Help with ABF/CE2 conversion on mk1 gti

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Queiroz, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Queiroz New Member

In part A after connecting the existing plugs to CE2 been left with some loose ones.

From 1 to 9 have no absolutely idea where they go
    Also 9 seems to be cut or missing some plug
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Following John input in B part should be
    1- Heated washer jets
    2- Wiper motor
    3- Left blinker repeater
    [​IMG]

Part C
    1- Brake fluid level
    2- cut/ missing plug? No idea
    [​IMG]

Relatively close to this, still outside of scuttle have this #3 with wire cut/missing plug
    [​IMG]

Part D
    1- ECU plug
    2- Right blinker repeater

Part E
    Lambda probe
    [​IMG]

Part F
    1- Intake Air Temperature with missing plug i need to buy? Assume it connects to sensor in intake pipe coming from air filter box
    2- Carbon cannister - bin?
    [​IMG]

Part G
    1- AC stuff -bin?
    2- AC stuff -bin also?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I appreciate all the help you guys are providing! :thumbup:

Attached Files:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Part A:
    1: Z/1
    2: Y spade
    3: Z/2
    4: MK3 clocks (dont need)
    5: headlight range control (dont need)
    6: diagnostics wire from ecu to immobiliser box
    7-8: aircon (looks like the car had climatronic, rare option here!)
    9: black/yellow is an ignition live for the aircon/fan control system, blue/white is ECU VSS signal to W/1 on fusebox

Part B:
    1: heated washer jets (dont need)
    2: wiper motor (mk2/3 wiper motor fits mk1, then this will plug right in)
    3: side repeator in the wing (dont need, as your mk1 doesnt run them)

Part C:
    1: brake fluid level warning
    2: coolant tank level sensor (you need to add a 42/43 relay to enable coolant level warning on the mk1 clocks, if you dont want it these wires can be removed)
    3: coil (can convert ABF loom to run mk1/2 type electronic ignition, or splice this plug back on later)

Part F:
    1: inlet temp sensor (needs same plug as 2)
    2: carbon canister vent valve (dont need unless you require one to be fitted by law)

Part G:
    1-2: aircon

Queiroz likes this.
  3. Queiroz New Member

On to the left side of car

Part H
    1- radiator fan control?
    2- radiator fan control?
    [​IMG]

Part I
    1- Reverse switch
    2- Aircon switch - bin?!
    3- Come connected with loom, don't know if it's in the right place?
    4- Engine round plug, knock sensors and cranck speed sensor
    5, 6, 7 - Confused [:s]
    [​IMG]

Close pic of 7, seems to be damaged and somehow needs to be sorted?
    Only one wire connected with splice and other missing
    [​IMG]

Part J, close to battery terminal
    1- ground cables
    2- unknown
    [​IMG]

Part K
    1- Fan thermoswitch with splices in them?
    [​IMG]

Part K
    2- Left headlight
    [​IMG]

Part K
    3- Outside temp
    [​IMG]

Part L
    Radiator fan
    [​IMG]

Part M
    1- Has a plug and splice to negative terminal, that doesn't seem factory. connected OK?
    2- Broken, no idea
    [​IMG]

Close up, ignore the number, should be M #2
    [​IMG]

3- Right headlight
    [​IMG]

4, 5 and 6, no idea
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Queiroz New Member

Completing the engine bay, in engine wiring, some loose ones I don't have a clue
    P1
    [​IMG]

P2
    [​IMG]

P3 and P4 on cam belt side
    [​IMG]

P3 seem to go to throtlle control but there must be something wrong in that baecause I can't fit the plug in there
    No space between connector and timing belt cover
    [​IMG]

5. rubjonny

Part H:
    1-2: fan control module (up to you if you want it or not, without a./c you can chop all ac sensors and just leave fan bits)

Part I:
    1: starter motor (fit a mk3 1.8-2.0 8v starter motor and this plugs right in)
    2: reverse
    3: alternator
    4: ecu sensor plug, crank and knock sensors
    5-6: aircon
    7: alternator (someone has been in there before you and trashed it, if mk3 are common in scrap yards just get another alternator cable otherwise splice a new plug on)

Part J:
    1: earths
    2: aircon

Part K:
    1: radiator fan thermoswitch (someone has been in there and bodged the wiring for another switch)
    2: headlight plug (yellow/black dipped beam, white/black main beam, brown earth, grey/black sidelight)
    3: front indicator

Part L:
    1: Fan

Part M:
    1: main headlight loom -> slam panel connector (strip back tape and fix bodge)
    2: chase wires back to find original wire colours. those are not MK3 era terminals or wire colours
    3: headlight (yellow dipped beam, white main beam, brown earth, grey/red sidelight)
    4: horn
    5: indicator
    6: horn

Queiroz likes this.
  6. rubjonny

Part p:
    1: rad fan after-run thermoswitch (on the front of the inlet between ports 3 and 4 under the spark plug trim thingy, can remove switch and bin along with rest of FCM and aircon wiring if you like)
    2: speedometer sender (dont need with mk1 clocks)
    3: throttle position sensor (037907385N is pre-96 type throttle position sensor, as is your inlet manifold. if your throttle body is post-96 that may be why it doesnt fit right?)
    4: breather heater (dont need, can chop it out or plug to the empty socket on the plastic breather heater pipe)

Queiroz likes this.
  7. rubjonny

looking at the front pic of your engine, is there another set of bolt holes for the tps to screw into I see there?

