Insurance for 17 year olds on mk2 golf

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by miller 666, Jan 9, 2011.

1. miller 666 New Member

Hi all
    I've had such a hard time this year with regards to insurance, I passed my test 15 days after my birthday in march and its been mayhem. Ive been down as a named driver on some of our cars but not had my own policy in my name as I simply couldnt afford it. I have since bought a mk2 golf 1.3 and insured it through footman james on a classic insurance policy in my own name for 1340 with Club GTI discount which is fantastic! So a huge thanks to Club GTI and footman james for this. Im over the moon and its feels to good to be driving a mk2 again! Also for any other 17/18 year olds out there struggling like me I would deffinatly say its worth it. Breakdown cover included as well and when I've sent some pictures in an agreed valuation.

Many thanks

Oscar

2. theboymike Forum Junkie

Fair play, glad you got it sorted :)

1300 for a 1.3 Golf though - f*cking extortion tbh..

3. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    is one thousand three hundred and forty pounds the going rate for a youth on most vehicles nowadays? or is it more?

i know back in 1998 i was paying in the region of 850 on a 205xs, with inflation that sounds reasonable, until you say it like i have underlined above :lol: - i have heard stories of mummies boys with rich families paying upwards of 2K on gtis as first cars at 18.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

and im moaning about 411 with all mods declared!!

5. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Good price, I paid 1200 for a 1.2 nova almost 9years ago on the day I turned 17, from what I hear if a 17yr old wants his own insurance nowadays its around the 3k mark.

6. miller 666 New Member

Well the cheapest i found for a 1L polo was 3000, I have yet to find one cheaper to find to insure otherwise.

7. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I pay 1800 for mine & I'm 25 :)
    a friend offered me a mondeo st24 for 500, cheapest quote was 8k :) no way Jose

sometimes it's best to pay that little extra to get what you want :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  8. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

At 17 I'd take 1300 quid right now. I'm paying 780 at 21 with 3 years NCB on a standard 8v GTi.

9. mike ashman

mike ashman Forum Member

alright mate.
    how did you get a quote at 17 because ive just been on fj website and they wont insure anyone under 25?? The cheapest quote i have found on the internet so far is 1800 for my 1.8 gti golf mk2 with admirl and im 18. i just want to check to see if i can get it any cheaper with fj before i go ahead.

cheers mike

10. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Go and buy a GTi and take Admiral's price. They've quoted me more than that on said GTi with said NCB.

11. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

i can get you fully comp cover for 1000 regardless of modifications and age

12. aidanb22 Forum Member

My 1st year was 1200 TPFT on an 89 1.0 Fiesta, back in 2001
    2nd year was 300 on a 91 Fiesta, as a named driver,

Frowned upon, but NCD means feck all, my insurance is higher now than it was when I was 21 and had 5 points (clean license and 6 years NCD now)

13. Phat Ass Forum Member

I got a random quote a few years back for an RS4 (why i keep taunting myself i dont know) and it was 1200. if i added my gf on the policy who had a learners licence only. it was 750. Thats about the closest i've ever got to buying one. But its nice to think 5 years (at the time) ncb counts for nothing compared to a woman with a provisional licence :|

14. miller 666 New Member

Hi mate
    You need to quote your club GTI membership number if your a member, If not then they can give you the discount and you have 14 days to provide the membership number.

Cheers

15. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

well done, that is a very very good price for someone of your age and motoring experience, 3k-4k is commonly heard of for 1.1 fiestas for your age, not many people in this country are happy with thier quotes at the mo, and youve got one of the best looking cars ever made, now take care of it and start saving for that gti:thumbup:

16. clart Forum Member

My first year was 2k tpft on my 16v mk2 when I was 18 and that was my first car. Now I'm 21 and it's a grand fully comp with 2 years ncd with the missus on it and it's lowered. I'm with admiral now.

17. miller 666 New Member

Well been doing some random insurance quotes as you do, when im 18 at the end of march I can insure a mk4 golf gti 1.8 turbo for just under 2000 fully comp. So looks like NCD really aren't all there cracked up to be.

Although ignore all this 10 month bonus accelerator scheme ****, most company don't accept it as a no claims discount, have a google.
    So Im looking at paying about 2400 at 18 but what 18 year old doesnt want a 1.8 turbo, golf gti with big leather recaro seats !

18. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Oh, but it does make big difference... ;)

It`s just that, right now, at your age the considered risk outweighs most of the benefit you`ll see.

Once you hit 25 you`ll be glad to have as much NCD as you can. :thumbup:

19. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Wow... I'm 24 and am paying 501 for my Leon Cupra....

20. thegave Forum Member

Doesn't FJ only insure above 23?