Has anyone fitted their Quaife quick rack yet?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by timotei1980, Jan 7, 2015.

1. TomAKL

TomAKL Paid Member Paid Member

I've dug this Quickrack thread back up from the dead as i've just built one up myself and had a bit of an issue sourcing the Meyle rack that is apparetly needed.

Meyle no longer make the Mk2 manual rack 100 419 0022 (the rack the original group buy was based on as specified on their website), and as a result all stockists (ebay, motorfactors etc) have run out of stock of the RHD racks.

But rather than mill out a genuine VW rack - mill out from 32mm to 35mm bearing size and lower the bearing by ~8mm, and also clearance the pinion shaft tooth area - GSF and other motorfactors can get hold of the BORG aftermarket rack. I took a punt and bought one to see if BORG have copied Meyle and it seems they have, the bearing inside is 35mm and low enough to fit the Quaife quickrack kit straight in, no messing about with any of it.

VW Heritage also stock an aftermarket Forst rack, which looks identical to the BORG and Meyle design so may well be the same, both are around £60.

So have at it with the Quaife quickracks again, with any luck once i get mine fitted to my Mk3 it will be amazing and won't have been a complete waste of time!

2. LSJ

LSJ New Member

I don’t suppose you have a link or part number for the BORG rack do you? I’ve had a look around but can’t find the right one.

Cheers!

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Good to know
    Thanks
    Jon

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Holy thread revival again. Fitting another quick rack, this time into my second mk1.
    Last one I did was into my mk2, so ordered the Meyle rack for this to suit the 36mm diameter top bearing.
    Fell into the trap which I am pointing out here to anybody considering this mod.
    Bought a mk1 meyle rack. Wrong. (relying on my useless memory of this sort of detail)
    The mk1 kit has a 32mm top bearing , as Tony points out.
    Doh.
    Spare unused Meyle mk1 rack here....
    Oh well, rummage through the stock of std mk1 VW racks, I suppose.
    Let my mistake be your lesson for today
    LOL
    Jon

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Or I could make a sleeve to adapt it, I suppose
    Jon

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Just to close my comments off. Spacer sleeve made 35 OD 32 ID 7mm long. (to fit quaife QR to mk1 meyle rack)
    Rack complete and on car
    Jon

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

nice work Jon tnx for the info :)

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Yeah, thought i'd share, may be useful to someone
    ATB
    Jon