help is needed desperatly! my mk3gti is STILL cutting out

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by oli_w, Apr 20, 2007.

1. oli_w New Member

i think i have located the problem, as after diagnostics, many mechanics, oil n filter change, plugs, leads distributer etc it stil randomly cuts out, oil light flashes up and dies instantly!! havin a look thru the engine bay i found that the rubber pipe thing in the pic ( very technical ) is really too soft,so im thinkin maybe when i drive as its the pipe sucking the air thru to the engine it might be sucking it closed thus makin the oil pressure sensor coming on and cutting the whole thing out! can anyone tell me what it is called and where i can get a new part from? im depserate as this is the last hope for my poor car :( any help would be more than appreciated!! [​IMG]

2. richellis Forum Member

ecu relay, or the coil

3. oli_w New Member

i had a new coil pack put on the other week by the aa but as of yet havent checked the ecu relay! wana try n replace that pipe still as it feels too soft and thinning to be able to cope with the air circulatuon, thanks man

4. richellis Forum Member

mine was split for weeks and made no diff when i changed it

5. oli_w New Member

really no difference? where did u get urs from? i have tried to find a place to get a new relay from but eurocar parts dont have any, is it only available from a main dealer? its just well confusing as its the oil pressure light that kills my car but diagnostics showed everything was fine so i thought it must be due to that ?

6. bertelli_1 Forum Member

That pipe is only a breather, will make no difference. It sounds like you have either a wiring fault with the oil circuit or your engine is suffering from oil starvation / excessive wear and the oil pressure is really dropping. I would be inclined to fit an oil pressure gauge and monitor it when the fault occurs.

7. oli_w New Member

thanks! will look into that, is it easily fiable tho if its starving the engine? scared of the cost if i take it to a garage as they will run it on diagnostics again probs!

8. richellis Forum Member

got the relay from midland VW, (less than 10) and the pipe from vw dealer (13)
    As for the cutting out my oil light was flashing so I was going to replase the oil press swich but replasing the cam sensor has sorted the prob.
    Was told that this is normaly the case but get the fault codes read and cleared. Then when it cuts out get it done again.
    The ECU relay and cam sensor may not log fault codes, so if none are shown Id try those first

9. oli_w New Member

thanks! when it went thru the diagnostics it ran fine for a day or two so it might have cleared all the codes! my mate said his scooby kept cuttin out and he had the cam sensor replaced n it worked fine so i willl def check that out! should i get the diagnostics to check again before i replace the sensor or should i replace the senser and it should be ok? sorry for all the q's

10. richellis Forum Member

get the diagnosis done but as i said it may not show as a code but since doing my cam sensor 18 months ago its never had a problem

11. oli_w New Member

thanks man!! where can i pick up a cam sensor or it it just main dealers? and how easy to fit?

12. richellis Forum Member

I just got mid vw to supply and fit. so i dunno were to go but id guess ECP, or GSF.
    As for fitting I needed a new oil filter and oil so think that came off

13. oli_w New Member

i get more and more confused tho as now i can drive my car fine if i dont rev higher than 2000rpm ( about 40mph) did anyone else have this prob?? its driving me crazy ! i have booked her in to check if it may be a faulty fuel pump ??? just guessing at things really and to top things off i think one of my engine mounts has gone! [:^(] [:x]

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

mine did this for one weekend and i do not know why it did it or what cured it.

i had cleaned out the throttle body and had the airbox etc out to do it.

i basically reversed the process and it all worked fine after.

when i was driving, id put my foot down adn the rev needle would drop instantly.

i guess crnak sensor or ecu relay (somehow)

soz mate, but its a wierd one.

15. oli_w New Member

thanks mate, its crazy, i cleaned out the throttle body and pipes etc but it still is doing it, and now im a bit scared to put my foot down incase it cuts out again! did u change ur relay? coz i will do that anyway but heard that u need to put diagnostics back on it after to sort all the codes out? ( not v technical sorry!) or could i just pull out the old one and in with the new?

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

relay is a straight swap.

mine happened after doing all the stupid 'clean the throttle body' advice. made no difference and totally unlikely to in any event.

take it all back off again, including getting the air box out etc and put it all back in... whats how i cured mine. makes no sense but it worked.

if yours does it again, tell me what the rev counter does?

another thing is that when it cuts, you cannot bump start it till you turn off the ignition and turn it on again.

crank sensor anyone/?

17. oli_w New Member

ok i will do that in a bit! when i put my foot down everything just dies, like the rev counter and speedo just drop, the oil light comes on then everything cuts out, and sometimes i have to wait a few minutes for it to start again. just a bit disconcerning when ur don about 80 and u suddenly loose the ability to stear or stop properly!

18. yardi29 Forum Member

change your crank sensor tucked away behind the oil filter its a common problem especially on an agg engine

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

happened to me one time at a similar speed. dont let the steering lock come on lol

as for brakes, do it all in one application of the brakes otherwise youll run out of servo assistance and basically nothing wil happen lol

or get the prob fixed :p

20. oli_w New Member

cheers mate! gunna try get one, tried eurocarparts but no joy so im thinkin main dealer?? also is it a simple plug out and swap thing or would i have to take it to a garage n shizz, many thanks!