How to wire triaxial 3-way speakers?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by thegave, Dec 5, 2008.

1. thegave Forum Member

I recently came into posession of a pair of 6x9's which I thought would make a nice upgrade. Now that I've discovered the miracle that are spade connectors (sliced bread!!) I've decided I may as well try to fit them and see if my HU can drive them.

On the back they're labelled as triaxial 3-way speakers and I noticed they have two sets of terminals as such:

[​IMG]

and on the front there are separate tweeter and mid-range cones.

So the question is which terminals do I hook the wires up to, and if I need to wire up both, where do I get the second pair of wires from? These are going in the boot of a 1990 1.6L Driver...

Cheers

2. TROUBLESTARTER Forum Member

thats not 2 sets of terminals just different options for spade sizes
    wires up as a normal speaker
    triaxial just means 3 way so you have your 6x9 cone(bass)
    a midbass speaker and a tweeter all in one basket

3. thegave Forum Member

If I wanted to run my 6x9s and 6x4s together in the boot could I link the 6x4's to the spare terminals on the 6x9s?

4. TROUBLESTARTER Forum Member

you could but why would you want to
    also if you do that and are running them off the h/u speaker outputs you can damage the h/u as it is not designed to take a 2 ohm load which is what it will get if you hook up both sets of speakers

5. thegave Forum Member

Resistance halves in parallel?

***. um, I don't want my new 6x4's to go to waste ha... they are literally brand new and un-used. unil I tried soldering the old VW black plastic connector onto the terminals.... =\

I've seen a pair of JBL 6x4's with 2Ohm impedence though..

6. TROUBLESTARTER Forum Member

your h/u is not designed to take a 2 ohm load do it if you like but be warned it can and probably will eventually burn out the fets in the h/u and you will end up with a blown internal amplifier
    if you really want to do that then i would reccomend you fit an amp that will run at a 2 ohm stereo load

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

amp the 6x9 and run the 6x4 the headunit ?

although no point really...6x9 are gona drown out the 6x4 easily

8. thegave Forum Member

try and sell the 6x4's then.

damn. they really are quite nice.

9. neil kaye Forum Junkie

if you get a 4 channel amp to run them you can ballance/fade them so you get the same power out of them
    or if you feel brave wire the big ones in paralell and the small ones in series

10. thegave Forum Member

the whole idea was to spend as little money as possible =\

but someone gave me the 6x9's and since the 6x4's don't seem too fond of bass... well why not.

amps are expensive =(

Unless someone has one they want to give me for christmas?

11. pigbladder Forum Addict

just choose one or the other...more speakers doesnt mean more sound quality

infact why not sell all of them and save for some quality speakers in the doors

6x9 are pants ...and a thief magnet

12. thegave Forum Member

worse than 5.25?

because mounting door speakers would mean buying the speaker pods as well which cost more than the 6x4's and then I'd have to reroute the wiring into the door.

and I wouldn't be able to blast my choonz out the boot while I'm unloading at tournaments.

plus I can't really sell the 6x9's, i think they're on long term loan..

13. neil kaye Forum Junkie

you can pick up amps rather cheep,but if you dont wanna buy one dont use the 6x9's,they need to be driven by an amp realy,you can use the h/u but imo you may as well run the standard shelf speakers for the sound youl get

14. pigbladder Forum Addict

my personal opinion is some nice speakers in the door pockets..5 1/4 can sound good or 6 are better

and maybe a small sub in the boot..i dont like my music blaring out from behind me

15. thegave Forum Member

yeah that's really annoying me at the mo cos I took the factory dash ones out. But the replacements are here so I'm hoping once I pop them in all will be well again. I just wanted to move up to the 6x9's because I was hoping they'd handle the bass a little better.

I mean how cheap can you get an amp for, I'm guessing about 40 minimum right? then there's the wiring *shudder*. unless it's as easy as the spade connectors.

no one wants to give me an amp? =(

Oh, on a semi-related note, could anyone explain how I might be able to mount the 6x9's to the parcel shelf supports in place of the 6x4's, if this is possible?

cheers

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  16. neil kaye Forum Junkie

probably get an amp alot less than 40 quid secondhand i once got 3 for 40 quid,not named ones obviously but if you get a mosfet one there very cheep and use good componants,,you wont get 6x9's in the shelf supports but if your very careful you could peel the material off the shelf,mount some mdf under it,cut the holes and mount the speakers under the shelf then restick the material back down,youl get good sound using the mdf and good security,i.e the fact you cant see them on display

oh and the fitting kit youl pick up from a scrappy just look for the totaled boy racer crap,novas ,corsas 106's,saxo's etc

17. thegave Forum Member

Might have come into a stealthed parcel shelf hopefully that will come through. And I will have a 2m square piece of MDF for nothing.

how would you wire up an amp? Just plug car speaker cables into amp and then new wires from amp to speakers?

i.e something like this?

Does this sound like a good bargain? I thought Sony stuff was fairly expensive

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  18. neil kaye Forum Junkie

the small amps ok but id go for something like the sony but by now its probly been sold bargain at a 10er that if it asnt gone fr more
    easy wired
    one pos to bat with fuse
    one neg to bat or chassis
    pos feed from the h/u when on tho the remote on amp
    on rca lead from h/u to amp and then your speakers f/l -f/l+ etc

the mdf will help the sound a great deal with the acoustics

19. thegave Forum Member

yeah the Sony went for a 10er.

To me!! Wasn't that cheap though dude wanted another 10 just to post. Knowing my luck it'll probably come DOA.

But damnit it sounds horrificly complicated, I'd have to remove the HU as well?

If its only two channel would I be able to wire a sub, whcih I'm assuming is the next logical step?

20. neil kaye Forum Junkie

still think its worth it,sony explode are quite good,yes h/u will have to come out to fit the two rca plugs,assuming it has them(if not youl need a voltage divider,unless the amp has one with it)rca connectors are the red and white round plugs,like the ones on a tv or video(white,red,yellow ones)best to wait till you get the amp and check the back of the h/u then we can go from there
    the amp looks like its designed to just either run two speakers or one sub,not together tho
    if id a known you wanted a sub too id a said get a 3 chanell amp

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008