i hate uni

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Guests, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mk2driva Forum Member

totally agree

Wheres the vote den button :lol:

2. mk2driva Forum Member

now hate uni
    bn workin ass off on a project all this week, go in this mornin to finish it, an all the comps crash and i cant access half my stuff!! the thing was meant ot be in at half3! makes it worse tutor aint in or responding to emails and the rest of the department are off cos it was their crimbo nite out last nite! [:x] [:x]
    Ah well calls for a sesh down the pub 2nite! [:D]

3. Rahul Forum Junkie

hello,

just to add my input.

I studied Chemistry and am now doing a masters at Imperial and have got a couple of job offers with massive graduate starting salaries, definitely more than I could earn working without a 'useful' degree.

The problem with the majority is that they study useless subjects at University with no direction and come out in massive debt and as employable as a loaf of bread, on a pathetic salary with no decent job prospects or job progression.

Going straight into work from School is ok, but unless you are in high rising field or very good at what you do, the majority of people end up earning the same for years.

I think Universities should stop teaching useless courses which have no real job prospects afterwards.

Anyway, whats the point in starting a dead end job for life at 18. [:s]

Enjoy life, you work to live, not the other way around.

Uni life is great, loadsa fit birds, sex etc

You can't grumble.

But I have every respect for people who work their arse off and end up earning a mint. My dad is one, but he is an absolute genius.

Ciao
    Edited by: CabrioRags

4. Rahul Forum Junkie

sounds like you missed out on grammar at school as well ;)

5. ManicGTI Forum Member

But Rags....you're looking for jobs in purchasing :lol: :lol: , lucky you did Chemistry eh ;)

Uni origionally was never about degrees for jobs but the pursuit of knowledge. Whereas now its viewed as a career choice.

Agreed that Grads that look down on people who havent taken the uni route should be shot, have no time for that. Having said that I also have no time for people that havent been to uni being arsy with people that have. and that happens just as much.

I the pub I used to work in was mainly frequented by people that hadn't been to uni but had worked from school. Including a lot of ex-classmates etc. I got on with 90% of them but I did actually get abuse because I went to uni. why? what teh feck did i do to them? nothing thats what. really p***** me off.

6. superden Forum Addict

Many people view university as a means to avoid full time work for another 3/4 years.

There were several people on my degree course who openly admitted that as well.

The problem is that no-one is allowed to be an under achiever. Everyone must have the same opportunites etc etc. This is all well and good but the simple fact is that for society to function you need people at the top and people at the bottom. Some people are destined to live their lives at the lower end of the scale but society now gives them what is essentially, false hope. The whole notion of anyone being able to reach the top of the ladder is farcical.

The system is now in danger of being excessively top heavy as more and more people graduate from university expecting top jobs. To fill the gap at the lower level companies either employ immigrants or farm the work out to countries like India. The pseudo middle class graduates then complain that British industry is on its knees, scarcely (if at all) aware of the fact that its the disproportionate number of graduates that is causing the lack of British skilled workers.

University was once indeed, all about those of above average intelligence pursuing knowledge. It is now seen as a stepping stone, the sole purpose of which is to avoid the lower wage brackets.
    Edited by: superden

7. stuu Forum Member

the point is media related courses are renowned for churning out a great deal more media graduates than there are actually jobs for them to apply for.

while its true that some people in the industry get paid silly amounts, in general media graduates have a very low employment rate.

as some one else has already mentioned, its also a classic example where on the job learning can get you where you want to be much faster than a degree could, and is therefore seen as a "going to uni to get p***** for three years" degree.

however if you wanted to be an architect or a doctor or an engineer, then it would be impossible to achieve this without going to uni, as lives depend on you knowing your sh1t.

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Girls who get degrees and then go off and have kids, never having a job again because they are "stay at home mums"..... should be made to pay back the full cost of their university course.

9. stuu Forum Member

agreed. i cant think of too many cities i would rather go to uni in - purely on the basis of having fun outside of study time... plus birminham uni has a really good reputation.

unfortunatly i'm in oxford - due to course selection it was either here or swansea - and miss brum quite alot!

i also thought slating brum for not being "diverse" had to be a p1ss take too! just out of interest i'd like to know which cities are considered more diverse!

whilst some parts are a bit ghetto, and i could see how they might scare the sh1t out of some one used to more rural surroundings, you will get that to some extent in all cities.. and for someone looking to work in media, i think you're going to need to get used to it. :)

10. stuu Forum Member

true, but you also have to consider that it would have cost him about 12k to actually go to uni, and a further 60k in lost earnings while he was there!

would take some time to re-coup that deficit.

11. Golden Forum Junkie

Worse still, the wasters who do 2 years of a three year course and then drop out! Then make out like it's ok cos they have a student loan, like that covered the true cost of the course!!!

12. superden Forum Addict

Worse STILL.

People who drop out after 2 years then still act like they deserve graduate status [:s]

`I dropped out as it wasnt challenging me enough blah blah f*cking blah` [:x]

13. Guests Banned

THE PPL AT THE UNI ARENT DIVERSE NOT BRUM ITS SELF!!
    WE ALL HEAR f**kING GUNSHOTS AT NITE AND MY MATE SAW SOMEONE WITH A GUN WALKING DOWN THE ROAD! A BIT GHETTO?????
    where we are isnt nice and im sure its not like that everywhere but im just saying what i see!

alix

14. stuu Forum Member

agreed. except they pull alot of students in which would otherwise not be studying there. i suspect most of them are good money spinners too, so uni's are unlikely to stop teaching them.

15. superden Forum Addict

I hate city life. I`ve lived in one all my life and it blows :)

16. Joe16v Forum Member

He started on way less, like 12k, and i think he is still sub 20k. But my point was that he could have gone further in the long run with a degree in that field.

17. Guests Banned

i tell ya what for all the media poo ur on abt-

i am academically challenged and have worked my f**kin ass off at college for 3years and manged to come out with a grade that just got me in.

i cant be a f**kin docter, or a dentist, lawyer whatever. but i finally found something that interests me and will hopefully become my job one day. i love adverts, i love the way they work how u remember them what they say between the lines and thats what i wanna do!
    i dont wanna look in some grotty old mans mouth to fix his teeth and i cant coz im not clever enuf!

i did poo at school, good at college and so far iv done well at uni. i dont wanna stack shelves at tescos thats not job satisfaction!

whats wrong with ppl that dont want to do these "superior" jobs? at least there trying to work hard at summat else instead?

18. mk2driva Forum Member

Theres nothin wrong woth them, just the general perception is that they are doing a course like media for a skive as they dont know what they wan tto do andit stops them for working for a little longer. Unfortunatley this is the experience i ahve of these sort of people - i have several friends who 'study' media. There only problem is that they never go and have no genuine interest in the subject. You may have a genuine interst in the media - i dont doubt that - unfortuantley you are tarred with the same brush that says everyone studying media is a skiver or whatever. Its much like myself - everyone labels accountants boring and it as very boring subject. Yes it may be boring at times but i have to argue that i dont see myself or many of the people i know who do it as boring.

19. superden Forum Addict

What someone does for a living is in no way representative of what they are like outside of that work environment.

20. mk2driva Forum Member

Thats the way i view it but you would be surprised at the amount of people you talk to and when you tell them i do accountancy - there reaction immediately changes and there alwyas say 'oh you must be dead boring' im like f**k off if you think that then. Burds are the worst - but its a good way to whether a burd is 'worth' it or not. What soemone does for a living in my view shouldnt affect your perception of them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.