Help...removing lock barrels from mk2 golf gti?

Discussion in 'Security' started by funkbaron, Jun 5, 2006.

1. funkbaron Forum Junkie

As you may have read in my previous thread, i've lost my car keys and immobiliser touch-key. The immobiliser is sorted now with a replacement reprogrammed key, but VW don't keep a record of key numbers from 1992[8(] , so I have to pull out the lock barrel and go to a lock smith - which would be easiest: boot plinth, door lock or ignition barrels? I'm guessing the door handles?

2. Dono Forum Member

door handles, 2 screws to take off handle, and one screw to take barrel out - only its best to take the barrel out with the key in, so u dont loose the levers. but since u aint got one, u should be ok. just keep em in a small bag with tape wrapped arround the barrel to keep everything in place.

3. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Cheers dono, since found out the door barrels use less levers than the ignition barrel, so i need to remove the ignition...this is turning into a real PITA! The guy on the phone said the key numbers may be stamped on the boot or door locks, but he wouldn't gaurantee they'll cut a key to fit! I can't see any easy way of removing the ignition brrel - looks like the whole column has to be pulled apart, any ideas? Grrrr[:x]

4. vrooooom Forum Member

I'd go for the door handle. U shouldn't have to remove the door card unless somethings stuck.

You could get a locksmith out to the car, but that'll cost a bit more!

Might be worth pricing up a replacement set of locks, although you've still got to get the ignition barrel out!

Don't you know anyone with a metal detector?? then go have a wander through the woods

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  5. funkbaron Forum Junkie

locksmith to my car ain't an option, it costs 100 inc callout charge. 30 if i take the ignition barrel to the locksmiths, or 8.25 if i can get a key number that may or may not be stamped on one of the barrels - but then no gaurantee it'll work in the ignition. So looks like it'll have to be the ignition barrel option!

6. vrooooom Forum Member

I'd check the drivers door barrel for a number first off.

You priced up a new set off locks?

7. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Not yet, i would phone round the scrappers here, but they never seem to have any mk2's, and when they do i bet they never have the keys! I'll check for the number on the door lock barrel when i get to my car this evening. On the offchance someone has an old handle and lock lying about, would be nice to know if theres any key code stamped on?

8. madmonkey Forum Addict

If it's anything like my old Mk2, if you go to VW with the barrel number, they should be able to order a key off it.[:s]

Door barrel should be ok, what I would do is take drivers and passenger locks out to make sure they're both the same.:thumbup:

Would deffo try VW with the barrel number first.

9. vrooooom Forum Member

I've had a look for my old door handles, but i can't find them:lol:

10. funkbaron Forum Junkie

:lol: thanks for the effort though!

11. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Yeh, i phoned them up, seemed really promising, as the guy told me to bring down the V5 etc, got there and he said there was nothing on the system - i'll try another VW dealers when i get the barrels out, as the guy i was dealing with was a bit of a space-cadet!:lol:

12. vrooooom Forum Member

Not 100% sure, but it looks like if you don't have the key, then getting the ignition barrel out is going to be a bit of a pig.
    How much would vw charge for a key if you find the number?? surely they should be able to do it from the chassis number?? or don't they have records that far back?

13. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Nope - their records don't go back that far unfortunately! Sod it - i'm going to pull out all 3 barrels from the doors and boot, see if theres a key number stamped on them, and get one cut from that. I think the only time i'm gonna have to get worried is if there aren't any key numbers on any barrels, and i have to get one made up from the ignition barrel[8(]

14. YAZZ Forum Member

hello mate, i've got a new barrel here in front of me, what numbers would you require?

15. vrooooom Forum Member

I have a horrible suspision that there aren't anynumbers on the door lock barrels, i swapped mine all around when i delocked the front doors, i put a good one in the boot as the orgional boot one was seized.
    If the drivers one hasn't numbers then i can't see the others having them.

16. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Hey Yazz - can you give me all the numbers that are present on it - one will be the vw part number the other, hopefully, will be a key number - send me a pm if you like! cheers!

17. YAZZ Forum Member

sorry, obviously the number on the barrel that i've got won't help you, duh!

18. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo[:^(] ! Well, in 3hrs i'll be at my car to find out! At worst, i'll have to remove the whole steering column i guess, and get a key custom made to the ignition, so it's not all bad even if there are no numbers!

19. funkbaron Forum Junkie

True, but it'd be good to know if there is an additional number stamped on (how many digits etc), alongside the part number

20. YAZZ Forum Member

ok.

part no. 535 905 855 or 585 905 855

the 2nd digit of the part number is worn so it looks like a 3 or an 8.