how to polish up poor paint job

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by G60KG, Feb 26, 2008.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Hi, Just bought a nice mk2 8v Golf. Bodywork is great apart from the paint job it has had on the roof. It hasnt been done too well and it has a very flat finish (matt). what is the best way of brightening this up without spraying it again. Ive heard of mopping that involves sanding but not sure how this is done

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I think if its really bad you can use a very high grade wet and dry, then polish it up.

Or use a cutting compound which is like a harsher version of t-cut and use that to bring it to a shine then polish or wax on top.

Either way, get yourself a machine quick, by hand won't be funny!!!

3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

thanks, got any names for the cutting compound and sand paper grades? also I have a halfords ocillating machine but would a fast drill be better?

4. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

they do stuff in halfords called rubbing compound, not sure about the grades but get the highest you can find, and if it does no good step down a grade

5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Seen a garage use this stuff, couldnt remember the name its G4 or G3 compount to use after wet sanding - it removes all sanding makes permenently www.farecla.com

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

yeah thats the stuff.... they use slightly different stuff down boat yards etc is really good.

Do some before and after pics, would be interested to see how it goes

7. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Before and after pics thats a good idea, hadnt thought of that. Just hope the weather is good over the weekend. I just called the local stockist and he said G4 is finer so I will use that after sanding with 1500 grit wet paper...lets see what happens.

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

my house has a 3 foot wall round the parking spaces, ideal for polishing the roof....

not that ive ever done it lol

9. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Door sills will have to do for me

10. Pete Taylor Forum Member

If you're going to wet and dry it first, make sure you try it on a small area first. Get yourself a spray bottle filled up with water, the paintwork needs to be kept wet at all times otherwise the cutting compound will just burn the paint. Make sure it's wet when using the wet and dry too

11. Golf Nut Pete

Golf Nut Pete Forum Member

1500-2000 wet and dry paper until perfectly flat (use flat face hand bloc), take it easy on swage lines and pannel edges. if you can get 3000 grit 3m trizact pad and finish on that then it would make polishing easier and faster.. You can use g3 to polish up but i prefer the 3m range like trizact compund, i find it works faster and you dont need water either so is less messy.

12. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

thanks for the tips I will try and get hold of the 3M stuff in time for the weekend, if not I will just give it a go with the G stuff. Would I need to use a finer compound after the coarse? or will fine sandpaper and polish be enough. Im sure the stuff will come with clear instructions though but any tips are welcome as I done want to mess the whole thing up

13. Slangwerks New Member

Woah!!!
    Why is everyone advising to wade in with the wet and dry when it hasn't been established if this is required?

A matt finish can be down to oxidisation, if the pain has oxidised then taking wet and dry to it is using an anti-tank missle to crack a walnut.

If the paint is single-stage then I'd first buy some meguiars scratch-x and have a real good go attacking a small section with it - this will tell you whether or not you need to go to the trouble and effort of colour sanding the panel.

If the paint is clearcoated (ie basecoat and lacquer) then going nuts with sanding is likely to result in striking through the clearcoat into the basecoat - respray required!

Personally I'd attempt to correct this with a light abrasive hand polish first, such as poorboys SSR2 or Sonus SFX-2, or 3m Finesse-it fine cut - then progress up to wet sanding only if required. The first rule of paint correction is to use the least abrasive product possible, so you retain as much paint thickness (and therefore protection) as possible.
    Golf Nut Pete's advice is sound, so follow that if you don't have any joy by hand.

14. Collie Forum Junkie

?? has it definatley got laquer on it?

15. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

not really sure to be honest. I take it this would make a difference?

16. Golf Nut Pete

what colour is it? might just ave dulled off in the sun light and just need a buff up and not need wet sanding.

17. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I think the colour is royal blue. Almost black but comes out lovely blue in the sun. I dont think it is fading. It looks like poor spray job (probably to cover up scratches or something. Maybe I should try something like claying first to see how it reacts, although I think it needs an aggressive treatment.

18. Golf Nut Pete

if its as bad as you say it may need re painting. Give the polishing a go first see how it goes.

19. Martin_Hill_1989 Forum Member

i have a 1.3 mk2 with a flat blue paint job it is orgional still and only the roof is bad really and i wanted to know what could i use to give it a bit of better shine and also it does not have laquer on as when i re-sprayed the wing it says dont use laquer .. the colour is martirime or something like that any help please

20. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I done my roof yesterday, I will try and put up spme pics It came out great. Before you could see a very blurry reflection in the paint, now it is spot on. I used 1500 grit wet sand paper from halfords. then worked in some G3 rubbing compound. finished up with some Zymol just to protect it.