I want to supercharge my ABF, advice needed!

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Carl loader, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Carl loader Forum Member

Hi guys, after goin to edition 38 at the weekend and following my mates (one in a rallye and the other in a G60 syncro), i need more power so want to look into supercharging my ABF maybe next year

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on various pistons, rods/compression ratio that i would need to go for (want to do it properly, so no extra thick head gaskets) and where to get them/how much they'll cost

Any other pointers would be great

Cheers, Carl

2. Jonny777 Forum Member

Look into the Golf G60 Limited's.

Im sure there will be some information about what bits it had changed from the original KR to take the supercharging.

I cant see the ABF being much different to the KR.

Are you sure you want to supercharger it though? Surely a Turbo works better with a 16 valver?
    Then again, i know bugger all... :lol:

3. Carl loader Forum Member

Yeah the turbo probably does, but i like the idea of a charger, bit more original to the mk2's. Im not looking to do this for a while yet, just wanted to start to get an idea of parts needed and money required

So far, i know i need the following:

Supercharger
    Charger mounting bracket (already got)
    Intercooler + piping
    G60 throttle body (do i have to use this or could i use ABF one)
    Modified inlet with right hand throttle body mounting (can do this myself)
    Management
    Pistons and rods (possible lightened and balanced bottom end too?)
    Probably loads of others bits too like where to position alternator, other brackets etc

Any advice is much appreciated

4. steve r

steve r Forum Member

5. Golf Nut Pete

Golf Nut Pete Forum Member

6. Golf Nut Pete

spelling balls up, its n7ndo instead, or eatonmk2

7. Aphex Forum Junkie

How's that supercharger working out for him? There's a ford probe around here with one fitted and tbh it's a bit crap. Saw it in a magazine and made 163 at the fly or something, probably to do with the fact it was bolted onto a ford though..

8. coilbox Forum Member

BBM stopped making the kit

and the S2/RS2 pistons that are perfect for KR turbo dont fit the ABF block, so I guess you need new bits.

They have very good prices for "piston/rod combo"

9. Aphex Forum Junkie

I take it they'd fit a 9a though..?

10. Carl loader Forum Member

Have you got a website for BBM? Also, if they don't make piston's for the ABF, do you know who might?

Cheers

11. Golf Nut Pete

from what i read off his threads he used two metal head gaskets to lower compression and gets good results. not sure if its still running reliable mind, he may still post on e38 so you could ask him, i have lost my log in details as i dont frequent that site very much, wouldnt mind askin a few questions myself.

12. Carl loader Forum Member

One thing i will have to make sure is that the car is reliable as it will be a daily driver, so was a bit iffy about using the double head gaskets. Just had a look on the Phirm's website and there currently doing a 2L 16v G60 in a mk2, might have to pop down there and have a look

13. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Carl,

Supercharging your 16v is not hard.
    You do not need pistons or rods becuase this is a under 300lbft application. You need to talk to a chap called N7NDO or eatonmk2. The "iffyness" about twin gaskets is simply ignorance as I my run this method to lower the compression and have done 6000miles at nominal 10psi low and the occasional 16psi high boost. The head bolts are the original ones the engine came with in 95.
    If my motor was built to go beyond 300lbft@ higher revs than I run now then I would consider H sectioned rods and uprated pistons to return my squish and carry my reliability threshold higher. You would struggle to get 300lbft with and eaton M62.
    In some instances the static compression is not lowered at all just careful attention is paid to spark calibration.
    There is aslo a guy called G60ORE who has a working example of this in his mk1 and he would gladly you take you out in it, then you can see for yourself what can be done after careful planning and a budget. His car was converted to this system even though he used it every day. N7NDO also has one but is being painted at the moment.
    On a STD ABF with a eaton running low boost/low airflow 190lbft @5700rpm( yes we drive torque) can be easily achieved. Even from 1500rpm the thing is kicking 140lft. Torque (175lbft) is usable until 6800 bhp peak
    The charger does not change the character of the engine just makes it feel like a bigger 16v.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  14. Aphex Forum Junkie

You can't argue with those figures. See if you can persuade G-pes when you see him ;) :lol:

15. richard green Forum Member

look on huber-rennsporttechnik.de just looked they list g lader for your engine problem is its in german have a look at ame-racing.de they might do g lader

16. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

What sort of costs are involved in charging ?

17. Toyotec

Depends on how much you can help yourself.

18. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Put simply, I cant !

Really looking at the cost to source all the parts

19. Toyotec

You need to feel a car like this before thinking about going down this route. This what I suggest.

20. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

I dont think anyone in Scotland has done this, maybe when i come down south ill see if someone close by has one, just to demonstrate.