How can you get a good paint job with rattle cans

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by altern8, Jan 24, 2009.

1. alexisblades99 Forum Member

read on here somewhere it's a good idea to mildly heat the cans with a hairdryer for extra pressure/finer spray. haven't tried this myself, though.

2. Raider Forum Member

Yup was just going to mention this... I use warm water before shaking them. Makes the paint thinner and then should'nt be "spat" out the nozzle as rattle cans can do.

And keep the Nozzle clean aswell.... So it sprays the correct pattern.

3. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Yeah, stick the can in a bowl of hot water to get a better finish, just make sure the can is totally dry so it doesn't drip on your freshly prepped surface!

4. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

I never thought about that, i used to leave them on my radiator for a day haha

5. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Dave, apply several very thin coats, don`t try and cover it all in one pass. Thats the cause of the blobs / runs. Spray from a distance, keep the can moving and if you miss a bit, DON`T try and cover it, wait until the next coat.

The temptation is to try and cover too thickly. Oh, and the heating the cans is a great tip too !

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

its all about the thin coats, the sprayer in the paint shop where i buy my stuff recons he does 3 lots of 10 coats! wish he had told me that before i did my whole car in 5 coats (compressor and gun though), finish was ok but im redoing it now.

7. thegave Forum Member

If you want to see how bad rattle canning can be I'll show you my wing mirror when I get the car back..

Going back to what someone said earlier, is it possible to powdercoat in matte?

I'd like to have matte powdercoated wheels...