How Much Power From A Digi

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Richard Mk2, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

A quick question for all you Digi 8v GTi owners. :thumbup:

Just wondering if anyone on here is running over 150Bhp or more on there Digi 8v GTi's, safely.

If so what mods are you running?

I'm going to be putting a Digi lump into my Mk2 1800 Driver over the coming months so any tips would be great.

Will most likely get the head polished, and stick a stainless 4-1 mainfold on it mated with my full stainless system, but what else could i consider before i actually fit the engine?

Cheers Guys!!!

2. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

a variety of turbo's! probs bi turbo. and lots of nitrous.
    on a serious note thou, have a search on the engines section bound to be something in ther,lot of people go for lightned flywheels and different camshaft, but these are just words i have heard lol so i have no cue about power gains lol.

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

think you would have to spend a fair old wack to get an 8b upto 150... you would need a 2.0 bottom end for a start i suppose, then cams, manifold, exhaust, TB's perhaps?

4. Richard Mk2

Yea thats true, would most likely have to spend quite a bit on it to get it anywhere near 150bhp.

I do like the engine sound of the 8v GTi's tbh. With a drilled airbox combined with a good exhaust system they do sound the tits!!! And are pretty quick for what they are.
    I do really miss my old 8v, which was an early k-jet [:^(]

I will most likely only do some head work to start with, fit my stainless exhaust system and maybe a 2.0L bottom end. Keep an eye on my thread on Members motors over the months.... Will be posting up my progress... :thumbup: And problems i come across LOL [:s]

Cheers Guys!

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

i was shocked at the induction noise of the 8v when we were driving home. sounded really 'throaty'..... made my abf sound bit weedy in comparison!!!

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

My digi was reboarded to 1.9, 83mm JE high comp pistons, stage one P+P polish, kent 268 cam and vernier pully, full SS custom Roger Clarke exhaust (sounded beautiful) it went very very well as a road car and wasnt bad on the track. It did only make just less than 130bhp and 140ftlb so not big figures but the torque was there throughout all of the rev range. I didnt pay for most of the work but there was around 1500quid in that engine, waste of money imo, better off chucking that sort of money at a valver lump or a 20vt.

There is a digi around that ran over 150bhp and it was still on standard digi injectors (they can flow to around 158bhp IIRC) also a guy called supercharged.....? on here has/had quite a high power one.

7. Richard Mk2

Yours must be well quick with them mods. :thumbup:
    Thats what i'll be looking in the region of now i suppose, a safe 130BHP or so.

I know a 20vT or 16v lump would be a good swap for power, but i dont really want mega power from it, as i want to keep it an 8v GTi. Plus ive already got a 1.8T to play about with [:D]

Basically over the coming months I'm going to tidy up the engine bay, along with a few engine mods, like your has had, and finally get the paintwork back to show condition.
    Try and keep it original :thumbup:

Cheers for the tips guys!! :thumbup:

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

If you want 150 bhp out of a 1.8 8v, it probably won't be a good road car, and you'd end up with a much better car for less money, by doing a 16v conversion.

Having said that, if you want to stay 8v, then a 270 ish cam, ported head, and increased compression to about 11:1 are the things to do at the engine end.

Are you going to run it on a carb, or are you swapping the injection across?

9. Richard Mk2

Yea i will be keeping it 8v. I'll be swapping the injection across too! :thumbup:

Ive had enough of Carbs tbh. They are such a pain to get running correctly. [:s]

Will definately get the head ported, and i'll be looking to change the cam too. :thumbup:

10. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I sold the car with that 8v motor in it about 10months ago and I still regret it, the custom Roger Clarke exhaust was the best bit, sounded 10 times better than my valver on a jetax system.

11. timo16v

timo16v Paid Member Paid Member

2.0 8v ported polished head with oversize valves running on standard digi with refurbed injectors, fuelling chip, 3.5bar FPR, milltek 4-1 manifold, 272 cam, ignition timing 8degrees BTDC, k+n induction.........a good 160bhp

tickover a little lumpy but set to 1000rpm its not bad and flies through mots on emissions:thumbup:

12. mk28vICED Forum Member

you can get good torque figures from a digi my racecar has only a smidge over the standard horsepower but loads of torque all the time cant find the plot but it was either 158 or 168max
    think thats a 282 newmans cam

13. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

145 hp is possible on an 1800 8v with a standard valve size ported head, exhaust & manifold, and 270 degree cam.

Add the above to a 2ltr bottom end, 11:1 c.r & 280 degree cam and 155hp is on the cards.

14. Richard Mk2

Yea 145 sounds resonable enough to achieve! :thumbup:

What make of cam should i really go for then?

Ive been searching for cams this morning, and come across the well known SCHRICK cam's for it.

Stealth Racing do a Schrick Performance Camshaft For the GTi 8v, (304 Degree) for 300, which seems a good price.

http://www.stealthracing.co.uk/show.php?mid=41

Been looking through the kentcams website too, and piper?

What make have you guys gone for :thumbup:

15. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

a 304 cam is way to extream, thats a proper race cam!

16. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

pretty much always open!!!!! lol

17. Richard Mk2

Yea thats true. Iirc, 280* Cams or over are usually used in competition/race conditions.:thumbup: Stupid Me LOL :lol:

So what would be the biggest size Cam i could possibly get away with for road use?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  18. paultownsend Forum Member

iv spent loads on my 2.0 8v. iv learnt alot while building it though.
    iv learnt i should of put an abf in there to start with.

but seriously, i learnt how an engine works. how it goes together, and im pretty proud its going strong after 15k

138hp & 145 lbft for 2.0, bvh, 268'

19. AWK-53 Forum Member

Did it really do that Seb?

My 16V only makes 127 and that's at over 6500rpm!

No wonder everyone keeps pulling out 2 car lengths on me after every bend! [:^(]

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

What he said... but that's if it's built and set up properly. 135ish would be what most people get on that sort of spec.