How much work would be involved....

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by 1981GOLFGTI, Jan 21, 2011.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The link isn't about the power, it's about a family of engines which existed for 30 years, 1972 onwards.

They all have the same engine mounting points, so they are all transferable, even if other aspects of them (particulars of the block, the heads etc) changed during that time (8v, 16v & 20v heads, all on the same basic block design).

2. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Does that mean all those engines would fit into a mk1 GTI? So are you saying the block design stayed the same, just the different heads put onto it? Sorry but I'm learning :lol:

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you dont need an uprated clutch, a bog std mk1/2 210mm sachs clutch will be fine, from personal experience :thumbup:
    8v if you use old box, 16v if you use the 2Y 16v box. If your 1.6 GTI box is in good condition, keep it. I used one on my 16v cabby and it was awesome, though a little buzzy on the motorway. if i had kept the car i would have fitted a 4+e 5th gear to cure that.

hardest part of the conversion is the downpipe, you can get conversion 4 branch off the internet or make your own by chop/weld mk1/2 downpipe and keep factory 16v manifold like i did (well, i bought the downpipe i didnt make it :lol:)

lots of pics of how i did my conversion can be found here

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

What I said was all the engine mounting positions remained the same [xx(]

Therefore it holds that they will bolt into any car which had the same type of engine fitted.

I don't know if you're aware, but there are a lot of Mk1 Golfs with 1600, 1800, 2-litre 8-valve engines, 1.8 and 2.0 16v engines, and 1.8 20v engines. Surely you are aware of this?

There are other differences with the blocks, but that doesn't effect their ability to be swapped from car to car and straight-swap bolted in.

This swapabilty is not uncommon, Ford and Vauxhall will have the same situation, although I'm not sure whether they got 30 years out of the same designs, I suspect possibly the Ford Kent engine maybe actually more.

5. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I've just had a look through your build thread, that's a nice cabriolet you've restored :thumbup: What did you end up selling it for? Its a shame I didn't live closer I could've come watch you restore it & learn at the same time. I see the fuel distributor/metering head are on the left hand side of the 16v? Is that how they usually are or did you have to reposition it?
    Also what is that solution that gets rid of rust on brackets/bolts etc & where can it be purchased from?

6. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I'm sorry Chris I understand what you mean now, all those engines are interchangeable between those cars as they have the same engine mount points.

7. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I didn't know that about vauxhall & ford either. Is there a certain reason they keep the same mount points or is that how they find it works best?

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

For volume production efficiencies, ie

The same reason the current Golf floorpan is shared with the Scirocco, Audi A3, VW Eos, Audi TT etc etc, except they have to change those as people expect new models.

They just get a big lazy on engines at times.

9. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Do Lamborghini have Audi engines? Is this what happens as companies buy out other companies? They just switch the engine onto a different shell to save ?

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I hear components such as pistons are shared ;)

Makes for easy volume negotiation when hammering the price down with a piston supplier.

11. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I see, so rather than develop the engine further they keep using the same parts. Just to get a cheaper price for buying in bulk.

12. rubjonny

it went for 1k in the end as i had a clutch issue, would have been easily fixed but i couldn't really be bothered. so i said to myself if i can get 1k out of it i'll sell it with the clutch issue, and i did :)

mk2 have the airbox that side as per factory, the scirocco 16v had the airbox passenger side though but as you can imagine its not easy to get parts ;)

the bracket was a custom made thing, but its just a flat bit o metal with some holes in so not hard to make up. only reason i did this because I couldn't find mk1 pressure regulators anywhere for a decent price and the mk2 one i had in stock!
    you can also use later mk1 cabby/rocco inline pressure reducers couple guys on here are using them no bother. i could have done this but it would have meant rejigging my brake lines a bit plus more money.

tbh you dont need rear discs anyway, drums are more than good enough. only reason i had them was because i bought a beam which had them on already, my old one the shock bolts had totally seized in place and after spending several hours drilling 1 side i gave up and just bought another one :lol:

13. Nicko Forum Member

14. thegave Forum Member

What's a sky rocket manifold?

And there are aftermarket 16v inlets? Like what?

15. danster Forum Addict

That is referring to a Scirocco manifold, they have the TB on the NS. :thumbup:

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've just glanced at this thread, so apologies if this has already been mentioned...

If you've got an early GTI, does it have the the bullet type fuse, or is it the later blade type?

If you have a bullet fuse setup, I don't think it's just a question of plugging the 16v engine loom into the back, so that makes the conversion more complicated, from an electrical point of view.

I can't help thinking that an early Mk1 GTI might be better left as standard, now that they're getting pretty rare - especially if it's a tidy one (and it looks tidy in the pics you've posted of it). You could pick up a Mk2 rocco or a lower spec Mk1 golf and do the conversion on that instead. It does depend on whether you want one nice classic car though, or have time, room and money for more.

If you're going to get into this sort of stuff, you really need to do the work yourself though, unless you're prepared to pay through the nose for it. If you don't want to DIY, it might be better buy one that someone else has already done.

17. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I think I'll keep this one as it is. You're right mike, wise words. Im looking for some shells now & I'm getting prices from 295 - 400. I've found one that is local that is 200 but it needs everything, it has an engine in but from the pictures it looks like a 1.1/1.3/1.5 ltr, & I'm waiting on the reply whether it has the loom etc. It needs basically everything apart from the engine.

18. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I am wanting to do it myself, I suppose the only thing I would get done by an outsider are the brakes, I simply wouldn't trust myself. I think I'd be ok with everything else, & if I got stuck there's always you guys who know & can help :thumbup:

19. rubjonny

the advantage of 16v in GTI mk1 is most of the wiring you need is already there, just a couple tweaks to the loom to extend. the isv loom goes nowhere near the fusebox except for 2 ign live feeds which are easily found plus another ign live for the isv box itself. ecu loom is totally contained in the bay,. as is most of the cold start stuff, and the bits that need fusebox feeds are already in the bay as said. it already has a fuel pump relay too so no need to bother with that, though personally i would add a relay holder above the fusebox for it. i believe the bullet fusebox cars had a recall from VW to do exactly this, its deffo worth doing as they are pone to melt the fuel pump pin on the fusebox.

but tbh if it was my car i would rip out the bullet fusebox and all its loom cos its a sack o cack, fit later mk1/cabby/rocco fusebox and loom then convert that to work with the 16v loom

originality is a funny thing too, if you're honest with yourself about the car its never going to be original as all the bits that were original to the car have gone! the way i see it a 16v engine isn't like blasphemy or anything, the mk1 chassis did benefit from this as std though in a scirocco, there was also the 16s MK1 Golf in france though that was an oetinger(sp?) engine.

My philosophy is OEM+, make it almost original, but better. If you go for an engine conversion, do it right and only sad gits like us on CGTI would be able to tell its not been in there from new. thats how I install my engines. I also sneak in nice bits from newer cars, such as mk3 battery cables and the jumper blocks which make adding nice extras easy, again stuff noone but the biggest geek would notice. All my cars look standard from the outside, its only under the bonnet you have a clue and even then there's nothing obvious to show they've been shoehorned in there.

MK1 really suits the KR engine, trust me :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011