I want to supercharge my ABF, advice needed!

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Carl loader, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Yandards Forum Member

Running stock injectors whilst I run it in then switching to 340s as the 'off the shelf' map from BBM is designed for green tops.

Managment is staying standard digi ATM, will be looking at squirt sometime in the future but want to get it running first.

As for finishing it I have been nearly done for about the last 6 months, waiting on a few bits from VW then it's probably just a couple of days of graft to get it running...

..so next year then ;)

2. Carl loader Forum Member

Ha ha, projects are always the same mate, take forever. How are you goin about lowering the compression? And when you say 340 injectors, what sort of car will they come off/where would you get hold of them

3. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I had no joy at all with the BBM chip.

5. Yandards Forum Member

I am hoping that as I am keeping stock injectors for the running in period and using a standard pulley it will be ok enough in the short term.

Comp ratio as I am using a 1.8 block then I just used S2 piston and rods to give me 8.5:1.

Unfortunately as already mentioned they don't do them in anything other than 1.8l sizes..

6. Carl loader Forum Member

Can't find your thread on E38, have you got a link?

7. Golf Nut Pete

Golf Nut Pete Forum Member

8. eatonmk2 Forum Member

9. Carl loader Forum Member

Cheers mate, much appreciated!!

10. Carl loader Forum Member

Just had a good read through Eaton's E38 thread, loads of good info htere, but the one thing that i still can't see is how he mounted the charger? Eaton, you out there mate?

11. g60syncro Forum Member

Any more updates Carl?

12. Si16vAnni Forum Member

Hi, What sort of price are you looking at for purchasing all the bits you need for a turbo or supercharger for a abf 16v?

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

For a turbo you could be looking at the 2K mark. Thats what is costing me so far

14. Si16vAnni Forum Member

Thanks. What do you reckon is better for a 16v abf? Supercharger as its has a belt driven directly connected to the engine or a turbo which gets its power from the exhaust? Looks like a supercharger is easier to install but just costs more.

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The supercharger is a cheaper option as it does not need extensive modifications to the exhaust system.
    If the supercharger used are Eaton M45/62 units from Mini or various Merc vehicles, then you should be ok using the STD engine. It has been observed on various projects that stacked gaskets help to reduce the onset of detonation by lowering the static compresion by more than a piont when running over 6psi of boost pressure.
    You do need special robust bracket to be made to integrate the supercharger assembly to the engine.
    Costs and quality vary on if you can do most of the work for yourself.

As already indicated turbocharging is a bit more invovled and should result in an engine that can achieve greater output than one with a crankshaft driven supercharger. However one must be careful that the base engine hardware is capable to deliver the targeted performance feel particulary if this setup is to be much more potent than a typical supercharger application.
    Experiments show that a stockish ABF engine on stakced gaskets can be run very close to the edge or robustness with turbo assemblies. To increase robustness beyond torque measurements of 275lbft and revlimits of 7500r/min you do need to get the wallet out and start blueprinting a bespoke assembly.

Again the costs of such undertakings are really based on how much you can do for yourself and what contacts you have to locate certain key components.

Hope this clears up any issues.

16. Si16vAnni Forum Member

Thanks for the information Toyotec. My gti is standard apart from being chipped. So with the superchager, does any company sell most of it as a kit and how much would you know how much the cost is roughly?

17. bigbeat

bigbeat Forum Member

There are companies that sell kits but are rather expensive and they just use the G60 supercharger. Prices can vary alot. If you want to just pay for it to be done, it'll cost more but learn nothing. Whereas if you build it yourself, research it for various bits etc its worth it.
    If you want I can give you a price break of what its cost me so far, as I haven't got to making hoses for the supercharger yet.
    I've got most of the bits ready but its just piecing it all together.

18. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Send me a PM.

19. 85mk2golf1.3 Forum Member

sure throw up the price there bigbeat just so people can get a jist of what its gona cost

20. Si16vAnni Forum Member

Pm Sent Toyotec.
    Bigbeat - Thats Neil? You doing the abf converation on your golf?