacked full of cars being done.. busy as hell..

sockets.. good idea.. proper job. I loop my harness over the bar, removed my eyelets on mine.

17. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

on that green car the belts should really be crossed over. I have mine like that.

I have used the original seat mouting points as these will have had to have been tested and passed regs meaning they should withstand X Kn of force (im not 100% sure on how much, as its dependant upon the seat wieght etc and thats not my dept at work...) if you are mouting to the roll cage then be aware that the cage will have to be securely fitted, idealy welded in and with good spreader plates etc.

Unless you are entering propoer racers I would just use the original mounts ala the green one and so long as you have a good seat, ie FIA approved and you are within the 45deg limit you will be ok i would have said

18. g200jrh Forum Member

if the yellow car was mine i would of taken the clip of the belts and looped them around the roll bar behind the seat

19. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I always thought that if you had harnesses just bolted to the floor, in an impact, the force could snap the seat back and YOUR back :o

With the std inertia belt, you have a high mount above your shoulder, using the green car, all the mounting points are on the floor, which if you tighten them will pull towards the floor, crushing anything inbetween ie. you.

A shoulder height cage harness bar is surely better ?

20. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Yep thats right Nige because of the force pulling down instead of holding you back into the seat, we always fit level harness bars and also a must if using a Hans device.