how to replace the oil seal in a 16v distributor

Discussion in '16-valve' started by MUSHY 16V, May 1, 2009.

1. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Someone was asking me for one a short while back
    I'll pm you

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

They arrived quite quickly. Nice little job to do this weekend!

[​IMG]

3. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Having punched the pin out and disassembled my distributor, I find that the fibre washers need replacement. (One of them has completely broken into fragments.)

A very rough measurement with a ruler (as I've misplaced my caliper) suggests they are about 0.8mm thick, with ID 12.5mm and OD 20mm.

I've searched but cannot find any off-the-shelf fibre washer that's anything like this. Therefore I think I may make some like Mushy did.

I'm going to attempt using some of this 0.8mm SRBP:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Various-S...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2597390031

4. MUSHY 16V

Just made two for someone else
    I'll make a few more

5. idlirp Forum Member

Sorry for reviving this thread as the DIY is very clear, but we reconditioned the seal in my friend ABF and checked this thread just in case.
    First thing, i am really pi$$ed off with the imageshack and other online photo recipients as they never offer a free permanent solution. We are in 2016, how hard can it be to upload the images directly to the forum?
    I just wanted to edit some things, especially the "hammer with no mercy", DONT DO THAT! I was lucky first time i didnt break the whole thing. Try a wooden support and make sure it lays in both sides.

I will try to upload the photos elsewhere and link again to the forum.

6. MUSHY 16V

Aye you have to be careful removing the pin as it is easy to destroy the distributor drive
    I wouldn't use the driving lugs like some people use
    I opened the vice and rested the drive flange over the gap that was just bigger than the pin and gently drifted it through

You can upload pictures direct to the forum but you have to be a paid member to do so I use photo bucket thought it is sometimes a pain as well but better than imageshack

Feel free to add what have done and any differences between mine there are a few different distributors with slight variations

7. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Just rebuilding my dizzy after the Hall sender i fitted 10 year ago as finally packed in.

fitted a KR Dizzy @ GTI Festival just to get the car on the trailer 10 from auto jumble ( original Boscch too)

The ABF had an original Bosch Hall Sender fitted when i rebuilt it, cannot find Bosch anymore so i'll be fitting a FACET one.

8. MUSHY 16V

I did wonder about a new Hall Sender for mine but it looks a different fitment being non genuine :cry:
    could you post pictures when you change it

9. wone New Member

thank you