Hesitation during initial acceleration

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Tasos, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Tasos New Member

Ok... the inlet manifold heater shall switch off at 40 degrees if I remember correctly? What about the autochoke heater?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its 55 for the inlet heater and 30degrees on the auto choke :)

3. Tasos New Member

Thanks rubjonny :) I’ll check them!

4. Tasos New Member

Do you know where to buy a genuine pierburg 2E rebuild kit? I found some kits on ebay but they don’t seem very reliable...

5. rubjonny

6. Tasos New Member

Hello again, it’s been a while...
    I continue to torture myself with my Pierburg 2E carburetor...
    Can anyone inform me where I can find original parts for the carb; such as main jets, ttv unit, idle jet, etc? Also, is it possible to buy a complete new pierburg carburetor?
    I search the web, but I can’t find anything...
    I decided to renew everything in the carb, or to buy a new one, if this is possible...

7. rubjonny

some parts are available from VW, and classic parts also offers some others. however this can ensd up quite expensive! ebay sometimes has gems pop up also so keep your eye peeled. The way I went about it was to buy several cheap used carbs, then strip them right down and test all of the parts individually to get a pool of known good spares. Once I had that I rebuilt the carb on my own car and ended up with a perfect 2e2 which is a joy to own ;)

8. Tasos New Member

One more question,
    Which is the correct direction of the non return valve, which is coming from the pull down unit to the inlet? Mine has direction from the pdu to the inlet.
    The pierburg manual says the opposite... but still shows the white part towards the inlet. which is correct?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  9. rubjonny

10. Tasos New Member

Yes, mine also. But the pierburg manual says that the passage shall be from the white side to the black, mine is the opposite, has passage from the black to white... that’s why I’m confused.

11. rubjonny

yes there is a bit of debate over which way round it should go, theres some good info from EZ_Pete in the thread above.

This all happened years after I sold my driver and bought a GTI so I was unable to take part in any testing for myself either way. All I can say is that with the valve that way round on my 1.6 the car drove like an absolute dream once the 2e2 was fully repaired :)