Info wanted please: zerstorer from c&r

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by harryvr6, Jul 25, 2011.

1. harryvr6 Forum Member

Hi Steve, glad to hear you are still doing em! We don't hear much about c&r these days which is a shame. I used to love the 'ask the brain' feature in the golf mag for instance and the articles in vw audi driver about your cars too. Interesting that you have a mk1 golf on the go would like to see/read more about this one!

I still say zesty was my favourite mk2, the appeal was the fact it looked fairly innocuous but was a purpose built motor from an expert tuner, plus there's something about tornado red mk2's. My best mate bought one from volkswizard a few years ago which is a known hill climb car. It was featured in vw driver and it is a very well executed car, I'd still take zesty over it though.
    I'm making do with an abf conversion in my mk2 at the moment running on Kjet. I would like to have some engine work done in the future, all in good time! I'm currently battling a bad starting problem which having asked around seems I think/hope to be centred around a slightly faulty non return valve or accumulator but apart from that it's a good motor.

I'm hoping we might see zesty undergo a small resto Steve (hope Neil is reading!) would be great to see you update the old girl.

Thank you and all the best,

Harryvr6.

2. Crasher New Member

The Mk1 is my own Blitz from back in the mists of time but I just dont have the time to work on it. Old School wise customers cars are a barn find Mk1 88 Cabrio I am resurrecting,

[​IMG]

Also we have in a customer from Dublins Mk1 93 cabrio we sold him a quite a few years ago with 12K miles on it and did lots of upgrades to before it went such as 256 front discs and rear discs, it is the one we used in the Golf + to show those disc conversions and the Mk2 servo conversion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few years later we did a gas flowed head and new hood and every three years he brings it back. This time it has had a massive refresh right the way through with clutch, tyres, brakes, some paint, new Rivage decals, Bilstein B12 to replace the dead Weitec, new powder coated filler neck, even down to a NOS seat base foam and backrest as they were going soft and the back rest had cracked, even though the car has still only done 30K miles! I have also pumped its innards out with 12 litres Dinitrol and coated the underside with six litres of their new clear wax, it looks stunning.

Another customer car is an Oak Green Mk2 2 litre 16v that I built and have worked on since he bought it in 2000 (I looked after his 2L 16v 88 I built before that) gutted to the bare shell, completely rebuilt and painted the floor with etch, Wrth seam sealer, Wrth stone guard and then base coat and clear,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it is now in the paint shop (he could not do its bottom!) and when it comes back it is getting the 3L V6 Turbo I am building with a 2WD converted Golf 4M V6 6 speed box.

Another is also an Oak green 16v 2 litre built by someone else who shall remain nameless for their own sake and we have painstakingly recovered it from near death (who builds a 2L 16v and sends it out with a non-working oil pressure warning system and dead cooling fan?) and now after rebuilding the rear end, suspension (someone built a Bilstein kit with our Comfort kit bought by mail order with the front bump stops on the back as they thought that was the way it should be, the front does not need the bump stops) and a Hi Spec front conversion with a 24-mm master cylinder conversion. Next is a bare metal gut out respray and full leather re-trim. Another we have been working on is sorting out a long term home build Mk1 track car project and that is just about done now. Other than that our day to day life is modern stuff, A8s, A6s TTs, remapping new stuff, its very varied plus the mail order side is very busy from our fleaBay site.

This is another Mk1 I am doing (what is it with Oak Green?) but progress is painfully slow at the moment as the owner seems to have lost interest which is sad

[​IMG]

On a separate note, does anyone have an interest in a 91 16v four door? The owner was one of my favourite customers ever and we had been looking after this car for years but sadly he passed away a few months back at the age of 86. Last year I completely reconstructed the fuel filler cap area inside and out to deal with that nasty Mk2 issue (full pics available on request) and only a few months before he died I did a partial engine rebuild with new rings and rod bearings plus a fully gas flowed head by Dave at All Stages, the engine has barley been run in. A few years ago I rebuilt the original and correct 2Y box to an insane level with new clutch, the list of bills is daunting! I would love someone to take it on who will sort out the not brilliant paint, there is no obvious rot anywhere.

[​IMG]

That's it for interesting stuff, ohh except the 2 litre hybrid turbo Leon 1 Cupra R we are building for another chap. I have a Mk2 16v coming over from Spain late this year for a 2L conversion hopefully if all goes to plan.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    tshirt2k, A.N. Other, jamesa and 3 others like this.
  3. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Wow great to see an update from Crasher on here!
    Looks like you are keeping busy matey.

Crasher likes this.
  4. Crasher New Member

Yes, back in the saddle after being off with a bad back. I stopped coming on here many years ago due to the abuse I got, hopefully that won't still happen!

A.N. Other and Ben S like this.
  5. harryvr6 Forum Member

Brilliant stuff Steve, it's great to see some proper cars still being used and worked on, the modern stuff just doesn't do it for me anymore! Glad you are busy too, are you still finding time to dedicate to your aeroplane hobby too?

The mk1 you mention at the top of your post is that blitzkrieg then? That was the large capacity 8 valve was it?
    It's good to see the 16v cars are still popular, are you a fan of the whole abf conversion thing which has become popular or are your conversions based on the original cars motor with the capacity increase and improvements being made to the motor to retain the engine numbers etc?.

Some great looking work you have carried out there Steve, those cars are going to look amazing. There was a rivage I saw locally a few years ago that obviously had been breathed on as it went like a scolded cat! I hadn't previously considered one of these but shortly after I had bought my mk2 I saw a lovely one on auto trader for a great price, maybe one day I'll get one!

That's a real shame about your customer and the car too, it looks like a great car that was obviously well loved and enjoyed.
    Try advertising it in the classifieds on here maybe to get some interest in it, or vw driver maybe.

Like I say great to see c&r doing well, I wish you were a bit nearer to me, I would be a regular' we've got awesome on our doorstep which can be handy but the personal touch I feel has dwindled.

Keep up the good work and keep the progress pics coming if you can,
    Cheers, harryvr6.

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Crasher,

You are always welcome here, once you come to talk about VW cars and it does not get commercial.

From the looks of it you seem to be doing pretty well :thumbup:.

Crasher likes this.
  7. Crasher New Member

Yes I will do my best, as long as the abuse doesn't start again.

8. Toyotec

Any abuse to you we will not tolerate. Just let me know or report the post if it does.

Crasher likes this.
  9. mk1. Forum Junkie

welcome back :) is the lammy for sale?

10. Crasher New Member

What you mean the red shed? It is a bit of a mess/pink/blistered, doesn't run and the engine management system sucks! I will take a picture next week just to show you what getting old, having a bad back and no spare time does to your past dreams.

11. Crasher New Member

On the subject of raising projects from the dead, we may be revitalising my Golf 1 GTI AKA "Blitz" as a bit of a publicity thingy on Facebook and Instgram. I'll let you know.

12. Toyotec

Good to see you back on here Steve.

Please do feel free to let us know :thumbup:

Crasher likes this.