Queiroz likes this.
  8. Queiroz New Member

Great catch, havent seen that yet.
    Later tonight Im gonna take a look.
    Thanks for the info on all wires John.
    Thats great help for sorting it all out!

9. Queiroz New Member

BTW, how call you tell manifold is pre-96?
    05-11-96 is the date in engine label sticker, but looking at all the splicing and cutting in wiring, engine could be a bundle of parts

10. Queiroz New Member

So took a better look and the other holes dont have threads...
    Manifold PN is 037133223T
    TPS is 037907385N
    Even with timing cover out doesnt fit... [:s]

[​IMG]

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Early 93 throttle sensor.

Queiroz likes this.
  12. rubjonny

To tell if the inlet manifold is pre or post-96 you look for a vacuum nipple near to the throttle body round the back on the inlet manifold. If it has one, its post-96. since yours doesn't have one its pre-96. Heres a post-96 to compare:
    [​IMG]

looking at this piccy I found, seems like your TPS is fitted at the wrong angle. If that other bolt hole does line up and it fits be sure to check the throttle angle in VAGCOM to make sure it sits at 0 degrees when closed
    [​IMG]

Queiroz likes this.
  13. Queiroz New Member

Toyotec, will give it a go and buy a new one.
    Ive seen another one with different design is some ABF pics, with plug square to the bolts and not pointing downwards like mine.

14. Toyotec

John, I would exercise just a tad of caution on your last post, especially this comment "seems like your TPS is fitted at the wrong angle". I would not want to send the OP into a dead end before the engine actually fires!

The throttle sensor and throttle body changed to the later square design along with other engine components with the introduction of immo'd ECUs in the latter part of 94, up grading from 037906024G and 037906024AB.

Older pre 94 engines can be run on post 94 037906024AE and later post August 95 037906024BE/CE ecus and vise versa. These are the nuggets of information, that are typical here on Club GTI.

The throttle sensor and throttle body pictured by Queiroz are correct. These specific throttles, are the ones that I used to avoid swapping into MK2 cars as the highest part of the throttle body, oveer the purge inlet would foul the bonnet. Not a problem in a MK1.

Later hardware as fitted to my 'sleeper' JENVEE.

[​IMG]

These engines are more than 20 years old now, so it is likely folks can have stuff from one model year swapped about.

I would caution disturbing components on the engine, until there is justification after the other electrical tasks are completed.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  15. Queiroz New Member

John the first picture you post in last comment shows a tps different to mine, as I said To Toyotec. Plugs look square to bolts and not downward like mine.
    Ive got another pic of mine and it has 2 nipples near to the throttle body.
    Is this you are mentioning?
    Also was planning on connecting ecu to one of this... doable?
    [​IMG]

16. Toyotec

I will chime in here again.
    The throttle looks fine to me.
    I recommend to use the nipple at the end of the manifold rather than that one.
    I tend to plug the both of them.

17. Queiroz New Member

Yes, Im going to keep manifold and throttle body.
    The sensor Ill have to buy, since I dont have any way to connect the plug with this one, theres just no space.
    Yesterday also noted upon removal that when fitted to the throttle sensor is already being pushed a little by the rod inside when the bolts line up, and with throttle completely closed. This may read some opening in the ecu but cant confirm that yet..

18. rubjonny

the 1st picture in my post was just for reference to show you what the 'late' type manifold looks like, look closely and you can see the extra vacuum pipe to the rear of the inlet manifold which yours doesnt have. So your inlet manifold and throttle body both appear to be early, and matched.

the second picture is an early inlet and throttle body same as what you have. its hard to be sure from the picture as its quite small, but it does look the tps is slightly rotated compared to yours and thus the tps & plug both clear the timing belt

so my suggestion would be before you rush off and spend money, see if the tps will bolt on using the other set of holes I think I can see in your picture. if it does, then your problem may be solved. but like I said, be sure to plug VAGCOM in and check the throttle angle reads correctly at 0 degrees when the throttle is closed before you try to start the car. if it reads as slightly open then you know my idea wont work and you need to look into buying a different throttlebody or tps to make it all work.

Queiroz likes this.
  19. Queiroz New Member

Yesterday also took a better look at this.
    When you mention non-ac waterpump, they are specific or the same with just different pulley?
    If just the pulley will this one be correct?
    PN 03D121028B
    The alternator bracket for cars without AC and the spring in the bottom could use some help, cant seem to find correct PN
    Thanks once again!

20. rubjonny

sorry my mistake I meant waterpump pulley! its runs off the ribbed alternator belt. any 1.8-2.0 8v without ac has the one you need, plus a fair few other models. last I checked it was cheap from VW as well :)

Trial fit the engine first before you spend any money on a new alternator and bracket, as you have the a/c bracket it sits slightly different to the non-ac version of the tensioner wheel bracket so you might be ok

edit: piccy of the pulley I mean, its part number is 028121031K and my copy of ETKA says it is still available but cant comment on price in your country
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Queiroz likes this.