how to polish up poor paint job

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by G60KG, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Danallkins

Danallkins Forum Member

2. vwgolfgtinut

vwgolfgtinut Forum Member

if you go for the G range, its made by Farecla, great stuff and simple to use. Start at the G3 then once you've finished with that go to G10 Liquid compound, this gets rid of the swirl marks that you will get from the first round of polishing. Be sure to use plenty of water and dont let your polisher dry up as you'll burn the polish into the paint. When your happy that you have the shine back, apply a good quality sealer/polish to the paintwork 3M Dolphin glaze is the mutts nuts, but i personally prefer to use Farecla Gold Top glaze then once thats looking shinier than a shiny thing i apply 2 coats of chemical guys jetseal 109, leaving 20 minutes between coats. Its a long drawn out process but so long as you do it right the results are amazing

3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Well I have used the G3 after 1500 wet paper and the finish is amazing. I would not recommend using a machine, do it by hand. I worked very lightly and repeated if need be. I found the G3 works better with light pressure and keep adding water until it is almost all water but keep rubbing lightly. I done my bonnet too but need to go over the swirl marks again near the vents otherwise a great combination but use caution and only if it really needs it.

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

show us then..... you promised [:D]

5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

it was quite hard to take a picture of it but here is the best one. red circle is after the polish up and green circle is before
    [​IMG]

6. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Image is not in focus. In reality it shows a very clear reflection where it has been sanded and G3'd

7. jerryedition New Member

hi mate,i do this for a living and to me that looks like its been badly laquered (in wrong temp,to cold)[:s]
    or the clear coat is to thin??..............it is defo not original paint.
    if the paint work is good(base coat) you would be best lookin into getting it laquered again.
    dont flatten small areas to much tho,or you will end up with dark patches.
    hope this helps mate?:)
    cheers
    jerry

8. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

It was definately not original paint. the picture does not do it justice but where I have treated it it has come out perfect its just that the camera was not in focus. when treated the paint there was absolutely no colour transfered onto the cloths I was using so I guess it must have laquer on it.

9. mk2sixteengolf New Member

to be honest i think painting it again is the only way your going to solve your problem. i work in a boddy shop and see this at least once a week. but it looks kike you have done a good job considering!! you could try a compound paste called G3 and an electric mop should bring it up quite well. when you have finished mopping it use auto glim , super resin pollish its a white bottle with the black writing on. it is made aspecially dark colourd cars.

10. gt-eye New Member

car washers ruined my paint

The sun was shining on Saturday, the car was dirty so while visiting my sister in Chigwell, I thought I'd take it to the local car wash which my sister uses. They sprayed some chemical on my car mk2 just before shampoo. It's completely f***ed the shine on my car. I am livid. Came home and started polishing with Mer which did not work. Then got the T-cut out which seems to be helping but when I look closer, I can still see spray on the bodywork thats made the paint dull.

What do I do next? Other then report the lot of them to immigration.