How would you describe your GTI's performance?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by DanGPR, Sep 6, 2008.

1. DanGPR Forum Member

I recently picked up a high milage (175000) Mk2 GTI and tbh, it doesn't feel quick at all.

The idle pulses up and down, and the whole thing just feels flat, and it doesn't want to rev up in the top part of the rev range, even in the lower gears it seems hesitant when it gets to the top of the rev range.

I intend on doing the tune-up in the FAQ as it is a digi car, but should this make it better? At what point does one of these engines need new piston rings due to lost compression? What should the compression even be on these engines?

Thanks for any help, Dan.

2. 1982.rpd Forum Member

Just do as says in the FAQ first, change dizzy cap, rotory arm, renew blue temp sender (from VW) and give it a service, new plugs, oil filter and oil and airfilter if its dirty. do this first should make a difference. Check vac lines for air leaks, if you replace any lines vw do them cheap, be carefull when you remove the old lines as there is a little plastic 'T' that may break as mine did:lol: .

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

a mk2 8 valve should feel powerful and make you smile a bit.... sounds like yours in knackered lol

4. OldDirty Forum Member

did you check if the throtle cable isnt lose ?

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

sounds like the timing is out to me

6. hypojam Forum Member

Yea definitely tune it up as the guide says, your power output should be doubled no joke.

7. benny-g New Member

To be honest, a mk2 gti, whichever it may be isnt really a fast car in my eyes. look at the 0-60 of most modern family saloons and theyre about the same some better,lol. I bought mine because i heard so much about them being, the legend that is the gti etc. To be honestr, i was dissapointed to say the least. If you want performance on a budget buy a jap turbo car gt4 gti-r etc, or go even better buy a bike like i did, GSXR baby, never looked back,lol. Thats my rant over, all in all i was bitterly dissaointed with the golf gti, back in its day maybe, but now ppffftt......

........waits for the abuse,lol.

8. cormac Forum Member

to the rant above i kno wat ur saying but its not just the speed u go for in a mk2 GTI its the looks of the car the simplicity,reliability (you dont have to strip a pile of plastic off the engine to actually get to something!) and i dunno bout you but i wuld say they were quick i dont kno wat was wrong with the 1 you were in but from 0-60 it wuld give some modern day cars a run for their money!, my 2.0L 8v will do 60 in bout 6.5 secs and for a 1995 car thts preety OMG!

9. DanGPR Forum Member

It deffinately isn't making the power it should. My friends almera SRi (1.6 16v , 98bhp) feels alot faster.

This being my first car, it should feel pretty quick!

It was recently serviced (dizzy cap, plugs, HT leads, air/oil filters, oil)

Will get a new blue temp sender, and maybe spllash out onan exhaust analyser soon. I take it the tune-up isn't too difficult?

10. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

describe my GTI's performance, better than yours?

11. pipster Forum Member

Jeezus .......what you done to it?:o

12. 1982.rpd Forum Member

It should **** all over an almera sri. Get the blue temp sender from VW only.

13. JIMMY GTI Forum Member

fukin el, thats a very quick golf baring in mind a saxo vts on paper does it in about 7.2 n id say they would rip a gti apart off the line! i used to have 1, **** cars but quick. id say its more like 7.5 to 60 i reckon

14. WillG

WillG Forum Member

isn't a standard 2l 8v mk3 0-60 more like 9-10seconds?

15. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

My 2.0 8v no way does 0-60 in 6.5 I dont think that even if it had the power it would have enough traction[8-}]

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds liek you got 2 probvs there, idle switch not working diue to incorrect switch position, snapped wire or incorrect throttle adjustment and the timing is wrong.

17. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I will be running a standard abf in a stripped out mk3 and if i saw anything under 7 seconds i would be dead chuffed.

Matt82 has timed his 60 run - wonder what he got??

18. cormac Forum Member

unless my watch is wrong?? well myb there is a bit of over reacting, lol i just love my golfs to much :p

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  19. 1982.rpd Forum Member

A 16v mk3 should do 0-60 in about 8 seconds standard I thought, an 8v mk3 would never do 6.5 I thought it was about 10, I doubt my mk2 2.0 16v would do it in 6.5 lol

20. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

or you're on crack!!! :lol::lol:

mk3 8v that fast, there no quicker than my driver, i'd say around 10 secs 0-60, you'd bloody know if it was 6.5..........