HOW TO: Check, repair and tune your MK2/Corrado 1.8 16v

Discussion in '16-valve' started by rubjonny, Jul 16, 2009.

1. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Im going to give it a run to work tomorrow and see what its like warm, i did think it could be cold start over fueling it... but ill see.. cba with all the injector test and replacing kjet injectors... give me efi any day!

Edit, just been out, lumpyish idle, but did go well on part throttle and was surprisingly quick when using all the revs!

However came home, stuck the co machine up the zorst, and it was a little rich, reset it and will try again.

I did notice though that when up to temp it idles at about 1100rpm, but if I unplug the red lead for the ISV I can set the revs to 950 happily, however with the Ivs plugged in the revs seem to be about 1100rpm...

Just come back from another drive, and with it hot it's revving nicely, no stuttering

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check the idle switch is clicking every time, the upper arm on the throttle can get sticky which stops it from closing. remove the 13mm nut and you can take the arm off to clean and grease. when you put it back make sure you dont catch the spring in the plastic bushes else it'll stick again, the arm should move free and spring back easily under its own power. you may have to adjust the throttle switch or bend the arm slightly if all of the above is ok.

check it gets ignition live too. if you suspect 5th injector problem just unplug it, see how it is.

3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Cheers Ill have a look this weekend... got to work today and it was free revving nicely, no stutter, revs falling gracefully..so fingers crossed its now just the high idle to fix. VEry usefull thread this!

4. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I have checked the switch, it's working fine on a multi meter, and there's 12v to it.

But I have noticed that the ISV is working ok... And that when idling if I wind the idle screw in it will sit at 950rpm all day...but it does mean I am relying fully on the isv to keep the idle, and without it the engine stalls...is this correct? Or should the USB only be needed if the idle gets dragged too low? As if I set the idle to 950 on the idle screw, then get it running with the ISV that is when it idles at 1100rpm

5. Scutler Forum Member

Tried this and it would not start up when i disconnected everything.... i`m obviously not doing something right..!!????

6. rubjonny

if it wont start with red/black isv spade wire unplugged your base settings are way out! you didnt pull both wires off the coil though did you? you only need to disconnect the red/black wire spade thats hanging off the coil plug

7. Scutler Forum Member

Tried it again and it worked, dont think i had the car upto temp first time... not been able to check the emission readings but idles better and no hunting so far... thanks for the advice...

8. Coldforged Forum Member

I have also tried this technique and my corrado wont even start and it is defiantly up to temp aswell. What should i do next??

9. rubjonny

try giving it some revs, then wind out the idle screw till it will idle on its own. then reset co and idle

10. geordiegar Forum Member

Quick question RJ, gonna advance the timing a bit for my cams, do I time it first and then set CO and idle afterwards?

11. rubjonny

yup check the idle and co after you change the timing

12. DanChave New Member

Does and of this apply to the mk3 golf ABF?

13. DanChave New Member

Yeah, I had a feeling that would be the case :(

14. rubjonny

abf has no idle or co setup procedures its all ecu controlled. if its not idiling or is uneven look at the usual suspects, isv, air leaks, cracked wiring round the back of hte inlet to tps and idle switch, read fault codes etc

15. jedi Forum Member

I was giving mine a check over today and found when I unplug the the red and black lead my revs jump up by about 200 rpm [:s] but if I unplug the ISV at directly then the revs drop??? all the senders on the side of head are working ok would this be knackered ISV or the ECU that controls it ??

andyholli likes this.
  16. rubjonny

probably just means base idle and/or co is wrong, adjust to 900rpm & 1.8% co then see how you go

17. rubjonny

ancient how2 has now been completly re-written by me with lots more information, enjoy :thumbup:

18. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

RJ.. those were my pics, I can spot my manky fingers anywhere. lol

Kevin Hayward wrote the original guide which I added to, about 10yrs ago, if not more.. :o

rubjonny likes this.
  19. rubjonny

ah cheers, updated the credits :thumbup:

20. watercooled Forum Member

Yea old post I know but RJ rules again ,newbie to the KR (8v guy for years),lots of good info here,thanks.