How To improve MPG Figures?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by SPERMBANK, Feb 17, 2007.

1. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I thought my valver was eating petrol but it did a 400 mile round trip on one full to the brim tank and still had enough juice to get about for a day or so after. On the trip the MFA read 27.2 to 29.2 on avg but on working it out thats actually alot less than it did.

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

thats really good results. i think the mfa has a vac hose that tells it the load of the engine and it uses that to work out mpg. your vac hose may be damaged, possibly?

3. dubst16v Forum Member

if the bottom end on the engine is in changed in size i guess MFA would be totally out??

anyways i actually worked mine out on the brim of tank method and it was 27mpg lol

having said that i dont care really its all good fun

4. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Too true, sometimes you just have the urge to open her up.

I dont mind splashing out on petrol too much as I enjoy driving my car, and driving and my car are my main hobby. If I played Golf I'd spend money to play, and if I was into football as much as I once was I'd fork out money to see the team every week...

I read an interesting article in top gear mag by James May who claims all those people that hate driving or take no enjoyment from it should be forced to use bio diesel so people like us have more petrol to go round.... legend tbh

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i rag mine about 80% of the time (when conditions allow and when its actually safe to do so) and i still get tons of mpg.... maybe im too soft with it lol

6. gdoors Forum Member

"MPG" who cares go have fun :lol:
    my mk 4 about 32 with regular country road thashings, on the way to work when i'm late lol

7. JaySteed606

JaySteed606 Forum Member

Do the mk3's have a diganostics mode on the MFA like the mk2's? I found the instant MPG read out very useful for working out where I was losing out. I once got 39mpg from my 528i on a 250 mile round trip driving according to the economy meter, 40mpg was a regular occurance when the Jetta was in daily use. I still managed to embarase the usual Corsa's, Saxo's etc.

8. golfgtd Forum Member

My older mk3 1.4 did an average of 29mpg, but that was a small engine pulling a heavy car. But i only did short 20 mins journeys most the time. When i put it on a long distance it changes slightly. But now i have a tdi, same journeys and not much difference mpg, but give it a long distance journey and it will last longer with the same tank. They don't like short journeys, changing gears all the time.

I found out that driving through 30/40 limits driving in 4th gear i gets more mpg than when driving in 5th. You could think of it like this, if your driving in 5th in a 30 limit the engine is trying harder, so its trying to push more fuel through, therefore its using more fuel. But put it into 4th gear it wont be trying as hard, so not as much fuel being pushed through, so less fuel. It does work as long as u dont drive like a t**t.

9. Mk14life Forum Member

Fit an Ecotek Power Valve CB-26P. I've got one on my mk1 gti and its excellent. It works by creating turbulence in the inlet manifold thus improving the combustion process; this means that it reduces emissions, improves fuel consumption and maximises engine performance. The only other thing i can suggest is upgrading your standard induction kit to something like a k&n, or Ramair.

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

wow. how does an ecotek work? what does it do?

11. Mk14life Forum Member

12. Mk14life Forum Member

Forgot to add, it only costs about 50!!! If you shop around you can get even cheaper. Got mine for 40 delivered, and i fitted it myself.

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

I can smell something.....

.................................................................................................................................
    Ecotek reviews:

MAX POWER magazine took the Ecotek CB-26P valve to their Ministry of Testing and this is what they found:

You have heard it before - a product that is supposed to improve performance and fuel economy. Many companies have tried but only a handful have pulled it off. Ecotek are one of the successful few.

Their CB-26P valve is a simple yet effective add-on that can increase power and reduce your fuel bill. Based around F1 technology, the Ecotek CB-26P causes air turbulence in the inlet manifold to increase combustion efficiency.

I tried one out on my Mk1 Golf. I fitted it to the brake servos breather pipe, approximately six inches from the inlet manifold. There was a noticeable improvement in throttle response especially in the mid range. And the frequency of my petrol station visits had dropped radically.

I usually get about 100 miles for 15 quid of unleaded, but with my new best mate I am averaging around 120 - 130 miles. And the best bit is that the faster you go, the greater the benefits reaped.

taken from here:
    http://www.directcarparts.co.uk/ecotek.htm
    ...............................................................................................................................

So your telling me if i fit this little thing on my mk1 i will get anything from 20-30 miles extra for every 100 miles!!!! :clap:

I ain't laughed so much in ages :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

what does it acutally do, or did you fit a part that you have no idea what it does? lol

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

looks like such a load of tosh.

have you tried a resistor of justice also?

