Hello from Gateshead!

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Gazzmondo, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Gazzmondo

Gazzmondo Paid Member Paid Member

Thought I'd give a little update. Had loads of problems with the car running/idling rough, as a few people on here already know. I've had some great advice on getting this sorted. I've now got a small problem of hot start issues, but hopefully it's something trivial? I've replaced the overrun cut-off valve recently. Fixed a leaking fuel pump pipe, replaced the non return valve. Going to have a look at the in-tank pump. Replaced a leaking drive shaft flange seal (need to do the other side this weekend). Need to replace my sump gasket which is leaking. Also replacing the old sump bolts with stainless allen key ones. I've just noticed that my MOT has ran out. I've done just over 400 miles in the last year and 230 of those miles were driving the car home on the day I bought it.

Leaky pipe on the fuel pump. Replaced the washers, 45p each from VW.
    [​IMG]

New non return valve
    [​IMG]

New driveshaft seal.
    [​IMG]

My new stainless sump bolts.
    [​IMG]

Drivers side driveshaft seal to go on this weekend.
    [​IMG]

2. Gazzmondo

Replaced the driver's side driveshaft seal on the gearbox, using my trusty home made tool, to keep the drive flange pressed in while I put the circlip back in. Also put in a new lift pump. It's now started raining, so that's all for today.
    Just need to replace the sump gasket.
    My knowledge base is growing rapidly but only down to this website and it's fantastic members. I've done stacks of jobs on my Golf since buying her 10 months ago that I never thought I could manage - not bad for someone that hasn't picked up a spanner since fixing my BMX in the mid 80's.
    I can honestly say, if the membership was 100 a year, instead of 10, I'd still pay it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Gazzmondo

Took the sump off tonight to change the gasket. The two bolts next to the gearbox were a bit of a pain to get off, but managed. Discovered loads of what looks like silicone gasket seal clogging the oil pick up. Can't be good for it?
    New gasket on. Another job done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Good work. Replacing a sump gasket or gearbox seal are pretty fiddly jobs aren't they.

Did the oil pump pick-up strainer look clean? Worth a check considering you had a fair amount of debris in there.

5. Gazzmondo

Flushed the strainer out with some carb cleaner while it was on the car. Loads of gunged up oil came out. It couldn't have been working properly with all that rubbish in it.

6. Gazzmondo

Replaced the sump gasket but it was still leaking oil and had a dent where the plug was. So decided to replace the whole lot.

[​IMG]

7. Gazzmondo

Car passed the mot today. It just needed a sidelight bulb. Getting a fuel pressure test done, to rectify the hot start issue.

8. Gazzmondo

Picked the car up today and the garage reckon that the starter motor is on it's way out. Sounds like it's not engaging fully when it starts sometimes. Fuel pressure test done as well. Car holds pressure well for a little while when turned off, but after about 15 minutes the fuel pressure is zero. Now looking into getting the fuel pressure relief valve out and having a look at that.

9. Gazzmondo

Getting my starter motor rebuilt today as it's struggling to turn over when it's warm/hot. It looks like it's had a hard life, to be honest.

[​IMG]

Also having the rear wiper looked at.

[​IMG]

Decided to treat the bumpers with some Teak Oil. Looks OK. Probably needs another coat.
    BEFORE:
    [​IMG]
    AFTER:
    [​IMG]
    BEFORE:
    [​IMG]
    AFTER:
    [​IMG]

10. Slinks Paid Member Paid Member

This is looking so nice. It's what I want to do to mine. Any plans for wheels etc. Your doing a grand job keep it up.

11. Gazzmondo

Just going to keep it to minimum. No big alloys or anything as it's got no power steering, so it's difficult enough driving at slow speed as it is.
    Probably sort out my hot start issue next. Suspected worn rubber o-rings in the fuel pressure valve. Could do with a couple of tyres on the front, as they were advisories on the M.O.T. Tread on them is good, but the car stood for 8 years and the rubber has perished on the side walls. Repair my seat bolsters after that.

12. Gazzmondo

Just got word from the electrician. Starter has been rebuilt and tested. He's suggested upgrading the wiring on the charging/starting (earth leads etc.) and upgrading solenoid doing away with the cold start.
    Rear wiper heated rear window is showing continuity from the switch. So that will need to be fixed. He's came in on a Sunday especially to do the starter - That's what you call great service! Same lad did my alternator. Only a young lad but he's spot on.
    Auto Electrical Services, Station Road, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear NE10 0RS. 0191 4696003.

13. Slinks Paid Member Paid Member

I don't blame you sounds like hard work lol. At least without it it's one less thing to worry about, as my pipes look a bit suspicious! sounds like you've got it all Sussed out. Mine seems to be getting a bit hot in traffic at the minute so need to sort that out, and I need to put in a new door pin in on the drivers door as that's dropped. whats your interior? I might have a bit in the garage spare

14. Gazzmondo

Rebuilt starter:

[​IMG]

15. Kroney Forum Member

You're doing well on this, much better than I'm doing on mine. What I'd do for a nice, level drive...

16. Gazzmondo

Just ordered some new anti roll drop links as they were an advisory on the MOT. But I think disaster has struck again, as I think my gearbox has gone. After replacing the drive flange oil seals, I haven't really used the car that much. I replaced the drive flange oil seals on BOTH sides using the same size oil seal for either side. When putting the drive shafts back in I couldn't see any notches or marks to line up. So just pushed them in so they were snug. Over the last few days after the MOT, I started to hear a knocking noise from the front passenger side. After having the starter rebuilt it's really bad and the drive flange oil seals are leaking oil everywhere. It's now a knocking and grinding noise. I asked the lad that fitted the starter, if he'd supported the engine when he did it, as the starter is bolted through the engine mounting. He said no, he just unbolted it. After consultation with rubjonny on here, I'm going to check to see if anything has been bent, stripped or sheared, in case something has moved after the starter's been removed. Just seems too much of a coincidence?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  17. Gazzmondo

Knocking noise was down to me not tightening enough the large centre nut on the wheel that goes onto the driveshaft, passenger side - Doh!
    Still got gearbox oil leaking. Looks like it's coming from the drive flange seals again? In particular the one that has the coloured sleeve behind it.
    I've noticed there's a gap between the sleeve and the gearbox itself and the sleeve has a very small dent in it. Can the oil be leaking from there, and are these renewable?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  18. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

This may be of help but the input shaft seal on an 8v is 22mm and on the 16v the seal is 24mm, and I've seen on another thread that the company had mixed them up and was the reason for the leak. If that isnt the source of the leak, at least it reduces the possible culprit! Good luck. I've just read from beginning, very nice work.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

19. Gazzmondo

Thought I'd replace the anti roll drop links tonight. The old ones had thicker bolts on them and a larger 19mm nut, as opposed to the 13mm new ones...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I am following the work done and it would appear you have adopting the attitude of getting this car back to almost showroom condition and enjoying it!

Good luck and I am watching!