INDUCTION KIT UP TO 13 BHP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by emma3533, Feb 21, 2004.

1. bored_Welsh_lad Forum Member

im sure u would prob find more of a gain with a drilled box and a performance filter than most of the lower end induction kits! as has already been said unless u run something like a viper sealed unit ur more than likely goin 2 lose power from engine bay heat!
    i think panel filter and drilled box is a more worthwhile investment myself

2. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

well as i say i saw saxos' with just filter and exhasut running mid 15's at santa pod - which is better than i can get out of mine - but i don't race from traffic lights so i guess the saxo drivers *may* have had more practice.

but i've still to find one that will keep up...

3. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

My mate did an assignment for his Uni car course about N/A tuning.

He has a Clio Williams.. and did a RR test to check for gains from his induction kit.

The 2 runs where done within 5 mins of each other on the same RR... he made 9.7 bhp more when the induction kit was on.

4. eViL Forum Member

You guessed it right Dex. I was only interested in bragging to everyone about my 145bhp to be honest. I thought it was a lot at the time.

6 months later I'd had enough of getting whooped by my mate's MK4 1.8T everytime we went out so I bought something with a little more potential..

Good engine the 1.6 16v, but limited and very expensive (5000 supercharger conversion)when it comes to major mods.

5. eViL Forum Member

Also, I bought the VR6 with the money I got from selling 106...

so I 'hope' I made the right decision.

Getting Closer to that 5000 engine mods mark every day though..

6. Golden Forum Junkie

This threads gone cockeyed.

What everyones lost sight of is how subjective induction kits are.

Just because one kit makes 10-15bhp on one car doesnt mean it will on another.

Some may argue that if you start with sh1te (Saxo) then its easy to improve on poor French design but harder to improve on German engineering.

Another thing to bear in mind is if you dyno a standard car, to do a before and after, you may be comparing a standard filter with 10,000 miles of dust and rubbish in it against a nice clean, new go faster item.

I think my final thought would be, if you do see large gains it would suggest the factory filter is sh1te, not that the aftermarket kit is the nuts. So you cant then say that kit A,B or C is great as it may make no difference at all on a better car.

7. vwpolo2000 Forum Member

I think they are worthwhile considering they are not that expensive, and anyone can fit one.
    K&N or equilavent is worth using just for the fact you won't have to change the filter again.

8. edc1 Forum Member

But you still got to clean it and reoil it as and when needs be.

9. vwpolo2000 Forum Member

Yes thats right. You only need to clean it and re-oil every 60k.

10. paul.ekc Forum Member

If you gain or not could depend on if you get it set up right!! Yes anyone can fit one but it can lead to flat spots through the rev range, not good!! [:^(] ;)

11. edc1 Forum Member

Don't count on it for that long.

12. vwpolo2000 Forum Member

Ok thanks, i'll bear that in mind.
    Still got to better than replacing it every couple of years.
    I suppose it depends on if you want to keep the car for any length of time.

13. edc1 Forum Member

Bear in mind paper filters are changed every year and they are full of cr*p. I had an ITG which I just left in for 2 years then threw it away and replaced it - did hoover the airbox tho.