How much work would be involved....

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by 1981GOLFGTI, Jan 21, 2011.

1. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

How much work would be involved putting a mk2 1.8 16v KR engine in a mk1 1.6 gti, would the engine just slot into the mounts or would they need repositioning etc?

2. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

In your 1.6 Straight in with the mk1 mounts on the KR block, its only the small 1.1 and 1.3 blocks that require the engine mount moving back.

3. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

What else would I need? Gearbox, exhaust, driveshafts etc?

4. Admin Guest

gearbox can be reused with your flywheel, uprate the clutch. exhaust will need to be sorted out.

5. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Sorry my reply was lacking a little! As Jon said above.

If you get the KR with the 2Y box you can either change the output shafts to 90mm or uprate your drive shafts to 100 mm flanges or if you keep your standard box follow Jons advice.

If you plan on keeping the injection, a sky rocket 16V inlet manifold would be good to get hold of to keep it tidy, if you are lucky enough to find this get the manifold at the same time! Loads of aftermarket manifolds available, see the thread on hear.

6. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

How would I uprate the clutch?

7. Admin Guest

you buy a better suited clutch for the torque, something like a sachs uprated item

8. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I'm not entirely sure by how the old injectors would fit on? & if I did buy this manifold would it then be a 1.8i 16v KR?

9. Admin Guest

you don't, you use the 16v injectors

10. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Aah ok, are these cheap to buy or is it something I'll have to save for :lol: The reason I started this thread was because I found a KR engine on eBay for 150 & wondered whether it'd be a relatively easy, cheap swop? Also is 150 alot for this engine? I can post the item number if you want to check it out? I like my engine but these engines look really good in mk1s I think, & I'm guessing they are pretty nippy once finished?

11. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

[:s] ok so would these injectors fit into my fuel distributor? Sorry for sounding stupid, I don't have a clue about this

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

How much did you pay for a clutch recently? [:s]

And it's going in the bin????

13. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Haha I'm only enquiring into what would need to be done, the clutch uprate has kind of put me off as you say, it wasn't long ago I paid for a new clutch. Maybe I need to find myself a cheap mk1 that needs lots of work doing & put a KR engine in that, & keep mine as it is. :thumbup:

14. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I've had a rethink, I've seen a mk1 1.8 GTI engine on eBay with 120k on the clock for 300. would this engine also bolt straight in & would this enable me to use my clutch but with this engine?

15. Sammo123 Forum Member

It would bolt straight in but if it was me I wouldnt bother. The power difference between the 1.6 and 1.8 is next to nothing. Having owned a 1.6GTI and a 1.8GTI I could barely tell the difference driving wise between the two.

And 300 seems very expensive! Do the 16v conversion. The car will be much quicker and much more fun to drive.

16. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

^^^^ If you thinking of going 1.8, you may as well just go 2.0, not sure on the engine code, but pretty sure its a straight swap. Easier than a 16v conversion as no wiring changes are needed. Should be able to pick up a 2.0 bare block for 200 i would think.

17. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

18. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Thanks everyone, Im shocked that the 1.6 & 1.8 are pretty much the same, I thought there would be a noticeable difference. As I've only owned a 1.6 I wouldn't know [:s]

Mk1 valver what car would the 2.0ltr engine be sourced from?

Thanks stu, it sounds like the perfect engine at a great price, I'm currently searching for a cheap mk1 shell so will definitely get that engine from you, just need to get the shell first so I can get to work on the body work/paint job etc ready for the engine :thumbup:

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Some background reading :thumbup:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223181

20. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Hello & thanks for that Chris :thumbup: , I'm really surprised there's only a 2bhp difference! Why does the 1588 have a higher rpm? & also why the differences in torques?