Individual Throttle body casting (Cosworth?)- must stop buying!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by drunkenalan, Jan 12, 2010.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

nope! still on the shelf!

2. Rapid_Gav Forum Member

Lol, I really need to get a move on with mine, I can't bear to have the Polo sit another year off the road [:^(]

Two further companies today took a look at the drawings so I'll let you know what they quote.

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Whats all that about Dave?

4. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Solex made horizontal twin choke, 'doppelgasser', carbs for quite a few cars. Probably the best, and rarest, were those used on the NSU TTS. Hence, I hope that these are not the twin chokes that are being destroyed!

Solex also made triple choke downdraught, 'dreifachrgasser', carbs for Saab, Lancia and Porsche. These are uber rare, and must not be destroyed either!

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the set im destroying have already been cut up, but they are very DCOE like in appearance

6. Rapid_Gav Forum Member

The set of DCOE type Solex's I've acquired from Danster are in no way destroyed. They'd just need replacement plates and screws, which I've seen pitch on the Bay of E from time to time.

Two jobbing shops here in the City of Discovery have turned down the pleasure of tackling the throttle spindle... damn it.

I'm thinking perhaps a bamboo cane variant would be more achievable, but would have the obvious disadvantage of losing a huge amount of 'scene' points.

7. POL

pol Forum Member

whats the issue with it gav? i know a man that probably can. he's north of glasgow in the sticks. best to give him a phone with the requirements and he can advise from there. will pm details.

8. Rapid_Gav Forum Member

PM sent!

9. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

trying to push this forward i have ordered a 5/16 brass bar for the throttle spindle, and some ally plate to act as an adapter plate to bolt the trumpets, TPS and things too.

10. danster Forum Addict

I am going to communicate with the machine shop we put the shaft into. The trouble was the slot needed a specific size of slot wheel to match the butterfly widths.

11. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

have you not got a set of butterflies dan?

A guy from work brought me in a set of TJ throttle bodies from a late 60's racing imp, they have a slot machined like the one you talk of dan, in a brass rod, im going to pinch a few ideas from them.

12. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Forget about a full length shaft, but use a number of small shafts. Groove/slot/slice ends and taper ends too. Assemble them all starting at one end, sliding in the short shafts.
    Short shafts catch on sides of T.plates say 5mm, put your screw in here.
    You will also have slightly better airflow because you wont have the shaft spanning the full width of T.plate(s).
    Or you could just mill down a flat into shaft and screw plate to that.
    Both methods are common.
    Far simpler machining too.

13. danster Forum Addict

The manifold casing does not really allow that though Brian. It is very nicely made and of a light construction, we do not want to hack it up as it will also weaken it substantially too.
    Believe me I have looked at trying to fit the shafts from the solex carbs in to allow inter cylinder balance but it is not easy.
    They were originally designed for F3 so I presume not overly concerned about tickover and the like. Just one shaft straight through all 4 ports.
    I thought about two shafts and balancing them against each over from either side with linkages at these points.
    It really is a sad reflection of this country when nobody is interested in the slightest of doing something out of their comfort zone.
    I bet in Poland or Romania you could go into an old machine shop and they could do this no sweat. But here in the UK, with all the CNC machines, technology and money they are just not interested. [:^(]

14. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

I see no problem as to why it could not be done, as in no problem AT ALL. 5 shafts and away you go. 2 of them shafts with just a slot on 1 end, these would be the two shafts for each end.

15. danster Forum Addict

No problem if you have access to a machine shop that knows how to use their machines!
    Sadly over here, there is not a sole who gives a flying f### about trying to do something different or understands the satisfaction of doing a job nicely and has a benefit to there efforts. You would think folk in machine shops that have an interest in cars would love to be involved in creating something.

16. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Ok...
    Im just making a point that 5 shafts slotted in the ends will be far easier to machine than a long shaft with slits, and they will work just as good, if not better:thumbup:

17. danster Forum Addict

No worries Brian.
    It was just perfect the way the butterflies all fitted onto the shafts. I left the clamping screws slack and closed the throttles to allow the plates to find their totally closed positions and then nipped up the screws. You could see no light at all when you looked through the bores up to the sky.
    I was just looking at the drawing again and note the bore centres are 88mm on the two pairs.
    I reckon if the one piece shaft is a no go, I will investigate the weber dcoe shafts. They have 89-90mm bore centres so may be very close to fitting two shafts from either side and make a twin drive linkage from either side. :thumbup:

18. BADALO New Member

Cylinder head 8v

HELLO BRIAN, WAS VERY CURIOUS TO SEE THE RESULT OF YOUR PROJECT 8V WHEN YOU CAN PASS ME SOME INFORMATION, MAINLY ON THE PART OF THE HEAD THAT YOU ARE REWORK WILL BE GRATEFUL.

Sorry for the DONE BADLY WRITTEN, I live IN BRAZIL AND NON-mastering English.

LOOK AT HIS WORK ON THIS LINK:

http://www.clubgti.com/FORUM/showthread.php?t=205299&page=9

19. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I'll throw my hat into the ring of people with an 0014 manifold and half an idea to make my own 8v ITB's. Also have a solex 40 spare. I have a few other projects to finish before I start this one. Ho hum

20. danster Forum Addict

RapidGav actually got a shaft machined for the butterflies. It was a first attempt and I felt could be finished slightly better, but looked to do the job.
    Will give him a shout and he can update. :thumbup:

Did you just buy that one on Ebay Jon?