16. Mk14life Forum Member

Product Review - Ecotek CB-26P Club GTi Magazine

It's not often that you get an invitation to test a new gadget in the motoring world. So when one was posted to the Club GTI e-mail list, I jumped at the chance to find out exactly what the Ecotek CB-26P device was all about.

I'd heard a few things about the device and read the review in Revs magazine, but I couldn't fathom how such a small "valve-type thing" could do what the manufacturers claimed it could. Such claims as "it reduces harmful emissions by improving the combustion process, this also means that it improves fuel consumption, reduces exhaust corrosion and maximises engine performance".

wpe84712.gif (2090073 bytes)The whole idea of the CB-26P is based around the Fl "swirl" technology. It allows small air molecules into the engine, via the vacuum pipe leading from/to the inlet manifold, thus providing a better suspension of fuel molecules in the mixture and therefore improving the combustion process.

Now I don't know about you, but I wasn't convinced that this thing could do all that is mentioned above. However I was more than willing to test it out for all the folk out there who want to know what it's "really" like.

A quick phone call to Vince at Stealth Racing (01926) 812259, who are approved fitters of the device, and a time was set to have it fitted. With Stealth located in Warwickshire and me in Dorset, I had an early start on Saturday morning. I got there just before 9am to find the place deserted apart a standard 16v in a parking bay.

Another Mk 2 soon appeared and Vince introduced himself and the car was dropped into the workshop to have the gadget fitted. A cup of coffee and about 15 minutes later and the job was done, easy. Just before I started her up Vince warned me that it would make some noise. Not in my wildest dreams could I have imagined the noise it actually makes. All I can compare it to is the last drop of liquid being sucked through a straw from the bottom of a drinks carton, that kind of slurping, gurgling noise. Not exactly what I wanted having gone to great lengths to perfect the induction noise from the air box.

I was assured though, that this was normal (Footnote: Induction noise goes away after 1-2,000 miles as the device beds in.) and that I would get used to it, and to some extent I have. There was one occasion though, just after it was fitted, when I pulled up at some traffic lights and revved the engine to see how loud the noise actually was, and a passing pedestrian tapped my window and said, "I think there's something wrong with your car mate, it's gurgling"!

My initial impressions once fitted were great. I got back on the motorway and put my foot down and there was instant response in 4th the same as I was used to in 3rd. Pulling out to glide past the car in front in 5th actually turned into "fly past the car in front". It was quite unreal just how much difference this thing actually made! That was the performance factor accounted for. The fuel consumption was also better, getting an extra 60 odd miles more than my previous average off a full tank.

Now that I've had it for just over a week, I'm still impressed with it. I travel about 36 miles, cross country, to work, and then sit in traffic for about 20 to 30 minutes, all in all taking about an hour. Now they do say that the CB-26P works best on motorway travelling, which I agree with, but it also works reasonably for me, travelling back and forth to work, giving me an extra 30+ miles on top of what I usually get.

As for the emissions, well I got a new rear box the day before I had the CB-26P fitted and, after cleaning it on my return from Stealth, it's retained its shiny stainless steel finish so far! So the claim to reduce soot and the like from your exhaust fumes could well be accurate too.

Absolutely everything you could possibly need to know about this product is listed on the Ecotek web site which is: www.ecotek.org.uk

The Ecotek CB-26P retails at 48.99 including P&P and VAT, or 55.50 plus vat fitted. However, Stealth Racing are offering it for 50, including fitting, to all Club GTI members. If you are not happy with it, you can always return it within 30 days. They are guaranteed for 2 years or 20,000 miles, which ever comes sooner, so you have a fair back up!

So what is my over all conclusion? Well, I am exceedingly impressed with the CB-26P. There are so many benefits to it and for just 45, you would be pushed to find something equal to it for the price. You get used to the noise after a while, although I have been advised by Ecotek themselves, that this can be muffled somewhat by putting a foam filter around the valve. These are not factory items, so a bit of DIY is called for! Now that I have had one, I couldn't go back to how the car was before I got it!

Club GTI Member: Chris Richardson No: 10608 January 2000

..................................................................................................................................

17. fthaimike Forum Addict

that review is for the mk2, any pics of one fitted to a mk1?

18. oak8vgti Forum Member

tosh if you ask me, have removed a few due to them rusting up and leaking causing running issues

19. Mk14life Forum Member

.....................................................................................................................................

go to http://www.ecotekplc.com/images/fittin6.gif

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

I noticed the tests are done on small cc engines, how does this compare to tuned performance ones?