HDR!

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by Winso, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

You really need different exposures completely. Just doesnt work at all with a dark and bright image.

What camera are you using? The link i posted above was my first ever attempt and i just took a pic from the bedroom window after work with AEB set to -2 +2 and took 3 pics in RAW on burst mode.

2. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

i had a go last night with photomatix pro and it just was pants! :lol:

was at night in the room with a light on, not the fanciest of pictures like.........

3. jedi_stylie Forum Member

well.. the picture i want to 'HDR' isnt really a picture i could take 3 times lol
    im using a Fuji Finepix s5700

here it is anyway:
    [​IMG]

cheers for having a go
    Luke

4. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

cackness:

[​IMG]

:lol:

5. Winso Forum Member

TBH it's not an ideal shot to make into a HDR image bacause there's not actually a massive dynamic range with the image to start with. The water in the foreground is a little blown out (totally white) as is the blokes arm but theres nothing totalally black.

Anyway I used photoshop to make a darkened and lightened version. Darkened version enough to bring detail back into foreground water (sleve was totally blown out so detail there is gone for good) and lightened version enough to bring out a bit more detail on the dark part of his leg (not that it actually shows).

Put them through photomatix with EVs of -1.5, 0 and 1.5, this was a total guess though. Messed with the settings a bit and this is what came out.
    [​IMG]

Looks OK but needs a bit of Photoshop treatment in my opinion!
    [​IMG]

6. jedi_stylie Forum Member

Nice one, Wez's attempt looks like what i was producing... mine was probably worse lol

The origional picture was slighty over-exposed anyway.. and my rashy is totally white so thats why its a bit, er, bright lol

thanks for having a go though, the water looks great in that that last one, thanks Winso. ill steal that back if you dont mind and have a tinker in PS.

Cheers, Luke

7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

No, but if you have a camera capable of taking RAW images, then you can adjust the exposure properly, rather tham messing with darkened and lightened pictures, which just wont work properly. :)

8. Winso Forum Member

9. jedi_stylie Forum Member

Deako, i didnt know that. i doubt its capable of doing that TBH. Its really just a glorified digital camera. inbetween a compact and an DSLR.

Ill look into it though, thanks
    Luke

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

But it still works quite well if you manually adjust the exposure and export 3 versions by post processing the RAW image with PS or Aperture or something. Looks pretty good and you can still achieve the dramatic effects.

11. JAY

Jay Forum Member

just looking at a few websites, it seems to suggest i can use one photo, convert it to tif and make it HDR, but when i try it in photoshop cs2, it says there is not enough dynamic range, any ideas?

12. enc. Forum Member

same here [8(] c'mon peeps where are we going wrog ?

13. JAY

Jay Forum Member

i've just started using photomatix, that seems to allow the EV change on one photo

14. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

You can use one photo. However, you need to be starting with a raw image, export 3 versions with 3 exposures and remove the exif data from the tif image, unless you are using the latest version of photomatix.

15. JAY

Jay Forum Member

i've got photomatix pro 3, thought i could use a decent size jpg and covert to tif

16. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Nope, not really. You need 3 exposures, so need to edit a RAW image if you have only 1 image (which will allow you to alter the exposure). Just editing the brightness of each image will not work properly.

17. enc. Forum Member

sussed HDR at last :lol:

This one is bordering OTT i think but OK for a first attempt. Created with one frame, shot in RAW mode.

[​IMG]

18. dubcheryl Forum Member

I think thats worked really well, doesn't seem OTT to me,

19. JAY

Jay Forum Member

looks very good to me, just trying to obtain a 'trial' version of cs3 as the raw plugin doesnt work with my camera as i've been told its too new!

20. enc. Forum Member

You will need to download a plugin from the Adobe website.

I had to for CS2 to recognise the NEF/RAW files from my nikon ;)