INDUCTION KIT UP TO 13 BHP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by emma3533, Feb 21, 2004.

1. emma3533 Forum Member

I HEARD THAT SOME INDUCTION KITS CAN GIVE AROUND 10 BHP +, IF YOU KNOW, CAN YOU PLEASE TELL WHAT ONE. I THINK ITS PIPERCROSS

2. paul.ekc Forum Member

Sorry to dissapoint you but you'll never get that from an induction kit alone!! Whatever the make!! ;) Depnding on the car it can actually retard the performance of your car! Best bet is a performance panel filter!! ;)
    Edited by: paul.ekc

3. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

none! well... not unless you drive a saxo.

4. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

aha CWP...

5. smokesho New Member

what kinda car? what engine etc. ? the right kit on an SHO would add ten HP, but as far as GTIs go, u'd probably need (in my case anyways) something from the head forward to get that much of an increase

6. Golden Forum Junkie

It's all a question of percentages.

Yes you might see 10bhp if you fitted an induction kit to a 500bhp V8, but on anything below 250-300bhp the only time you'll see 10bhp is when the previous Saxo owner tries to sell it on Egay.

7. eViL Forum Member

Er.. Sorry to urine on everyone's bonfire but I had a pipercross Viper Kit on a previous car which gave excellent and physically noticeable gains.

I had the car rolling roaded and was very pleased with the return..

VERY good induction kit. Arguably the best.

8. Black-Mk2-GTI Forum Member

What was your gain from this viper kit? I'd imagine only big boost turbo cars could extact an extra 10+bhp using induction kis.

9. eViL Forum Member

Dude I don't wanna talk about it.. it was a Peugeot for god's sake! I'm embarrassed [:$]

But really.. I ran a peugeot 106 GTi 16v engine with the Pipercross Viper kit plus a straight through exhaust system (and I mean straight) and it dyno'd 145bhp that's +25bhp from standard.

I know what you are all gonna say.. but I can't argue with the rollers! The viper kit really did make a difference to the car.

Believe it or not. I don't care.. I have a big shiny induction kit called a Supercharger these days..

10. Davs Forum Member

isn't that the same 1.6 16v engine as found in the saxo vts????

:lol:

no wonder u got an extra 25bhp!!!!

sorry, but i just had to...

11. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Evil - did you dyno the car std on a set of rollers then dyno it with the induction kit and exhaust on the same rollers after?

or did you get the mods done, take it to a rolling road and get 145, then compare that to std quoted power firgure?

i'm guessing the second one.

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

Me too, you can drop or gain BHP between different rollers as we all know but if you stick to one set of rollers when your modifying only then will you find out your gains.

When i had my first 2.1 8v i had about 128atw & i fitted a 1.6 metering unit instead of the 1.8 & drilled the airbox, added k&n filter & power rohr pipe.

Results = 135atw
    Edited by: fthaimike

13. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

Induction kits greatly improve throttle response but dont make a massive difference on bhp.

Emma dont get a foam type one as ther crXp and not very good at stopping all the crud going into the engine- go for something like a K&N and get some cold feed piping to it?

Dont bother with a Panel filter as they make no difference what so ever.

Chaps- get over the Saxo thing... People cant help not having any taste and any way a Vts would see you lot off with 8 or 16valve puny lumps!!!! ;)
    Edited by: GRINGOG60

14. vwpolo2000 Forum Member

induction kit is a worthwhile mod but don't expect big gains, 5% probably but no more.

15. jake Forum Member

and definatly heat shield it, mine seemed to loose power in the hot and sunny british climate.. (well it did one one day in the two years I had it fitted :lol: )

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

Hmmm i smell Poo :lol: 120bhp 0-60 7.8secs 1/4 mile 16.9secs says Citreon but we know what official figures mean :lol:

17. Davs Forum Member

my valver is quicker than any saxo vts ive raced including my cousins that has a green induction kit and straight through exhaust...

and to think my engines got 120k under its belt, its quite refreshing don't u think!!??? :)

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

Which is why Saxo's suck :lol:

19. Black-Mk2-GTI Forum Member

Only 16.9sec 1/4 mile for saxo VTS? That sounds too slow. An 8v Mk2 Golf GTI could beat that! [:s]
    And if that Saxo figures correct a 16v Mk2 would destroy it in a straight line!

20. greg s Forum Member

When the Saxo was released a lot of the car mags beat Citroen's figures. It's well known that the Saxos were aimed in an insurance-conscious way and it's a widely-held belief that Citroen "massaged" the figures down a bit to make the VTR and VTS easier to insure.